9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
yup an we still got standing water an falling trees from round one

• Sad
Reactions: BurgDanno

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,202 Posts
All good here, for now, had winds and rain similar to last one already, is tracking kinda towards Tampa and below Ocala, etc. IAC is a very wide swath, supposed to pass thru between 11am-1pm, stay safe 🙏

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
8 am bartow just enough rain to make everything damp, just enough wind to make EVERYTHING damp miserable cussin weather , too cool to need a refreshin beverage , too wet to ride , stuck inside with the cat :(

• Helpful
Reactions: DarisPakar

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,202 Posts
November hurricanes...sheesh. Glad it slowed pretty soon
Yes, Hurricane/Storm "Nicole" Cat 1 is one of three significant "Hurricane Rated" storms to enter Florida in November in 87 years or recorded history, the "Yankee Hurricane" Cat 2 in Nov 4, 1935 (so called because it formed in the northeast, of the coast of North Carolina, etc., and came down to Miami and across Florida :confused:), and "Kate" Cat 2 in 1985 across the panhandle. It's been raining in sheets here for hours, no end in sight, with wind gust to 40-50 mph, perfect conditions for flooding and knocking down trees, power lines, etc. :(🙏

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Hope to never shovel snow again! It's too much exercise...I grew up in Colorado and shoveled snow for 54+ years! 🙁
Yeah what was I thinking? We had snow blowers and plows and it still wasn't fun, winter boots, wool underwear, winter clothing, engine block heaters plugging in your engine at night, letting the car warm up for a half hour so you can see through the windshield, kicking the ice stalactites off of the quarter panels, and if you live where they salt your new vehicle will have cancer in 2 years. I will keep dodging hurricanes.

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,925 Posts
When I finished technical school for the Navy I had the choice between Brunswick, ME or Brownsville, TX for my next duty station.
I had only been away from a true 4 seasons for 20 months and for some delusional reasons I felt the need to experience that again.
I chose Brunswick. I should have known. On the way there we had to drive through a Thanksgiving blizzard from Baltimore all the way up to Brunswick. Looked real pretty. A true Winter wonderland. But then I had to get out of the rented moving truck. It was like all those years living in eastern Iowa didn't teach me anything.

I would prefer to be somewhere in between Iowa and the Gulf coast. A location where when it did snow, the few times a year that it did, it would melt before the next morning guaranteed. I don't mind heat. I don't mind the humidity as long as it doesn't last ALL year. I also don't want to be so close to hurricane prone areas.

Can't move now. Too many grand kids located here to leave behind. Maybe global warming will change the weather to a little warmer up here in Iowa instead of us being just inside that bulge of arctic air that blows down from central Canada making our temps drop below most of upper tier of states across the USA.

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
Funny how that chain link fence, if there is a fence, will not stop that Canadian Artic blast at the border.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Watched the news this morning and it appears Florida has lost a bit of real estate. We are narrower after this storm. Honestly, I'm shocked at the destruction on parts of Florida's east coast. We (I) have been through much worse in this state. Living and building on the sand has its price. Build high and dry on solid ground.

It's a beautiful morning with a stunning sunrise, going for a Veteran's Day ride. Stay Tuned....

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
consider that from the after the fact interview, the man had no use of rudder pedals and was standing behind the pilot seat making reaching everything difficult, plus unfamiliar with electronics , their location, names and how to use them , this really is spectacular, the atc he first contacted made several mistakes and seems to be in a hurry to have this guy off his hands aviate, navigate communicate, talk about how many passengers you got aboard, what they had for lunch etc later for example. I dunno anymore since I've been out for so long, but do all planes now have transponders mandatory? some around here are so basic in electronics all the gages wind up with a key Identifying a plane does not always rely on transponders, flying a pattern is also used, never once was fuel quantity mentioned, so many things ,,,,,

· Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Ever since the Commercial Pilot Union Magazine published an article about recent mandatory medical procedures… I’ve been using a free app called Flightradar24 and one of the features is to alert me to “Squawk 7700”

They say there used to be about three Squawks a month now it has grown to over three or more per day. I have mine set up to alert me with a Sexy Female Flight Attendant voice and when it goes off while I’m on the phone the other person thinks I’m calling from a plane….

I think once you designate a plane for hire or commercial a transponder is part of the required gear?

The guy in the interview sure didn’t look or sound like a flooring salesman

Attachments

101 - 120 of 129 Posts