Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought bike at 6500 miles and 4 years old
now it's 10,000 miles

What viscosity of fork oil is recommended?
Or, what is best?

I assume you have to take the forks out?
Could I use my vacuum pump and a long tube to drain the old?
Haven't really looked at this yet, but 4 years is plenty of time for a change :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Use Suzuki recommended/ manual says G-10 which I assume is 10W or their part #99000-99044-10-G. Be interesting to see if Suzuki dealer actually has it.

Take fork leg out and dump----sucking out also ok in my book---but....level at 3.43 in needs to be checked / verified,too as all old might not have been sucked out when adding new-----301 ml or cc.

No wonderchange in fork oil is going to make much difference, bike remains scooter, so stick with what Suzuki says....easiest. Notice no drain plug provided---so changing fork oil not high on their list of things to do----sometimes if I keep bike/ scooter over 50,000 miles I do fork oil but my GS500E went 64,000 miles in 15 months......never bothered fork oil---I did change Concours fork oil @ 50,000 made big mess. I buy/ride only new bikes, so know maint. history....and my screwups.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mike1nw said:
bought bike at 6500 miles and 4 years old
now it's 10,000 miles

What viscosity of fork oil is recommended?
Or, what is best?

I assume you have to take the forks out?
Could I use my vacuum pump and a long tube to drain the old?
Haven't really looked at this yet, but 4 years is plenty of time for a change :)

Hey.....!!!!!!! Fork oil is NOT motor oil...! Why change it at all.?????? :?: :?: How often do you change the air in your tires..????

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
i like bacon grease, corn oil , peanut oil, or canola, sunflower will do if I don't have anything else , but bacon really makes my fork shine

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
i like bacon grease, corn oil , peanut oil, or canola, sunflower will do if I don't have anything else , but bacon really makes my fork shine
If that is "bacon on the hoof" - I prefer pig piss.........THAT STUFF REALLY SHINESand smells too......

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to change it (fork oil) because

it's 4 years old-
it's oil and wears out-
there are moving parts in there-
it was 4 years in the humid south before I got it-
Just because.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I can assure you that at least in my 650 I changed fork fluid at ~30k and it was downright nasty. If for anything, change it to get the moisture and fine bits of metal out of the tubes. Also makes a good time for blueprinting the forks or any suspension mods you may wish to do. see -> http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/fork_stiction_tuning.htm

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I changed mine at 35K miles but only because the seals were leaking. Oil looked brand new. I used what ever brand the motorcycle shop had that was rated as fork oil. Haven't had a problem sense. :wink:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Huh, brand new?! Maybe all that wet weather riding I do might have something to do with that given your location Desert Rat :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts