Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
Thanks Allwalk,

As I noted in the comment section of the photos, This does answer the question about progressive wound springs in the front forks.

· Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
About a week ago on this forum reading about Koni shocks, the question came up wondering if the front fork springs were progressively wound. I was just commenting on that. Sorry for any confusion.

· Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
Dodger said:
Did my forks a while ago. Measured what came out of each fork, right 392ml, left 415ml (supposed to have 489ml each). Poured the old oil into a jar and left it sit. About 1/8 inch of water in the bottom of the jar along with a lot of crud. Would recommend everyone get the fork oil changed.

Dodger

How many miles on the scooter ?

· Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
Re: Watch those spacers!

seeker said:
OK - a word of warning. The fork oil replacement job is fairly easy, except for one step. The tricky (and dangerous) part is getting the caps back on the forks. You really need 2 people for this step. I sliced my thumb wide and deep when the cap slipped and the super sharp metal of the spacer shot up and attacked me.

Here is what to do - Put the bottom of the fork in a vise. Have an assistant hold the slider tube up and also keep it from turning (preferably with a pair of gloves on). Somehow position your body atop the fork and tighten the cap with a straight down motion to prevent cross-threading. Once you tighten to the point where the slider spins despite your assistant trying to prevent that spinning, you are done.
I installed the fork tubes in the steering head (triple tree), and tightened it up before I installed the cap. That way you only have to push it down an inch or so, and you don't need the assistant.

· Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
Re: Fork oil change.

geoffrey said:
The drain plug on the bottom of the shock is then unscrewed and the top cap removed (with extreme prejudice). Drain. Replace the bottom plug and flush with mineral spirits.
:shock: Now I feel really dumb. I never looked for a drain plug at the very bottom of the fork tube. It makes a lot more sense using that, than removing the tubes.

· Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
humanitarian said:
i have a 2000 skywave.
can any one give me instructions on how to change oil in front forks and recommended wt.
thanks
humanitarian
This thread may help. Discussion for a 400.
Fork Oil Questions

I would think a "Service Manual" would have more answers than the Owner's Manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.