Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Fold back mirrors

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Rusty J 
#1 ·
When I bought my 2009 Burgman Executive last spring I thought that the electric fold back mirrors on the bike was a waste of money. I tried them out once to make sure they worked properly and promptly forgot them. Filed them away with the manual function for the transmission. Nice to show to people who were interested in my bike, but otherwise pretty much useless for my riding style.

Fast forward to this fall and me trying to fit all three of my bikes into my 16X20 shop with all my roll around tool boxes and work bench and so on. Pulled the Burgman in last and found that the mirrors were going to hit things. Hit the button to fold the mirrors back and tah dah! Everything fit. I barely got me out of the shop with the bikes in it but they were all under cover inside the shop for the winter.

Looks like the fold back mirrors were not such a waste of money after all.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#2 ·
Only time I've used mine was when the salesman showed them to me. Now the power windshield that another story. ;)

#3 ·
The button to activate them was broken off when I bought my '07 Exe last summer. No biggie, I can still fold them in by hand if I want to and when I turn the key on...viola! They pop back out on their own.

Now if I could just get the rest of the ice and snow to clear off of my street I would go take it for a much needed ride.

#4 ·
I've used mine a few times when I was riding with the setting sun directly behind me. Sun reflecting off the mirrors was right in my eyes. I folded them in then I would just open them every once in a while to see what was behind me and close them right back up. Other than that I haven't found a lot of use for them.

#5 ·
I use the fold back mirrors daily. First to park my bikes. I have a small shed and they both fit, but just bearly. I have to have one on the side stand and on the center stand just get in between them.

Second, Lane splitting. Wish I had the electric ones, but every once in a while, I'll fold one in to help get through the traffic. Very helpful here in CA.

So the foldable mirrors are helpful to some.

#6 ·
Yeah if you have to park in tight places or if your state allows lane splitting then they probably are useful. Since neither of those apply for me I've mostly just ignored that button.

#7 ·
I don't lane split that much. If I needed to fold the mirrors to fit............. I'm not in that much of a hurry. ;)

#9 ·
If you're folding back the mirrors for lane-splitting, consider mounting a couple of convex spot-mirrors at the lower corners of the windshield so you still have some rear vision once the main mirrors are retracted.

#11 ·
Mine are in the 'parked' position right now. If it weren't for those folding mirrors I'd probably knock one off in my tight garage parking space. Keeps me from rubbing up against the new paint on the Karmann Ghia when I need to get into the garage.

#13 ·
No, that isn't correct. The manual mirrors flip in exactly the same way as the electric mirrors - I flip mine manually at least 20 times daily when filtering between vehicles on my K3.

I think what you mean is that the electric mirrors cannot be flipped manually without potentially damaging the mechanism.

#14 ·
I agree with Garry. Although the mirrors CAN be folded back on occasion without any apparent damage, it makes a horrible clicking/grinding noise telling you not to do that again until you make up for it by taking her out on some twisties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.