Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
After trying to hold on to, not his waist, but his arm, you'll notice that there is
maybe 1 frame of her losing grip before sliding off the back and trying to keep
her gloved left hand on the pavement for as long as she could.

After she departed the bike altogether, the rider locked the brakes after
she tried to stay away from the rear wheel in the first place.

Where's the rest of the tape? Maybe I don't want to know.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
A really stupid stunt with a passenger aboard. The rider did not possess enough common sense to be riding with a passenger. I also have to believe it was an intentional stunt, or there would have been no camera there filming. Harsh, but that is my immediate reaction to seeing it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Actually, this video has nothing to do with riding gear. Ignorance takes more riders than lack of riding gear and helmets. Frankly, riding gear and helmets are good for the experienced rider that has the rare unfortunate event that causes an accident. However, the idiot doing wheelies @ 100+MPH, well, when he wipes out, he's dead. There's nothing left but picking up the pieces.

If there would have been a car behind these two, she would have been dead. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I wonder if they were and still are 'an item' :?:

The fundamental problem is kids do not have a sense of their own mortality - thats why they do stupid stunts.

I have never done that particular stunt but I have done stupid things in my youth - the major difference - No Video Cameras!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
ItsNotASkutah said:
I'm showing this to my daughter, tonight.
I wish I could find that girl that was in my MSF class to talk to your daughter. The reason she was there was, she was on the back of a bike, like the one in the video, with her boyfriend. 115+ miles an hour on a straightaway. 90 degree corner "Out of nowhere!!" (as if it magically appeared in front of them) Bike hit curb. Boyfriend flips over bike and lands head first into a stone wall. (The infamous new england stone walls are everywhere out here.)

He died on impact. She flew over the wall and lived, but spent six months in the hospital and spent 3 years recovering. Of course, neither had helmets... not that it would've helped much at that speed. New Hampshire! Live Free and DIE!! Or something like that...

Anyway, she said she never again wanted to be a rider and wanted to be in control of her own life. Which in and of itself I think was pretty brave. Not sure I'd ever get on a bike after something like that. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Just shows you really need to be careful who you ride with ...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Assuming this was real (not a stunt), and the passenger died, some questions arise:

1) Would the driver be charged with homicide? If yes, what degree?
2) Would the driver be tested for alcohol or other drugs?
3) If homicide charges, what could possibly be a defense?
4) Family could sue for wrongful death (civil, then punitive damages).

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
Assuming this was real (not a stunt), and the passenger died, some questions arise:

1) Would the driver be charged with homicide?
It depends on the state/parish/province/etc.

Could be vehicular homicide, negligent homicide, manslaughter, etc.

"Real" or "stunt" might affect the degree, but is not a complete defense. There have been several famous cases where movie companies have been charged when stunts have gone awry, the case of the "Twighlight Zone" movie that resulted in the death of Vic Morrow and a child (children?) being one that comes immediately to mind.

This video demonstrates a disturbing trend that is in part fueled by "reality TV" programs that pay the submitters of tapes that are aired. The more "Xtreme" (deliberate mis-spelling) the footage, the more likely that it will pay off.

In short: Stupid, stupid, stupid.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Feel sorry for her

It's clear that the stunt was intentional, the cameras were rolling.
This is strictly and ego induced stunt that got an inocent really hurt.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Feel sorry for her

Monterey10 said:
It's clear that the stunt was intentional, the cameras were rolling.
This is strictly and ego induced stunt that got an inocent really hurt.

Mmmm - she didn't have to get on the bike!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

NormanB said:
That sort of presumes that she knew what was going to happen, wouldn't you say?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

Brian said:
NormanB said:
Thats one way of looking at it - but few people have the ability to foretell the future with any accuracy.

But - she may have known this guy was a 'tosser' when it comes to stunts on bikes and she was thrill seeking too!

Tosser = Idiot

·
Registered
822 Posts

Brian said:
NormanB said:
And he didn't have to do the wheelie either!

The way I understand it, if intent can be shown (ie: he's a beneficiary on her life insurance policy), then he'd be charged with premeditated murder.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey

This is really interesting. :read2:

In the UK, we are catching up with the US and developing this litigious mindset. So forgive me if I have not quite fine tuned my mind too -

'Anything that happens to me MUST be some other bastards fault - I know I have a brain but it was busy doing something else!

'How was I to know the coffee was hot!'

It seems a pretty lucrative way to conduct life (well at least for the lawyers). No worries, we are slow this side of the pond, But we will catch up. :D :) :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
NormanB said:
Hey

This is really interesting. :read2:

In the UK, we are catching up with the US and developing this litigious mindset. So forgive me if I have not quite fine tuned my mind too -

'Anything that happens to me MUST be some other bastards fault - I know I have a brain but it was busy doing something else!

'How was I to know the coffee was hot!'

It seems a pretty lucrative way to conduct life (well at least for the lawyers). No worries, we are slow this side of the pond, But we will catch up. :D :) :D
Even more interesting... US Laws are based on the old English laws!! I guess it goes back to when the 13 original colonies over here were established. Regardless, we've managed to evolve to the point where our society lives by: "someone has to take the blame"! Pretty scary stuff.
Tort reform? Hah!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I say that Darwin had a theory about these folks. Strength isn't just muscular, sometimes its intellectual.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
chuck807 said:
Even more interesting... US Laws are based on the old English laws!! I guess it goes back to when the 13 original colonies over here were established. Regardless, we've managed to evolve to the point where our society lives by: "someone has to take the blame"! Pretty scary stuff.
Tort reform? Hah!!
Hi Chuck :)

Good point! Of course I have no problem that if harm is done then the guilty ******* has a responsibility it just seems (from afar) that there seems to be no weight given to 'reasonable' personal responsibility for ones own safety. The test of reasonableness is of of course for the court to decide.

The Hot Coffee example is both trite and appropriate in exposing how ridiculously low the threshold of personal responsibility has been assessed to be, by some US Courts. (My opinion from afar - and I am not a lawyer!)

If I could have my time over again - it would be a lawyers brief for me - so many opportunities!! :evil:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts