Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife found a box of photos from Stuttgart Germany. These are from 1981. The bike was a factory low level model 750. It had 1 disc front and 1 in the rear, spokes, NOTHING extra. I added Yoshi header, Yoshi Phase 2 cams, 4 larger "Smooth Bore" carbs from a KZ1000, Hella driving light on left side and Hella fog light on right side, geared it for the Autobahn. It had a full cafe faring but I had it Naked for 1 year. Top speed was about 145 MPH with faring, 135 MPH Naked, Stock was 118 MPH.

[attachment=2:hl9b2iwv]Gs750-2.jpg[/attachment:hl9b2iwv]

[attachment=1:hl9b2iwv]ScanImage04.jpg[/attachment:hl9b2iwv]

[attachment=0:hl9b2iwv]Top Floor Apt.jpg[/attachment:hl9b2iwv]

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
All the GS750's I've seen had dual front discs.
My brother had a GS850G shaft drive, one heavy beast, and it could have used a third disc up front to stop it from 100 mph.

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was a 1978 GS750N and it came as stripped as could be.

There were a few times I wished it had a parachute.

I did lay it down on the Autobahn at 70 MPH trying to stop when another American pulled out from an on ramp straight to the fast lane doing 50 MPH, I was doing 110 MPH with me flashing the highbeam and had the left turnsignal on. It ground the down the right hand grip, front engine crash bar, rear slider and bent the forks. I had my old racing leathers on and only got bruises on my butt and arms. I had a German shop true up the forks and ran them for a few months till the new one came from USA. The crash bar and slider were mild steel and just had new steel welded on. I was back riding it in 1 week, sore as heck but happy to be on two wheels again.

The funny thing about the front forks. The OEM had a caliper mount only on the left side, the new ones had both sides. So I ordered a set of brake hoses, calipers, rotors and all hardware from a used "Bent Bike" dealer in Seattle and changed it all over to dual disc on front.

All in all I low sided that bike about 5 times in the 8 years I had it. It crashed well. All the times except the one above were at 25 MPH or less. Once I was at a Gäste Hause ( http://www.lamm-hotel.com/ ) having some good food and a few too many GREAT biers. I went out, got on the bike, made it 20 feet and laid it over. Picked it up, got back on and made it another 25 feet or so and laid it over again. Pick it up the second time, rolled it into a parking stall, asked the bar keep if I could stay the night and that was that. It, the bike, did not want me riding DRUNK. :D

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sweet looking bike. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts