Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another rider told me about a free ipod he had recieved from the site below, does anyone have any experience with this at all? Looking for input before I sign up.
It seems legitimate.

Here is the link:
http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=23932847

He said he had heard about it on CNN

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
806 Posts
I subscribe to the theory as nothing in this world is ever free. This is no exception, though it technically isn't a scam, more like a "pyramid promotion/advertising tool."

For more on this:

http://www.mikebernat.com/freestuff.html

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
I will pass also. They want too much information.

I'm trying to keep telemarketers and junk mail away. This looks like your asking for all kinds of unwanted crap.

·
Registered
806 Posts
True story...

I was attempting to keep my email from getting spammed. I only used my email address for "official" stuff. I was successful until I went to buy our car. I went through the web site "www.samsclub.com" which is the wholesale club arm of WalMart. They do member car buying so I figured I would get a quote.

I gave them AND ONLY THEM my email address. In less than 24 hours I was getting spam, and not just any spam. I got the "See what Jenna does on her web cam" and the "make a part of your body stronger, bigger, etc." I could not believe it. WalMart won't even sell explicit music and magazines in their stores but they have no issue with selling my email to folks who send me x rated spam.

So now that Yahoo! has a bulk mail box for spam, the bulk email box gets almost 100 emails a DAY, most of it X rated.

Gee, thanks Sam's Club.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The "offers" that they want you to complete are either impossible to qualify for (ie credit card offers) or they'll wind up costing you so much, it'd be cheaper to just pay retail for whatever it is that they're offering for "free".

And then they want you to refer friends or family so they can get ripped off, spam barraged, & love you so much for leading them into this wonderful trap.

TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) R. A. Heinlein

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you've ever ran a business. you would immediately think "what business model could allow giving away an item that costs $100"? Another way of saying that is "what do I need to get from you that would earn me back my $100, plus my overhead, plus my profit"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
addicted said:
If you've ever ran a business. you would immediately think "what business model could allow giving away an item that costs $100"? Another way of saying that is "what do I need to get from you that would earn me back my $100, plus my overhead, plus my profit"?
Apparently this offer is valid. I called MSNBC and the site is on the level.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
addicted said:
Indeed.

-Rusty J
AN650K5 - "Wild Blue"

·
Registered
619 Posts
This stuff is legitimate. My son and some friends did it and each got some $250 portable game/music device - I forget which brand. I'm not sure I condone how they did it but it was all legal and within the rules...

As he explained it, it mostly involves getting people, or yourself, to sign up for stuff like credit cards, online subscriptions, etc. He and some college friends studied it very carefully then signed up back and forth between them for things that had no-cost or low-cost trial offers, then they cancelled all the trial offers.

If I remember correctly, he said he spent no more than $30 and maybe three hours of his time to pull the whole thing off.

- Tom

·
Registered
286 Posts
It does work, but with several downfalls.

1- You have to give an email address that will be sold to other.
2- You need to uselly sign up for 3 offers they have to choose from.
3- The places you sign up with also give sell your email addresses
4- you need to get several friends who have not signed up before.
5- Your friends now have to get several of their friends to sign up for you to get your credits.
6- Now everyone you got to signed up get the same email mess you are and it starts over again.

They can do this kind of deal, cause the person signing up is agreeing to their terms and the deal people get the Ipods at factory cost. And they also recieve their money back from selling the email addresses they get and a finders fees for the places you have to sign up with that was part of your agreement for the free Ipods. So they make money in the long run.

But i would never do it.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
An ancient saying from our parent's days is, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Also, "There are no free lunches".
I vote that it is an advertising hoax or a scam aimed at simply gathering data from individuals for spamming or other illegal purposes (IMHO). Here's why:
First, the terms and conditions clearly state that "we may also add or remove any product listed as an incentive at any time. If we replace a product, the new product may not be of equal value." You have just agreed that they may do a "bait and switch" on you. They can offer you one thing (an Ipod) but give you something of substantially less value (e.g. a cheap transistor radio). :shock:

Second, "we reserve the right to change point values of products or offers at any time, for any reason. For referral-based sites we reserve the right to change the approval requirements necessary to receive a free item, including but not limited to increasing the number of friends required to get approved." You have just agreed to indentured servitude, they can keep asking you to supply them with more and more "friends" to get your transistor radio. :?

Third, "freeiPods.com may disclose your personal information to trusted business partners or sponsors with your consent. Some or all data collected on the Site may be shared with a business partner." You have just agreed to let them sell your email address to anyone who wishes to spam you. :cry:

Fourth, "Gratis Internet does not guarantee that a user will receive credit for an offer. We reserve the right to refuse crediting a user for offer completion for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to, lack of appropriate information, improper sign-up method, improper browser settings, and/or a history of manual credits." You have now agreed that they really don't have to give you anything at all. :x

Fifth, "The user is responsible for saving all of the confirmation emails they receive associated with offer completion. We will not manually credit a user for an offer without receiving a confirmation email from the user. A confirmation email is an email that a user receives from an offer provider after their offer requirements have been fully satiated. However, presenting a confirmation email does not guarantee that a user will receive credit." You have just agreed to save all the emails that they send you, which likely will include spyware, adware, and all other sorts of rubbish. :violent1:

Finally, "we are not responsible for any ensuing charges or contracts incurred between a user and an offer provider. Users should carefully read the requirements, terms and conditions, privacy policy and billing information for each offer." You have just agreed that they can CHARGE YOU for an Ipod but still send you the cheap transistor radio that they switched for the Ipod. :twisted:

Is it still worth it??
:angry4:

I say give them :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Free ipod

Here is the Scoop !

Before I signed up, I wanted to get to the bottom of the offer. I didn't want any sweaty, filth pushing webmonkeys to have all my info, so I did my research. Gratis Internet, the parent company of the FreeIpods, FreeFlatscreens, etc. sites, recently did an interview with Wired Magazine, CNN and MSNBC.
In this article Gratis states that they are acting as Head Hunters for companies (more on that later) and are paid between $50-$90 per referral. Although this seems like a lot of money, this is nothing compared to what these companies spend for print advertising which does not guarentee ANY customers. So now we know what the offer equals.
Offer=$50-$90 for Gratis per guranteed customer (referral sites).

How Does it Work?
You sign-up on one (or more) of their websites:

Ok, so here is the tricky part. Once you sign up with one of these websites you have to complete an "offer" from 1 of Gratis's advertisors. There are usually 5-10 different offers, some being better than others. Now, remember the Offer=$50-$90 equation? In order for you to receive your ipod/Flatscreen/Desktop PC/Handbag you have to refer 5, 8, or 10 of your friends, and they have to complete one of the offers as well. Then in order for them to receive theirs they need to refer others, and son on. So lets just look at why they are going to send an Ipod to you. (1(you) +5(your friends))x$90=$540-$250(ipod)=$290 profit for them just for you signing up. The advertisers are more than willing to pay, and FreeIpods is more than happy to send you your ipod. Works out for everyone.

Anyway, bottom line is, it is legitimate, and they do practice ANTI-SPAM rules. Your email addresses remain private and are not sold.

You can start by looking here:
http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=23932847

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Re: Free ipod

BMWGreenRT said:
The advertisers are more than willing to pay, and FreeIpods is more than happy to send you your ipod. Works out for everyone.
If you are willing to take the risk that you will not "ensue charges" while your Ipod "is replaced with a product that may not be of equal value" you obviously have substantially more money (and guts) than I have.
Remember, 1. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Unknown 2. "It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit." Noel Coward 3. "Men are able to trust one another, knowing the exact degree of dishonesty they are entitled to expect" Stephen Leacock And finally: 4. "Honesty is for the most part less profitable than dishonesty." Plato
:roll: Good luck!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Jim the Fire Man:

You sure went fast from asking a question about this program to providing a testimonial.

Fascinating. 8)

·
Registered
285 Posts
use ebay

I would just hang around eBay and buy one there. Doesn't take long to find a good deal on one. Of course I am eBay addicted. Just bought a brand new Corbin with backrest for my 650 and saved $200 over buying from Corbin. It is very nice so far and not even broken in.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would rather locate one and purchase it, Nothing wrong with knowing you paid for it and earned it on your own. Unlike opportunities where you have to subject friends and family to unnecessary exposure to possible webscams.

As noted in some of the post, kids and young adults are doing this and often times back & forth with one another.. So are we teaching our newest members of society that there is harmless cheating and it's okay by the end results?

I'd expect this discussion to be generated by my 18 yr old son..

I guess that comment confirms my Old Fart Status!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts