Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,072 Posts
The "Legal" requirements for road use of scooter/motorcycles vary from state to state in the US, the only similarity is that most states require a License plate/registration for road use and motorcycle license or endorsement, looking at both ends of the spectrum, you have Florida = no safety inspection, no insurance**, no driver's license required fuel scooters 50cc or less. California is completely different/opposite and way more BS.

** Even though there are no insurance requirements for motorcycles, owner/operator is still liable/responsible for resulting cost, all Florida motorcycle drivers are required to have personal protection insurance (PIP) or a regular medical insurance, proof of either is never requested during motorcycle registration or renewal :unsure:o_O

Reactions: Bigmc

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
In Texas you must show proof of Insurance before inspection and proof of inspection before receiving tags. Always remember to pay cash for tags or they ding you another couple dollars for the Credit Card Fees.

·
Registered
2012 Burgman 400
278 Posts
No inspections in Arizona, insurance and registration required. I did have to have my bike checked for correct VIN when I moved here from Colorado, that was in 2004. If your insurance lapses, they suspend your registration.

Colorado used to have car annual inspections, back in the 60's. It was just a safety check, lights, brakes, no windshield cracks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Thread successfully diverted :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, now that I’m keeping it I need to get insurance. It has 2015 or so tags on it, so yeah, also need to register it in my name and pay for registration. So far have been just taking it around very close to my house—but yeah if I got pulled over it would be an issue for sure.

So in other news I took it up to 60 last night and it was purring…let it idle in driveway for 15 or so later to warm final drive oil for another change, only to come back out and find the temp gauge at max! I immediately shut it off. No weird smells or anything so hoping I didn’t damage it. Coolant reservoir was empty which was surprising since I just did a coolant change and let it idle with cap off, rocked bike side to side, etc. so going to go add some coolant now and see if the machine is destroyed, wish me luck!:eek::eek:
If it’s ok then I’m ordering tires and calling my insurance :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Filled coolant to cold fill line and removed and cleaned the CVT filter, finally. Unfortunately the ring of the filter half detached when I pried it out, so I’ll need to get a new one before any serious riding as I really don’t want flecks of foam (or dust traveling around gaps) to enter the CVT. See pics.

Haven’t had a chance to take it through its paces again and see if overheats. I did run it in the driveway for 10 or so (plus some reviving) and it got to either the third or fourth mark on the engine temp gauge, which I didn’t love.

So how hot do y’all’s temp gauges get in a driveway at idle? How hot when driving? Thanks!
Audio equipment Road surface Circle Soil Macro photography

Train Automotive tire Rim Gas Circle

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
there are several alternatives to buying a new one and waiting for it ti arrive, I used a shop vac filter the foam part, glued it in and let it dry some other materials have been used, a search here will give yhou some ideas. I think someone used panty hose but that extra leg draggin the ground might be too much for the cat to resist

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,072 Posts
only to come back out and find the temp gauge at max! I immediately shut it off.
What does the radiator fluid/coolant looks like?, did you flush the system after sitting for this long, at least with water.
If the scooter overheats in traffic or stopped, is either the thermostat or the radiator cap, trying a radiator cap 1st is cheap and very easy to do, wish this guy would have taken my advice :whistle:, IAC this a good read for cooling system troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
What does the radiator fluid/coolant looks like?, did you flush the system after sitting for this long, at least with water.
If the scooter overheats in traffic or stopped, is either the thermostat or the radiator cap, trying a radiator cap 1st is cheap and very easy to do, wish this guy would have taken my advice :whistle:, IAC this a good read for cooling system troubleshooting.

but the fan is easier to check

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
The engine will get to three bars 95% of the time.

I was stuck in stop and go traffic once when all traffic stopped. We were down in an underpass and no breeze. The outside air temp was 101F and with all the engines running it started creeping up, At 110F my engine temp gauge went to 4 bars. At 115F outside it went to 5 bars then a RED light came on. At that time I hit the left shoulder and blasted past over 500 cars doing 25 MPH and the temp went down to 3 bars and the air temp went down to 102F.

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
On the CVT filter you want a free flowing media with little restriction. Do not use common air filter material. The 'Shop Vac' post filter foam is a good choice. USE NO OIL!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Thanks everybody.

coolant/overheat: I’m realizing that those lines are high/low, not hot/cold, so I’ll make sure to keep it filled at H. Also, when I emptied and refilled the coolant, I did rock left right but only while on center stand = not that much of an angle. And yeah I drained but didn’t flush, maybe I should have, but the old coolant looked pretty good (clear green), and my new coolant still looks good. But I’ll take another look at everything. Also that other thread was great reading as you said, Z! Dave great insight on temps. I’ll also see if the fan actually cuts on. Will also wash and blow out the radiator fins to eliminate that being an issue.

CVT filter: new one already ordered so no biggie. Might ride more on the current one in the meantime.

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
The filter is there to keep from sucking VW Bugs in as you blow by them. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
The filter is there to keep from sucking VW Bugs in as you blow by them. ;)
Lolz.

So I just changed the coolant again, this time a bit more by the book, eg removed the coolant hose to the engine as well as the drain bolt. Filled to top and bled for a while, or tried to, but honestly it never really went down from the top of the radiator. Got to 3 bars on the temp gauge but fan never kicked on. But it wouldn’t go past 3 bars this time, even after I ran it at 60 mph down the street for a short stint (allegedly).

OH and turns out I hadn’t put the cap on all the way during my last change :eek: I didn’t realize how easy it was to remove the shield blocking the cap so I was filing up without Removing it and apparently hadn’t closed the cap the whole way.

so maybe all good now on cooling but will do a couple more bleed sessions and also let y’all know if it acts up again.

Next I gotta get a stripped screw out of the brake master cylinder cap so I can replace the brake fluid :)

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
On the Brake cover screw, try turning as you tap the screw driver (between a tap and a BANG)

If that does not work get a 3/16" drill bit and drill the head off but do not go too deep, you will need the thickness of the cover of the shaft sticking up. Then grasp the stud with Vise-Grip type pliers and tap it a few times lightly while twisting.

If it does not come out..........

This is where a small hand Impact Driver may help (Before you drill it out) Use the small bit.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Camera lens Ruler

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
The engine will get to three bars 95% of the time.

I was stuck in stop and go traffic once when all traffic stopped. We were down in an underpass and no breeze. The outside air temp was 101F and with all the engines running it started creeping up, At 110F my engine temp gauge went to 4 bars. At 115F outside it went to 5 bars then a RED light came on. At that time I hit the left shoulder and blasted past over 500 cars doing 25 MPH and the temp went down to 3 bars and the air temp went down to 102F.

Where were you at ?

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
I-405 in Downtown Bellevue WA in the Summer time at 5 PM. It was over 95F from about 11 AM till 9 PM.

Washington state we can NOT lane split or pass traffic on the shoulder.

With no AC and overheating (bike and ME) I said "DOINK THIS" and hit the shoulder on the left of the HOV lane. All the Soccer Moms in the HOV lane were texting and did not know I was passing til I went past and then they HONKED.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Not much more to report yet—ordered tires on Nov 12/13 and now stuck in a bit of Amazon hell since they never shipped them but claim they did...hopefully they'll make it right and refund the order so I can re-order from another seller. Combined with the final drive plug issues, it's starting to feel like Someone doesn't want me to ever ride this thing :ROFLMAO:

161 - 178 of 178 Posts