Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear end noise has been getting a little louder and with 22000 miles it was time to do the belt so I went in to take a look. The first thing I notice is the front pulley the belt gets engine power from is also shaped to act like a fan with small blades all around - on the 400 we clean the trans filter -well this is the fan/pulley ..
Back to what I noticed, 5 of the blades are broken . I decide to pull the rear section out and the bearing are shot, inside and out, and you can feel the grit on the rollers- well a few phone calls latter, and 141. dollars lighter and the parts are --drum roll please--- on back order..1 to 3 weeks.. "O" well it could have been a lot worse, I would love to know how the front piece broke to start with, it is all enclosed in that plastic housing.. On the bright side my P/U still runs fine.
I know this explanation is not very clear --but I am tired , problem found, on it's way to being fixed, end of story..... :(

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy said:
....and the parts are --drum roll please--- on back order..1 to 3 weeks.
Been there, done that, and burnt the T-shirt. Hope they get them to you on the short side of the estimate.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beelmeek wrote
Been there, done that, and burnt the T-shirt. Hope they get them to you on the short side of the estimate.
Burnt the T-shirt ? You sure you didn't send the dang thing to me :cry:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well "things" are looking a little brighter .
the new Givi windshield needs to be cut down and installed, the rear rack came in so I can put that on also.
And if the parts are not in by next week I will clean & grease the old bearings and ride local. :(

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, didn't someone else have bearing problems like yours awhile back? Thot I read something about it....maybe regarding aftermarket bearings?

Or maybe I'm having another of my Senior Moments!!! :?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul wrote
Most of the prior bearing issues have been with the 650 wheel bearings. I think Randy is breaking new ground here, but I could be wrong

It seems this is new ground, nothing to do with the wheel bearings, these are the CVT bearings, OK it's on the same shaft, but the wheel is on the other side of the frame. I have it out, it's not even as big as a football, needle bearings on both sides and maybe 15 lbs.
It's amazing that this "little thing" will drive the 400 like it does!
And like I said it was the solid pulley from the motor that has a "Fan" for cooling that caused the problem
There is no way I can see how some pieces broke off--after that the belt carries the pieces right to the CVT and good by bearings :cry:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Found the article but don't know how to "pick & put" it. It was under the 400 forum, on 15 Mar, by tclark.

Front driven unit...bearings and such.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mornin Bill, I see I'm not the only early bird.

Thanks for reference. Tom went into good detail regarding his bearing problems and I've printed it out and attached it to my manual "just in case"......

Randy, are these the same bearings you are referring to?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Me (being slightly paranoid where 400 failures are concerned) called Tim at Yamaha Suzuki of Cool Springs and asked if CVT bearings would be covered under warranty. After being told they would, I informed him about the 2 failures so far and suggested he pass the info on to his Suzuki USA service rep. If they find this isn't just an isolated problem, maybe they'll step up to the plate and cover it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bill,
A good thought, but in my case the bearings did not fail, if you look at # 1 on the finch (link in above post) the driving pulley has fan "blades" for cooling cast into it, about 3 pieces broke off and being enclosed just got ground up to a grit and made it to the bearings. no way I can call this bearing failure.
How did the pieces break off to start with , who knows ? could have happened at the factory. But every time you take the black plastic clutch housing off you are exposing this pulley and the belts rides in it, and you are suppose to check the belt--- And. And. And. You broke it, be more careful. BULLSH**
Don't get me started, I went around & around with them. Anyway + or -100 bucks and it's fixed.
I am happy to find the problem before it really did some big damage to the inside of the CVT..
And I am very pleased at how easy it is to work on the scoot .
It is a machine "things go wrong" To be honest I know I never broke that part,
but I can't blame Suzuki either---Like the man said "Shi* Happens" :(

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Tim suspected that the bearings failed first causing the fan to strike and crack the blades.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope don't think so, not in this case ,The bearings are full of grit but not broken.
In fact I was still doing 70+mph right up to the day I decided to check on the noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts