Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Bill
This question is for you. I remember before your engine failure you had talked about not getting very good gas mileage after they had done service on it and I was wondering if you were using regular motorcycle oil or synthetic. I have done the 4000 mile service myself and everything was done except the cooling fan filter which will be done in the near furture. The only adjustment made was one exaust valve. The .009 feeler gauge was tight but would pass though so I adjusted it where the .009 would not go and .007 would. I had been averaging 58 mpg but the last three tankfulls since have been 56.4, 54.4 and 52 mpg respectivly.
I read a very fine article someone on the forum had a link to about the differance on motorcycle oil and auto oil. A very fine read indeed. After reading that (thanks to whoever it was that put it on here) I am thinking about changing to mobil one synthetic.
Now the questions for everyone, how many of you are using synthetic and how long or how many miles since changing? Do you think that synthetic oil could help insure againest engine failure? Has it helped your gas mileage? Do you think that cleaning the fan filter could make a big differance in gas mileage?

Thanks for any help
Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
swstiles wrote
Now the questions for everyone, how many of you are using synthetic and how long or how many miles since changing? Do you think that synthetic oil could help insure againest engine failure? Has it helped your gas mileage? Do you think that cleaning the fan filter could make a big differance in gas mileage?
Been using synthetic oil for 12,000 miles, change oil every 5,000 miles
Gas mileage ? would like to say yes, but I am not sure.
engine failure? I believe if an engine is going to fail it will ! We use oil to lubricate engine parts and cooling,
but thats just two of the many things that can cause engine failure
cleaning the fan?If your talking about the trans filter, Maybe, but I doubt you would see it. But it sure helps the trans stay cooler if it's clean-
If your talking about the Air filter, maybe not big a differance but yes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey good question...synthetic or dinosar oil. Suzuki recommends any SG rated 10W-40 oil but there are so many variations of viscosity and types. I have the same dilema because I want to put the best in the engine and I would hate for it to have an engine related failure because of cheap oil. But the engine that failed did because of the lack of oil not because it was synthetic or dinosar type. Just use whatever gives you comfort. Change it often so it is clean and check its level on a regular bases. The filter doesn't need to be changed every time. Finally keep good records. I use Microsoft Excel to document it. An oil discussions can go on for days and days and days and nothing will ever get resolved.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm using regular motorcycle oil. I've not had the miles on the origional nor the rebuilt engine to switch over to synthetic yet. I spoke with the dealer about it the other day and Tim said if I plan on changing the oil via the manufacturers guidelines, he didn't think the additional cost was worth it. He always runs regular motorcycle oil in his own machines. If it's good enough for him, I'll stick with it too.

Even using the new Givi screen, I'm getting about the same MPG average. One of the things they did (because of my MPG comments) was installed a slightly cooler plug. I believe it did help but was offset by the extra wind resistance of the new shield.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks another Q

swstiles said:
I also have been meaning to ask another question. Has anyone else with a 400 noticed the front brakes making a noise that is not there when using the left brake lever?

Thanks again

Has noone else experienced this? :?:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
By guidelines I was referring to the 600 mile first service and 3600 miles thereafter. Some of the synthetic oils claim that you can go more miles between changes than the manufacturer lists. I for one will stick to changing oil 'by the book'.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you bet

billmeek said:
By guidelines I was referring to the 600 mile first service and 3600 miles thereafter. Some of the synthetic oils claim that you can go more miles between changes than the manufacturer lists. I for one will stick to changing oil 'by the book'.
Oh I see what you meant and I agree. By the book or sooner. Thanks Bill

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts