Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it neccessary to wear motorcycle boots for riding a scooter?
They're very expensive.

Since we have no gears to shift, no hot exhaust pipes to brush up against, no brake pedal, or pegs, why would we need boots?

I know I will need boots to take my safety course.
(I can wear my old safety boots or my winter boots for that).
Do we need them for everyday riding?

We don't even have our feet exposed to rain, tucked in behind the fairing as we are.

I may wear my old western boots anyway, as I need the reach from the saddle, plan on having these resoled with rubber lifts etc.

I'm hoping that ordinary shoes will do as well.
Rubber soled of course.
Don't want my feet slipping out from under me on an oil slick, or wet road. :)

What are everyone's thoughts on this subject.

As an aside, what about the rear passenger?
Will my wife's ankles be exposed to wind and weather, more so than I will, sitting up there on her perch behind me?
Do pant legs ride up more for the rear passenger because of the foot position?
Does she need boots.
Will she get wetter, or colder, since she is not directly behind a fairing?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wear my cruiserworks boots on both the Bandit and Burgman. MC boots are designed to protect toes and ankles. MC designed boots have a non-slip sole. Also, if it does rain, a good waterproof boot is worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well, I'll be honest here. I have a pair of HD boots (they were the cheapest I could find), they are okay and I know I'm protected when I wear them but they hurt my feet. They are heavy too. Sometimes I wear my hiking boots. Not as protected but a little(in my mind). And then sometimes I'm a rebel and wear my sneakers. I was in full leathers the other day with my sneakers because I didn't feel like changing my footwear. Granted if something would have happened, I might have lost a foot.

So....don't get the cheapest pair or you'll be like me not wanting to wear them because they are uncomfortable. Invest in a good pair that you can afford. Next ones I get will be most likely ones like some Joe Rocket boots or along those lines.

BTW, when I dropped the bike in the safety course, even with my riding boots on I suffered a sprained ankle and torn ligaments. Probably would have broken my ankle if I hadn't had them on.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Pinwheel,

Glad to hear you didn't break anything, but sounds like a big ouchy anyway! I decided long ago to always wear some form of boot when I ride. Although my hiking boots don't come up on my leg as far as I would like, they are the minimum protection I feel comfortable with. I have an old pair of black lace up boots that I generally wear. I like them because I can get snug around the ankle and they have rubber-like soles. They are only about 7-8 inches high, so I don't feel like a storm trooper when I wear them. I bought a pair of waterproof boots that zip up and have a velcro closure. They are fine for biking, but forget walking around in those things. They are made with a slight angle that is beneficial when you ride. I haven't worn them in a while because I don't like having to carry different shoes around. I have yet to find the perfect pair of boots, but I'm still looking!

Madonna

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wear Cruiserworks motorcycle boots. My feet are very important to me. The boots are extremely comfortable and waterproof. I have the lace-up style ladies boots. They even look OK with pants or a long skirt when I am not on the Burgman. The nice thing about Cruiserworks boots is they come in wide sizes. I needed that.

I also wear all my protective gear even when I ride the Vespa. That includes a motorcycle jacket (vented mesh in hot weather and textile or leather in cooler weather), gloves and a full face helmet. On occasion on the Vespa I will wear an open face helmet.

What you wear when you ride depends on how much you value your body parts. I remember on guy saying he enjoys eating steak so he always wears a full face helmet to protect his jaw. I makes sense doesn't it? If you make the investment in the scooter make the investment in yourself too.

Janine

·
Registered
848 Posts
You should always wear footwear that gives ankle support when riding your motorcycle or scooter. You may have to unknowingly rely on the boots to help support the machine if you find yourself in an unbalanced situation. Running shoes and other footwear also have a bad habit of coming off the feet in the event of a spill. Think about taking a grinder to your feet and your ankle bone, that's what asphalt would do in an awful hurry to bare feet. Don't leave anything to chance, wear your gear.
When I took my motorcycle safety course we were told if we wanted a good demonstration of what happens to unprotected skin just drop a roast on the road at 30 miles an hour and see the results.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
It's not if there needed to ride but how much protection your footwear offers in case of an accident. I wear Teknic street boots that are waterproof. They are mid calf in height and offer plenty of support. Do I need them? Who knows! I got them for a great price so I wear them.

Now for the passenger. Mine complains early in the spring and late in the fall that her feet get cold. The passenger does seem to be more exposed to the elements than the rider.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I always wear riding boots, whether on the motorcycle or the scooter. Ankle support and protection is important. I sprained my ankle very badly year before last when fishing with my grandson. It was extremely painful, and kept me from riding for two months. I have also had a car run over a steel bar and flip it airborne - striking me in the ankle. It stung, but no damage was done. Even in a low speed fall down, the machine can land on top of your ankle. Things will happen from time to time when riding that are simply bizzare. Ankles are a complex part of your body, and heal slowly when damaged - they rarely return to 100 percent. Wear your gear on every ride - including boots.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Good points all. I guess I'm just a lazy guy but...I have to dress sort of nice where I work so, I usually wear my wingtips to work with a thick leather jacket, gloves, full face, and sort of sturdy pants (like heavy dockers.)

I wish there was a velcro strap-over shoe-ankle-shin protector sort of thing (kinda like gooloshes - sp?) Something I could strip off and throw in the trunk upon arrival. Do any ya'll know or seen such a thing?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Guess that makes me the odd man out, don't wear boots on the bike or scooter, I do use high top sneakers all the time though.
As far as I know, no one has proved that boots (except perhaps motocross) will prevent a sprain, if your ankle can't move in a boot you can't walk, if it can move it can get sprained.
I believe High top sneaker protect the ankle bone from a blow as well or better then a piece of leather .

Pete wrote
I wish there was a velcro strap-over shoe-ankle-shin protector sort of thing
Yes there is such a thing, can't remmember were I saw them but will look and let you know.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Pete said:
(snipped) but...I have to dress sort of nice where I work so, I usually wear ...(snipped) and sort of sturdy pants (like heavy dockers.)
Pete; sort of sturdy pants are about as good as bare skin. As an example run down the street wearing the pants and drop to your knees. You will probably be going about 5 - 7 mph, will have severe road rash and will be in severe pain for quite a long time. (Not to mention that the neighbours will really start to question your sanity :p ) Now try getting off your scoot at 30, 40, 50 mph. Not a good scene at all. Check out the some of the riding gear via the link below. Cheap, no but how much work would you miss while the nurses picked gravel out of your hide? (Glad to see you wear a full face helmet to protect your rugged good looks) :D

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

If I rode to work, I would wear a Roadcrafter Suit.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
tks randy (for the msg).

·
Registered
48 Posts
lilleyen said:
Since we have no gears to shift, no hot exhaust pipes to brush up against, no brake pedal, or pegs, why would we need boots?

snip

We don't even have our feet exposed to rain, tucked in behind the fairing as we are.

snip

What are everyone's thoughts on this subject.
MAN! I've been riding my wife's 400 more and my motorcycle less and these facts may be the reason!

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
For work I use a plastic bag with my "nice" shoes or leave them at the office and change footwear when I arrive and leave.

I use waterproof hiking boots.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm all for safty, and I do ahve a good leather jacket and good boots, but when its really hot out, I"m not going to wear all my leathers and hot boots, and ride around feeling like I'm melting on my cycle. I feel the same about riding in really cold weather, if I have to wear so many clothes, I can't hardly move, then I'm uncomfortable, and I'm not enjoying riding. I've tried riding it hot weather wearing hot leather boots, a good leather jacket, and the such, and I've felt like I was going to pass out from the heat. Now, wouldn't that make one hell of a mess on the road.
Everyone has to do what they feel is best for them. I'm just saying I don't believe in pushing the safty thing TOO far.
Believe it or not, my most favorite type of riding is on a hot day, all I ahve on is a tee shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Now, to me, thats riding. YES, I can hear you all now, saying.."that guy is nuts". Well, thats what I enjoy. We all like to push the limits sometimes, we all live for a little excitment in our lives. I figure I could jsut as easily get really messed up bad in a car accident, it happens...with all that protection around you, a person still gets messed up bad.

·
Registered
848 Posts
These protective gear threads are always controversial. Personally, I am stuck on wearing lots of gear and spending whatever it takes to protect myself because I can't predict when something will cause me to be in an accident. If I did have such predictive powers I'd have a pile of loot from lottery winnings.
Bottom line, wear what you feel will protect you. I wear what I feel will protect me.

I won't complain that I'm hot if you don't complain that it hurts OK? :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well I feel for you chaps (and chappesses) who have to endure high temperatures and can empathise with the search to keep cool.

But from a safety point of view I would really recommend some leather between your ankle bone and the road surface - it ain't by any means fool proof but could make the difference (even in a minor offy).

For the office issue of smart footwear - I keep my office shoes in the filing cabinet (filed under - S) :lol: Seriously though I had a major clear out with the aim of releasing one complete drawer of the filing cabinet just for that very purpose! :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Like I said Norm. I just am lazy. Heck I dislike putting on socks! If there is one step insead of two....I'll find it....you fine lookin dude. Oh crap! (Galdarn he MUST BE GAY!) uh yeah,....right.....anyhooo....

btw - i aint in "disney land" so i can't help ya with your other post...wish i could, but nope, i cant. prsnly, id love to wrap those hedgerows (sp?) around moonpie and me wit an arbarth fiat 500 in pursuit.

*awaiken from dream*

ff ah, ff, glug....

prsnly - i dont like the tourist things. i like "lower nowhere on 5 dollars a day" - oops, there igo again....bla bla....sorry norm.
:twisted:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Rick,

Well now that I have a 400, I can understand your question. However when I was young and foolish I rode a 350 with sandles. I was inexperienced, intoxicated (which probably saved my life), and had no helmet nor other protective clothing. I hit some sand when I was trying to stop at about 50 mph in a parking lot and was promptly thrown. Without going into too much detail the clutch went right through my left foot to the bone. I also had some other skin erosion but that's another story. Anyway it took a long time for my foot to heal. I was very fortunate that I did not lose toes (and other body parts) and can still walk. So what I am saying to you is that even though there is no clutch on the B's, carry your day shoes in the trunk and wear boots. Your feet will thank you and you will not have to worry about inventing a contraption to carry you to the B for a ride. :!:

Evelyn

1 - 20 of 35 Posts