Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 700 klms from Jeddah to Khamis Mushayt.
I was forced to make this ride when I unexpectedly made a deal in Jeddah for a Magna 750 in swap for my Daihatsu 4x4 and it had to be done there and then. I had only gone to test the bike and show the Daihatsu so I had taken my crash helmet and a leather jacket but nothing else.When the dealer said he wanted my car straight away I thought OK no problem it's a nice sunny day, after all it is Saudi, I will ride back down the coast. Big mistake, I got 75 klms down the coast road and was stopped by the Police,what the f**k have I done now ? This very nice Policeman explained to me that this road is too dangerouse for motor bikes,I explained to him that being English I was used to F**k Wits and that I have ridden thousands of miles in this country but no go, I must go back to Jeddah. I turned back but then later turned off to go through Taif and over the mountains,second big mistake. Before I reached Taif I was stopped four times by the Police and had to explain why I was riding a motor bike to Khamis Mushayt and the fact that I worked for the Saudi Air Force and had to be in work the next day. After having another cup of tea with the Police Captain he said you can go now but it is raining in the mountains please be carefull,yes,yes, OK let me get going. The climb out of Taif was steep and the higher I climbed the foggier it became and the rain started,as I got to the top the rain was getting heavier but being a 'rufty tufty biker' I kept going.After a while the sun came out and dried me off, as I came down a valley I could see flashing lights in the distance, it was a car accident and the car was on it's roof in the middle of the road,as I aproached the accident I slowed right down and could see that the driver was still in the car. The Police took one look at me,stopped what they were doing and pulled me in,checked all my papers and asked me loads of stupid questions,this process took a good fifteen minutes when I reminded them that the driver was still in the upside down car to which they said no problem he is dead. On my way again and it's raining and foggy and getting dark and I've been stopped by the Police six times. I have just entered a town and it is raining hard, as I approach some traffic lights another F*****g Policeman waves me to the side of the road , I show him my papers and he makes shore they get soaking wet. On my way again and in the same town at another traffic light I am waiting in the que and beep beep beep, it's another F*****g Policeman, WHAT !!! I shouted and he said, Honda, very nice motorcycle. :oops:
By this time I still had 400 klms to go and it is dark and cold, my clothes are soaked through and I am in the middle of nowhere. At every petrol station that I stopped at they thought I was mad when I put my arms around the engine to get warm.
I arrived at my compound at 23.30hrs after thirteen hours having been stopped by the Police fifteen times and not booked once. I just got off the bike outside my villa and got a very hot bath.
There is much more to this story but I don't have the time to go into detail.
I get my new Burgman 650 next week, but not from Jeddah. :D
Cheers
Ian

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Good story, thanks for sharing.

We went 1,200 miles on a trip, saw the police once, when we were getting gas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi vfdcaptain,
Saudi is a Police State and there are checkpoints along all auto routs and before every town and village besides the mobile patrols. Bikes are not very common apart from the main cities and certainly not in remote areas.
I was riding a bright yellow Magna cruiser which attracted a lot of attention under normal conditions.
When I first applied for a Saudi bike license I had to visit four different Police stations to sort out the paper work,at one they took my finger prints.

Cheers
IAN

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ian
Thanks for sharing that story with us. Too funny - if you are not the 'victim'.

As I read it, I thought this is like something out of Candid Camera - but then the Sauds are not known for a sense of humour. :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Norm,
If I had a £1 for everything that has happened to me in sixteen years out here I would be very well off. Candid Camera would have a field day but it would be true to life not made up. I have enough to write a book and give after dinner talks.
Example---- Stopped on a service road by Policeman for going the wrong way,as were all the locals,the Policeman then exited the service road the same way that I was going, ended up with five tickets on different dates.
Interogated for four hours by Secret Police for spying. I was reported by someone and all I was doing was eating a Herfy burger on a hill overlooking the local car market and I have MOD security clearance to work on the air base.

Cheers
Ian :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Damm, aren't you afraid of being shot/decapatitated by a Qaeda freak? :shock:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim,
I have never been subjected to any hostility,it is only a minority of extremists which do not have the support of the majority of the Saudi people.
Am I afraid? I would be afraid if I was taken hostage but I would also be afraid if I was sliding down the road, I don't let it bother me, I just take precautions.

Cheers
Ian :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
You can't let fear keep you from doing the things that are important to you. As soon as you do that, the bad guys win. Reasonable precautions are important though. I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable 2005 in all parts of the world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts