Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my 650 8,100 miles ago and 18 months. At 600 miles I reported a loose front axle. I found the cause a while ago but never reported it. Upon assembly, the dealer installed the front wheel spacer backwards, by putting the large end towards the wheel, on top of the seal Not inside it. This put pressure on the seal, and at 600 miles the seal collapsed, thus making the wheel loose. The good news is, when the seal collapsed, it did a very neat job. when I tighened up the axle, the large end of the spacer fit nice and snug inside what was left of the seal. Typically I reassemble things the way they were taken off, in this case it was wrong.

It's not really correct, but it has been working, it has been that way ever since I tighened the front end up. I do have a new seal sitting on my bench, and plan on installing it when I install a new front tire.

Here is a link to the origional post

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1268

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
hmmm.
Ya know what Jim? I've had some rattlin 'round up there also. I'll have to read on more. But it's when we (Moonpie an I) are going over real rough tarmack. Kind of a clunkety clunk clunk thing. With all the tupperware and plastic all over the place its tough to pinpoint if its the windshield, bodywork, or something important. I don't "feel" the same through the bike...... I just sort of hear it. But it's annoying, sort of like riding a walmart bicycle versus a Trek.
I guess I should check my axle units huh? i am at 1200 miles now...

·
Super Moderator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to also check the "triple tree" (upper fork assembly). I gave mine about a 1/4 turn and that also helped.

All the bolts should be checked at about 600 miles, as listed in the manual. They do need to get snugged up, after seating in

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had some rattlin 'round up there also

I would get a wobble when the wheel was turened all the way to the stop when starting out. I was afarid that it was the bearings in the wheel or the shocks were bad. It turned out that the steerin stem bearing was the problem. tightened a half turn and everything was like new. No more noises when going over ruff spots and no more shakeing when starting out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts