1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Awesome! I'm glad you like them. I'm satisfied with the Icon shocks I am running, but I always wondered how the Fournales shocks would work out. Please give us another update after you've lived with them for a couple of thousand miles.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vfdcaptain said:
Wow, how much? 8)
I was originally quoted 474.00 eu for the shocks, 53.00 eu for the pump and 45.00 eu for shipping, but the bill that accompanied the shocks was 396.32, 44.31.00, and 37.63 respectively, so until I get my credit card statement, I don't really know. I also don't know what the rate of exchange is at the moment. They are obviously not cheap, but then no good quality shocks are. The workmanship on them is superb, they looked almost to good to install on my dirty bike! Plus, although I forgot to weigh them before installation, I know they are much lighter than the stockers. I cannot tell you how happy I am with the improved handling. I need to test it with my wife on board as soon as the weather improves.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Burger Bob said:
...the bill that accompanied the shocks was 396.32, 44.31.00, and 37.63 respectively...
$527.42, $58.98, and $50.08, respectively, for a total of US$636.48. (~CAN$768)

From the Yahoo finance site using today's exchange rate. The US dollar hasn't done well against the Euro lately...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I put a pair on my plane about 4 years ago to the tune of $400 or so and a year later the top part that was chromed started peeling like crazy. Looked ugly, but didn't affect the perfomance. They do the job.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Burgeyboy, here in the U.S. many of us fly ultralights, or kit built planes not certified by the FAA, and can use just about anything we like. My plane is a 2 seat Xair, used for ultralight training. I put a Jabiru 2200 engine on mine. Being the second one that I've built, I used the set of standard shocks that came with the kit and actually like them better than the Fournales because they are a bit softer sprung and suit the landings I do on grass fields..some of which are fairly rough. The softer spring takes the load, or stress, off the aluminum aircraft frame.

Unfortunately, the Govt being what it is, just couldn't stand so many of us having such a good time at so little expense that they have now instituted new rules requiring most of us flying ultralights to start following the rules governing certified planes, which of course creates a whole new beauracracy, certification of planes and pilots, and major expense.

Thats my rant for the day! :oops:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Ted,

Your answer explains alot to me.

I was asking because my dad has also an airplane (Piper Malibu) and, after it leaves the shop, the invoice shows some quite big figures. It's amazing that virtually every part (EVEN SCREWS) has to be FAA aproved. So I could not believe that a pair of shocks which can be installed on a plane would only cost a few hundred $'s. A few thousands is more realistic!

Flying is almost as fun as riding the scoot, aint' it? OR was it vice versa?

P.S sorry for drifting off-topic :oops:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Those are some really beautiful looking shocks!! I would love to put those on a Burgman, but that's a little out of my price range. Maybe further down the road. By the way Bob, how long did it take you to get them?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
BB....yeah, its been great flying the little critter; its somewhat akin to riding the scoot, being free and relying on your own maintance to keep you going. I have two more years before the FAA thing kicks in to decide whether to get with the program, or get out. Willl prob be the latter, because the amount of info one has to know is nearly the same as for a private pilot. To me, it sorta like learning to drive and maneuver an 18 wheeler in order to ride a scoot. At age 70+ I don't want to learn anything that I'm not going to use.....not enough brain cells left! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts