Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to motorcycles.

What brands/types,whatever would you recommend to use for a NEW Burgie?

I'm talking motor oil, hypoid oil, transmission, grease, coolant, etc...

I'd like to stick with whatever the dealer/mfr has put in in the first place, but do the members here use in their own bikes?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
As long as it meets specs. it will work.
You raise an interesting question, though. Are the scooters filled with oil at the dealer, or the factory? In either case, I suspect they are using whatever they can get the cheapest that will meet specs.
Some recommend going with synthetic, others recommend staying with traditional. Some say no to synthetics until after break in, others say it doesn't matter, as some high performance cars come from the factory with synthetic. Stay away from energy saving oils, per Suzuki.
For coolant, you don't have to change it for a couple of years, and when the time comes, again stick to specs. Just make sure you mix with distilled water, and use a coolant that is approved for aluminum.
The owners manual spells out which specs to adhere to.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It is a topic that could drive you to the Tavern. :)
There is a lot of information to be had here by doing a search. But the bottom line as stated above, if meet or exceeds specs. you can use it.

In fact I just decided to buy a different brand of oil today, I was looking for my old brand and and after a careful scientific study decided I like the new blue white container better then the old all black container :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Lots of different opinions on this. I can only tell you what I do.

I've always stuck with lubricants made for motorcycles. Been riding for many years, and I've always done that. I've used regular motorcycle oil, semi-synthetic m/c oil, and full synthetic m/c oil in various bikes. I change my oil at the recommended intervals regardless of which type I use. I have never had a major mechanical problem, so all those variants of oil have worked fine. I am starting to think that full synthetic is not worth what it costs. Although I have been using it in my scooter for the last 14,000 miles, I am going to switch to Honda semi-synthetic oil this week (I have 18,000 miles on the scooter now). It costs half as much as the Silkolene full synthetic that I have been using. Why Honda? My dealer carries all the Japanese brands so he has it on the shelf. Even though I've ridden Kawasaki's and Suzukis mostly the last ten years, I like the Honda chemical products, both for lubricants and bike cleaning. If he only had Kawasaki or Suzuki or Yamaha oil on the shelf, I'd go with one of those.

The only firm recommendation I'll make is that you stick with lubricants that meet the specifications given in your owner's manual, and change them at the recommended intervals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts