Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 has been thoroughly tested by many members here to be quite appropriate and adequate for the Burg 650. I, personally, have no experience evaluating the tire firsthand, but many will chime in, including Dave, you do. I will probably never try the tire for only a single (and particularly significant; perhaps even just paranoid) reason... It's an "S" speed rated tire instead of an "H" tire (112mph vs 130mph). Unless you're an overly aggressive "Speed Demon" who thinks the Burg is more Hybrid Sport Bike (albeit entry-level) than Hybrid Scooter, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm one of those who is an overly aggressive "Speed Demon" who thinks the Burg is more Hybrid Sport Bike (albeit entry-level) than Hybrid Scooter! :lol: I, regularly, may exceed the "cent mark", loaded, and with a passenger, and I have max'd out my bike (sans windscreen, of course). I prefer the buffer... small as it may be.

That said... my issue is, MY issue only, and it has NO bearing on the quality, performance, or investment value of the tire.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Thanks Blackmoon. I ride mine like a scooter so the Bridgestone would work for me. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
23,202 Posts
Mike the Desert Rat, The Potenza is a fine tire. It has proven time and again to work well, even though the ratings on the tire sites bash it as trash. It has better grip wet than a OEM BattleAx. When that was about the only tire available, some of us had wobble issues. I am on a Federal Formosa FD2 155/65 HR 14 and have not experienced any wobble even at 110 MPH.

I went with the FD2 over the FD1 just for the 155 size. I would go with the FD1 if I needed a new tire now, in the 165/65 HR 14 size.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I'm on a Potenza for about 2k now. Love it. Handles well (and I think I'm reasonably agressive) with both single and two up. Perfoms well in the rain. As for the speed rating I really don't find many opportuties to exceed 113mph which is close to top speed for the Burgie anyway. Wife commented that it's quieter and better riding then the POS I had on before (Diablo). Picture shows side by side. 4.5k on the Diablo (left) sbout 2.5k on Potenza (right)

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,202 Posts
Brian650 said:
I'm on a Potenza for about 2k now. Love it. Handles well (and I think I'm reasonably agressive) with both single and two up. Perfoms well in the rain. As for the speed rating I really don't find many opportuties to exceed 113mph which is close to top speed for the Burgie anyway. Wife commented that it's quieter and better riding then the POS I had on before (Diablo). Picture shows side by side. 4.5k on the Diablo (left) sbout 2.5k on Potenza (right)
When Brian says rain, it should b in CAP's, RAIN. If you ride in the northWet, you ride in RAIN and lots of it.

Hey Chief W/O, US Army retired, Hit me up for a day ride anytime. I am back on 4-10's Tuesday - Friday. Daboo is always wanting to ride too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You know guys, one of these days, we're going to have to set up something in the central mid-west (Ohio, Missouri, Mississippi River area) so that we can meet up and ride together. We need a DarkSider's Meet and Greet... LOL!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are 5 darksided Burgman 650's within 15 miles of my house that I am aware of. The Darksided Capital of the World?? :thumbup:

·
Administrator
23,202 Posts
As far as Darkside Burgman riders, we are such a small group compared to non darkside Burgman riders. But go to some other forums, like the FJR or some of the newer GoldWing and there are a lot more darksiders. If it could be organized, a Darkside convention would have 1000's of riders show up with so many different makes and riders. I ride a Burgman 650 but class my self as a sport bike rider, not a true squid but on the lower side of sport.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
On the gl1800riders.com forum I follow, the darksiders have their own sub-forum and member numbers. They also have two ride-ins one in the spring and one in the fall. I ate lunch with them at the spring ride-in northern GA. They were staying in Franklin, NC for the 3-4 days of the ride in. I think they had 40-50 riders show up. The fall ride-in is in WV-VA in September. They are a nice group and friendly. Just today someone posted and asked if non-darksiders could attend and the answer was "yes". I would be surprised if they would object to other bikes showing up.

Of course, there car tire selection is larger than the Burgman's. The majority of owners use run-flat tires. I choose to use a non- run flat tire. I do not care for the run-flat CT idea.

You might find their sub-forum interesting to read. They are into the details of CTs on GW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings one and all... I'm new to this site and am planning on switching to the 'darkside'. My 07 Burg 650 is over 13000 on original tires (previous 03 went thru recommended tires {sold it w over 50000 on it}). I'm ready for both tires with a longer life span. I'm wondering what is the most common CT being used? (BlackMoon comes across with insightful observations, yet I've not been able to pinpoint what he is using on his commuter ride).

I recall reading some time back (not sure where) that there was a front tire being made with a harder center, softer near sidewalls with the intent of longer life span. Have any of you used or heard of this tire?

I would sincerly appriciate feed back as I'm using this scooter as my daily driver. Once I know which tires to use, I'm hopeful to have "iron pony" in northern Columbus Oh to install them. If they're not able, I'm pretty sure Chris @ Captial ity Scoter would do it. I'm hoping to find out tire brands / size / best balance technique {beads sound great - but how much weight?).

I do like to run on the fast side and have really enjoyed the 'triple nickel - rr555 western Ohio, blue ridge parkway, dragons tail, etc ~ ~ ~ I also ride year round if the pavement is dry in the winter months... rain does not bother me...

I'm sure how to update my profile 'yet'. A little more about my rides: current - 07 Burg, 08 stella, 77 Vespa P200, 65 Vespa VBB 150 ~ ~ ~ past - Honda shadow 750 & 1100 ace tour & 50 elite, Vespa Grande ~ ~ ~ I live on the West side of Columbus OH and currently commute 30 miles round trip and this may change to 50 miles round trip (hence my desire to join the 'dark side').

Look forward to hearing back from the 'empire collective'... have a wonderful riding season... Michael

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've PM'd Michael, but allow me to re-iterate some of the finer points, and elaborate on some points made elsewhere that I feel need revisiting, in accordance with my observations regarding Darksiding.

First, for those others who are wondering, I'm running the Federal Formoza FD1 on my rear, and the (currently) OEM Bridgestone Battleax THo1M F on my front (this is the tire, I believe is being referenced above by Michael, that had it's center rib area reinforced to increase mileage). Honestly, having now reached the time to replace it (I have a new one on now, btw), I have NOT seen any significant mileage increase in the tire, per se. Now, what I mean by per se is this...

The revisioned M series tires do seem to be thicker in the middle, but, having had the front and the rear versions, neither tire's improvements indicate the wear level was increased. I typically got ~13K miles with the rear and 23K Miles on the front Bridgestones, before the revision. I got about the same mileage (maybe +1K) with the M series. What I did notice, however, is what may have been an improvement on HOW they wear. The rear and front tires started to bulge (knot up) in spots at about the same mileage points, prompting replacement, and long before the wear marks on the tires (the original ones got really thin before needing replacement). When I called Bridgestone and asked about it (after it happened to the front... I check air pressure almost every other day, and twice weekly at the least), I was told that the tire was "at the end of it's life when it does that, regardless of the wear mark". When I pressed and asked if that was built into the design, I couldn't get a straight answer, and suddenly he had to go. I don't know about Bridgestone, but Apple and HP use this tactic when you "ask too many questions" about what's "coming out" or "possible" with their hardware. Hint, Hint!

Something Michael eludes to, and some others have mentioned in PMs and on the forum... so I'll say this again...

Aggressive riding can be fun, but it's also VERY DANGEROUS!!! And yet, some of us STILL do it... Myself included! That's all fine and dandy. I'm not judging. HOWEVER... if you are still in that "need to increase my chicken-strips" mode of sport-bike thinking, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE WAIT until you have SATISFIED that need BEFORE DARKSIDING!!!

This choice is also a compromise. When you put a CT on a bike, you do it for the straightline improvements, the longevity, and maybe even the cost, but, what you give up in the bargain is the ability to cut your bike at 45+ degree turns and angles at high speeds like a sport-bike. This doesn't mean you can't lean your bike, or that it's a dangerous thing to ride at high-speed into turns. This is one of the reasons not every CT is appropriate for Darksiding. What it does mean is you have to be significantly more aware of the LIMITS of your CT, where the TREAD ENDS AND THE SIDEWALL BEGINS, of the LATERAL STRESSES your CT can take, and of your SPEED AND ANGLE in a turn. You increase your road footprint in a straight line, but in a turn or lean, you actually may decrease your footprint if you are not careful and responsible. Going too far and testing those limits can leave you with a 600+lb bike on top of your broken and splattered body! I don't mean to be a drag, but it's the reality of what we're doing, and I don't want any of us ending up another statistic.

This is why I am adamant about using only "H" or better speed rated tires, and why the load rating on the Can-Am's Kenda RT tire disqualified it, in my opinion, as a candidate for our bikes.

A final point, a bunch of us guys were down at Friday's in Greenbelt, Md. Wed. Night for Bike Night (weekly event, so come on down anytime), and some of the guys were showing off how easily they can turn their bikes (mostly sport-bikes) around by leaning them on their kickstands. So one of them decided he wanted to try doing it with my "Scooter". I told him it couldn't me done, so he decided he would prove to me it can be done with ANY bike...

4 guys later... it was done... oh, and I mean 4 GUYS AT THE SAME TIME helping each other after the first guy almost dropped the bike!!! The 650 is a motorcycle designed to resemble a scooter. Remember that; RESPECT that, and it may save your life!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
TheBlackMoon said:
A final point, a bunch of us guys were down at Friday's in Greenbelt, Md. Wed. Night for Bike Night (weekly event, so come on down anytime), and some of the guys were showing off how easily they can turn their bikes (mostly sport-bikes) around by leaning them on their kickstands. So one of them decided he wanted to try doing it with my "Scooter". I told him it couldn't me done, so he decided he would prove to me it can be done with ANY bike...

4 guys later... it was done... oh, and I mean 4 GUYS AT THE SAME TIME helping each other after the first guy almost dropped the bike!!! The 650 is a motorcycle designed to resemble a scooter. Remember that; RESPECT that, and it may save your life!
:roll: :lol: Guess they didn't realize the difference in the center of gravity. Personally I'd be worried about that one piece of single wall tubing giving out at some point doing that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oh, almost forgot... they put 1oz of balance bead in each of my tires due to the smaller size. Worked pretty well for me, and from a 2-wheel motorcycle kit, I still have enough for another set of tires.

MJR, they didn't realize the low center of gravity, or the just under 700+lb loaded down bike weight! :roll: I still had my full trunk and top case from work on the bike... with about 70lbs of gear, as well as a full tank of gas!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
TheBlackMoon said:
MJR, they didn't realize the low center of gravity, or the just under 700+lb loaded down bike weight! :roll: I still had my full trunk and top case from work on the bike... with about 70lbs of gear, as well as a full tank of gas!!! :lol: :lol:
Sounds like it could be a fun regular Friday night challenge, but its only a scooter. :lol:

·
Administrator
23,202 Posts
Where I have the most fun is with a sport bike or a Cruser behind me in stop and go traffic, is trailing the rear brake and giving just enough throttle, I can do a brake stand or creep at 1 MPH with my feet up on the boards. Watching them trying to copy me is so funny.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.