Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you may know the story behind why I am not riding and what my plans are, and the part that had included buying both a new 2013 650 and a new 2014 400 Well that got shot in the a,,, asrn ,,, arm. I am a bit conservative and will not spend what I do not have or cannot afford to lose for basically something that is not a necessity. I had the cash in the bank for both bikes and was waiting for the circumstances necessary before purchasing. Now my savings have been halved and I've acquired another household to support meaning I am not going to be able to rebuild the loss in savings at a reasonable rate. So it's only going to be one bike , 650 or 400. A difficult choice.
You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, you can even pick your friends nose, but you can't pick your family.
I'm leaning toward the 650 simply for the added off the line or down the road oomph which I know I shouldn't get. but in my present mood I would shred the tires on a cat tractor if it would do any good.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
some of you may know the story behind why I am not riding and what my plans are, and the part that had included buying both a new 2013 650 and a new 2014 400 Well that got shot in the a,,, asrn ,,, arm. I am a bit conservative and will not spend what I do not have or cannot afford to lose for basically something that is not a necessity. I had the cash in the bank for both bikes and was waiting for the circumstances necessary before purchasing. Now my savings have been halved and I've acquired another household to support meaning I am not going to be able to rebuild the loss in savings at a reasonable rate. So it's only going to be one bike , 650 or 400. A difficult choice.
You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, you can even pick your friends nose, but you can't pick your family.
I'm leaning toward the 650 simply for the added off the line or down the road oomph which I know I shouldn't get. but in my present mood I would shred the tires on a cat tractor if it would do any good.
Mikey...........When the h e l l are you ever gonna learn.????

"LIF SUCKS AND THEN - WE DIE!"

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a 08 400 and have a 09 650. The only thing they have in common is the nameplate and a similar appearance. I bought the 650 because a nice old gentleman hit my 400 in the rear and totaled it. The 650 was bought because it was the best bike and buy available at the time. I don't know which one I like better. They both have good and not so good points. If I had the money to buy a new one, I would take the money and buy both of them used. Mechanically, the 400 has remained pretty much the same since 08 other than ABS. The 650 has changed some for 2013 but the important stuff has remained intact. There are some good buys if you will go a distance to get them and the buying time if year is approaching.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I was looking for a maxi scoot I was amazed to find that the only difference measurement wise between the two bikes was the 650 is 100 lbs heavier. The only reason I bought a 400 is that my insurance would be 1/2 the cost of the 650, would that be a factor for you? If not, I would definitely buy the 650...it would certainly allow you to burn off household tensions faster and it MIGHT be more fun than trying to shred tractor tires!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
As $$ seems to be a concern used 650 or 400 to me would be a good choice. Set a $$ figure & then look for rides that fall in that price range. Many of us have bought used and we still have a big :D on our face. Both of mine have been used and I don't regret buying either of them. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think your best bet is to wait until it starts cooling off because more used scooters go up for sale then. I would SERIOUSLY consider a used scooter. Most Burgman owners seem to be very avid about their bikes, so you would have a good chance of getting a good used one. I would have bought a used 650 except that after I really thought about it I realized that most of my riding would be local. The 400 is easier to maneuver in local traffic because of its weight and bulk. However, if I were going to be traveling outside of my local area most of the time, I would definitely get a 650. When I bought my 400, the owner had never ridden it. Really. It had 2 miles on it. There are some good deals out there on used scooters. Just know what you are looking at and know what the average resale price is so that you won't overpay. I bought mine off of Craig's list, but it was also advertised in several other places. I paid $3700 but could have bought others for less than that. I have seen 2 good 650's already that are selling for $4500 each, and I have seen them for less than that. Take your time and I think you can get what you want on the cheap. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you only die once (i believe in eternal life after) it's gonna be the 650

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Good choice - and if you decide to get lost for oh say 3 weeks cross country the 650 will get your there and back in style. :D

( I also would buy used but then I never buy new if I can avoid it )

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Mikey - I have owned both and I would (for similar dollars if dollars are of concern) go for the 650 - they are in my mind from a ride perspective not even vaguely similar - the 650 is heavy and higher and has a smooth twin engine - the 400 is a single thumper
I bought the 400 because my wife didn't like the size/weight of the 650 - and the 400 is a great ride , I ride at least once per week cos its fun - but in no way the same ride as a 650 imho

Also as you are not living in California (stupid emissions rules eliminates most of the great deals on the web) there are many deals on ebay etc are at your mercy for low mileage examples - new or used

Good luck with the family !

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have never ridden a Burgman 400. Now with that out of the way, we have many satisfied Burgman 400 riders here on Burgman USA. My Burgman 650 is a little heavy to move around the shop (for a 62 year old man in poor health). I decided on the 650 because my wife likes to ride with me and the 650's rear seat fit her like a glove. It pulls both of us anywhere we choose to ride with no problem. It is the perfect replacement for the Goldwing we briefly owned for us. Granted, it was a Goldwing 1200, but that thing was buttery smooth, as is our Burgman 650. I just can't climb on and off a standard motorcycle anymore. Compounded into the problem is my hands, just can't pull a clutch anymore without a great deal of pain. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a bitch.

Mikey, choose whichever Burgman rings your bell. You have proved what ever needed proving in life while you were in the Corps. Now is your time to enjoy. I honestly feel that either bike will be good for you to go.

Doug in Kentucky
(get a 650, hint hint)

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Mikey,
I do own both.......and when it came to getting another for the wife, I'm going for a second 650.
With a bit of luck, I'll have it sometime this week.
You made a good choice, enjoy it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mikey. I we are so new to this thing I can't give you any tech knowledge but I can share are happines. I've been riding a chinese 150 for about 5 years and for the most part extremly unhappy (always some problem and I'm not mechanical). The last time the system shorted out and I said that's it. As I was looking for a used scooter (non chinese) my wife saw a Burgman Trike. She said I'd ride if you had one of those. Well the search was on. The Dealer had a brand new one $19,000.00 way out of our price line. Came upon an 04 with 11,000 mi and a trike conversion. Well we had to drive 21/2 hrs just to see it. It's not new but in descent shape. We bought it now when ever I fire it up there's two questions. 1. can I go with? (except to work) and 2. Are we stopping for ice cream? This is the first time she ever wanted to ride with me and it's good I bought at a good price cause so far in addition to the ice cream bill going up there was a new helmet for her, oh yea a matching jacket, and you can't been seen without gloves. I got a ride and a happy passenger so at 66 & 67 we'll enjoy it. So get what makes you happy. By the way I recommend the 650 especially if there's a lot of ice cream stops you'll need it.:D:D

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Mikey you can still get them both!
Just buy used ones instead of new.
Being "conservative" as you say, you should always let someone else pay for the depreciation....or else your not being conservative enough. ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you can swing it, get a used 400 & a used 650; they are both incredible bikes. But if you have to choose just one... Base it on the type of riding you're mostly going to do.

The 400 is an excellent around-town, commuting, errand-running bike with great freeway manners. It can carve up twisties too boot (I've got the scrapped up side stand to prove it). It can tour, but the engine RPMs get a little high (7-8k) on the highway (not that you notice it, the engine is so smooth). Better gas mileage also, but I think that gets offset by higher transmission maintenance costs as the belt and rollers have to be replaced every 18k.

The 650, though, just eats up freeway miles. Spinning at 4,500 RPM, you can cruise all day at 75 mph. It's a little heavy in the twisties, but makes up for it with the transmission's "Power" mode and throttle response. It's a little unwieldy cutting through traffic due to the size, weight and transmission. It's unforgiving at slower speeds and requires a gentle touch lest ye be thrown back with the power or forward with the engine braking. Lastly, if you're going to do any serious amount of two-riding, the 650 is the way to go. You can barely feel a passenger on the 650, whereas a pillion on the 400 is a burden for anything more than short distances,

So, a 1-up commuter with lightness, quickness and some decent freeway capabilities, 400. Smooth-as-Silk touring bike for riding with a friend and still be able to have a little fun around town, 650.

Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts