Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno about your areas in particular, cause Florida is big and wierd shaped but flat mostly except the panhandle.
Polk county has already had more rain this year than it is supposed to recieve ALL year, and we still got a month and a half of hurricane/ tropical storms to go before the dry season gets here,
Flood warnings are in effect for " rivers" in Polk that have not been this high since 1948 and many areas that used to be cow pastures are now mosquito breeding ponds or shallow lakes,
The ground is saturated so, weak. drainage to subsurface is not good, I am surprised we have not had lots more sink holes, can only guess the underground reservoirs are full so the overlay is not caving in, or maybe this storm will do the deed.
Anyway, with the ground saturated and a big wet storm coming, forecast to drop 4 inches a day, we probably will see more trees fall than is expected , and flooding in areas lasting longer than expected,
Gas stations use electricity to pump gas, stop lights use electricity, and trees tear down electricity, if you don't have a generator, you should, and if you don't have stored gas to last about a week you should, or if you are smart and have it available propane or lp or whatever gas is piped to houses here .

What I'm tryin to day is this storm could be a lot worse than predicted. The economy has provided lots of crackheads to clear downed trees etc, pay no one a cent until the Job is DONE and make sure your insurance covers stupidity committed on your residence causing injury and emergency room care (for pain meds).
If this is your first hurricane, I can give you some tips concerning generator usage and stuff you might otherwise learn the hard way . I've had 2 eye walls pass over this house, been in a cat 5, and done 4 in 1 year.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,085 Posts
I'm ready, got milk, bread, water, can goods and TP. Generator has been tested, all vehicles full of gas, extra gas, etc. etc. Not covering my old windows, could really use new ones in the back of house :whistle:. Not so overly concerned about flooding as we are kinda in the Florida hills, more concerned about the 150yr + old oak trees, one 40ft. tall at 15 feet from house and neighbors 60ft tall about 40ft away :oops:, more rain and wind on soft ground "no bueno" (n)🤞

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,164 Posts
I've been through 4 typhoons/hurricanes and unless it's a cat 3 or bigger I'm not concerned. I'm close to the GA/FL border so I'll get a bunch of wind and rain but not worried.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I feel for y'all.
Sally came through Fairhope 2 yrs ago. Wife and I fled to the NW.
Came back to trees 12 in. and up broken off 20 ft. above the ground, trees all over the place.
My first hurricane experience. I'll never stay for one. A tank of gas in the Forte will take us over 300 miles away.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,085 Posts
Can't ever take a Hurricane lightly, there's no exact science behind the predictions, storm surge is very dangerous, the safest thing to do is go to high ground, none really in Florida or the coastal states on the Gulf Coast, we did not have a choice when we lived in eastern Orange County (Orlando, FL), mandatory evacuations, at approx. 2 miles from St. Johns River and approx. 30 ft. above sea level, water level rose to 3 feet around the house for 2 days, fortunately the house was 4 ft of the ground, stuff not in house got :censored:

Average elevation in my area is about 75ft, fairly safe from flooding, but not from falling trees as soil is mostly sand :(, the latest track is not good for us or central/north Florida, panic is kinda setting in, gas station lines and some out of gas, etc., etc. :( Hope our members in the Tampa area are prepping, etc. 🙏

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Looks like Tampa Bay could be in for a rough time. Been a long time since they had a bad one so I don't think anyone knows what to expect. Y'all don't take any chances down there.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,085 Posts
Looks like Tampa Bay could be in for a rough time
Saw a definite increase of traffic in our area today, Hotels parking lots were busy, possibly some migration from the west coast (Tampa area) :unsure:, not really the right direction, as it's very likely coming our way :eek:, Tampa is basically a sea level town, any storm is not good, plus we had a lot of rain lately in Florida, most water management lakes/ponds are very full, secured some stuff in backyard today, closing announcements started for Wednesday/Thursday:(

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
yep, retention ponds down here are made of sand and hope, some are full above street level now. best guess and hopeful is 4 inches of rain and 2 days to pass, a cat 3 so water is a bigger concern than wind except for the fallen tree no electricity thing, I think there has been recent work on the phosphate settling ponds to reinforce them from spills and a couple years ago we had some bad weather right down beside them and they held, but if one oof them suckers bust, yhou can sell central florida for the cost of a pack of gum, (generic gum) and everything south of us is gonna get poisoned too,
I still remember my first cat 5 WHOOOOO that was windy, yep trees broke off 20/ 30 ft above ground and blown away. way off topic but this reminded me of it.

Edited by moderator: some content removed

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm all hunkered down.
Prior Boy Scout... Siempre Listo "be prepared" and prior US Coast Guard... Semper Paratus "always ready" I may be uncomfortable for a spell, but I'll survive. Looking forward to helping others in my neighborhood that may be in need.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Content was removed by Moderator.
Thanks guys, I'm all hunkered down.
Prior Boy Scout... Siempre Listo "be prepared" and prior US Coast Guard... Semper Paratus "always ready" I may be uncomfortable for a spell, but I'll survive. Looking forward to helping others in my neighborhood that may be in need.
Did you ever visit the Coast Guard Station in Yankeetown, Fl ?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
It was a live-aboard barge …. nice bunch of guys but they reminded me of McHale’s Navy back in the late 70’s early 80’s.
I don't know anything about barges, assume they are stable and safe sailing. I lived on a ship while stationed in Seattle Washington, waiting for flight school. Patrolled international waters in Alaska, Bearing Sea. I was a fish cop if you will boarding Japanese long liners, Russian stern trollers etc... I have not stepped foot back on a ship or boat since. I had my fill of that life. Seen many types of at sea emergencies and was stranded in the Bearing Straights on a Russian fishing boat in 40-foot seas. It was too dangerous for the motor lifeboat to pick us up.
I will take a ferry to pretty places with flowers and rainbows and unicorns if the weather is perfect. My sea legs are gone for good. I'm a landlubber now.

Dagnabit, I drifted again from the original post, sorry. Gotta run guys, some final storm preps and pick up MIL...see you all on the other side, I hope.

·
Administrator
18,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looks like either semburg or I will see the eye of a cat 1 storm, lotsa rain, the worst tree near me is to the west. so. i think i'm good

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave_J
1 - 20 of 129 Posts