Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with or knowledge of the Freedom scooter. It's a 250 CC and looks like a Helix. I saw it on E-bay. Guess it has a Yamaha engine, and it's built in China. :)
Thanks for any info.
Steve

·
Registered
30,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
They wrote up one of the Helix clones in the Oct - Dec issue of Scootin' (The Scoot-Tours publication). The one they wrote up was the Fashion CF250T distributed by Sunflower Scooters. There are apparently several of these Helix clones being manufactured in China. The review was written by a person who purchased this clone, and had put about 200 miles on it. Not exactly a "long term" test. Although this is not the one you saw on E-Bay, I'll recap his comments.

It looked, ran, and acted just like a Helix. It came with standard alarm system and remote start (which worked fine), and a terrible AM/FM/Cassette radio. Any volume at all would distort the speakers. Fit and finish was mixed. Metal parts looked very good, plastic OK except for cheap quality and fit in the dash area. It had digital gauges that were difficult to read in direct sunlight. No shop manual is available. This person had seen other Helix clones - some that were selling on E-Bay. He stated that they are not all of the same quality. Some had speedometer and odometer that read only in kilometers. He cautions that you need to ask a lot of questions about return policies, shipping costs, and warrantees. Find out if the seller actually has a brick & mortar dealership. Know where you will get parts.

It sounds like this is very much a "buyer beware" market.

·
Registered
806 Posts
And while they are very competitive when you compare "New helix to new clone" they are not worth the risk when you figure you can get a used Helix with low miles for $2500-3500. I would rather have a used Honda with the quality plus dealer and parts support.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Thanks for the reply guys. There is a brick and mortar dealer in Holland MI. 25 miles from me. He's one of the dealers on E-bay. I may go down and take a look at one. I'm kinda looking for something smaller for my wife to play with, but right now I'm just lookin'

Thanks again,
Steve :cya:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Steve,

Having a "brick and mortar dealer" nearby would make it a bit more tempting. If you swing by, ask about replacement parts availability.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a Vento Triton R4 knowing full well that it was nothing but a Chinese cloned scoot ... but although the quality might leave something to be desired, the mechanics have been sound and for $1500 out the door, who can really compain? I paid more than that for my bicycle. Come to find out that the motor is a Minarelli, same as used in the Yamaha Zuma and probably many other 50cc scoots. It has nowhere near the quality of a Kymco, but for the price it is a really nice ride. I guess there are at least two sides to the equation and so far I am very happy with the Vento.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Having said that ... (previous post) ... I probably would not have purchased the Vento if there were not a dealer in town that I could torment if the product were plainly inferior ... but that just wasn't the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts