Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 9,000 miles in 19 days.

This is a charity ride for deaf babies and/or deaf seniors. It is organized by a physician in Florida. All the information is at the web site. This run is made every year.

Here is the link to the Daily Log:

http://www.alaskabikerun.com/index.html

Janine :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Who is going on this ride next year? I don't know if I could take 19 days in the saddle at 500 miles per day. Can you say MONKEY BUTT :pottytrain2:

380 miles in one day was tops for me, but I don't think I could do that for more than 3 or 4 days in a row. That was using an Airhawk pillow on the seat too.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've done 500 mile days on my 650. Not too bad. But 19 of them in a row? And in all likelihood the weather would not be perfect for all of those days. I probably couldn't handle that. But there are some folks who could.

Now let's look at logistics.

Service intervals for the Burgmans are every 3500 miles. So twice, you would need to get the scoot serviced and still do the 500 miles that day. Not going to happen. Didn't see anything during my quick scan of the itinerary about even oil change stops being arranged. At a minimum, I'd want fresh lubricants at the halfway point.

Many of us get only 5000 to 8000 miles from a rear tire. So somewhere along the way you'd need a fresh rear tire. Going to carry it with you? Or pre-order it to be waiting somewhere along the way? If so, at what point along the way? If you misjudge, you could run out of tire 1000 miles before you get to the one thats waiting. If you start with a fresh front tire, it would likely be good for the whole trip, but I'd bet against the rear tire making it.

A challenging ride for sure!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul,

Good points. On the Cannonball Run 2005, I saw they planned for oil changes and tires. That was the run fron Virginia Beach to Los Angeles on small scooters. Maybe, on this trip, they made arrangements and didn't list them.

Are there any bikes that could do the distance, at least one way, without needing service and tires?

Speaking of tires, which do you run on your Burgman? Do you think one is better than the other for handleing or wear?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JKerstinJ said:
Paul,

Good points. On the Cannonball Run 2005, I saw they planned for oil changes and tires. That was the run fron Virginia Beach to Los Angeles on small scooters. Maybe, on this trip, they made arrangements and didn't list them.

Are there any bikes that could do the distance, at least one way, without needing service and tires?

Speaking of tires, which do you run on your Burgman? Do you think one is better than the other for handleing or wear?

Janine,

I run Pirelli GTS tires on my 650. The ride is much improved, and I'm getting better tire wear from them. I think handling is about the same, but doesn't deteriorate as much as the tires wear (compared to the Bridgestones). Pirelli now has a new sport series tire available (Diablo), but we haven't had any feedback on it yet. I really like the GTS series tires though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Read all about it

There is a story you can read on the beadrider.com web site about a guy who made the trip in under 5 days. Talk about a road story!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rif, what a road story. I don't think I will try it in 5 days, maybe 30 will be more like it. I'm sure glad that he said what he did about Florida, no one that hasn't lived here can image how hot & humid it is. People move here from the north to get away from the cold, & then they can't stand the heat, & they have spent all of there money moving here & can't afford to move back. It may only be 95 or 98, but the humidity is 100%. I just walked out into the garage for about 2 mins & was completly broke out in a sweat, last week I believe I had a heat stroke mowing the lawn. I do wear armour on Burgy, but is almost unbearable. I never see anyone with any on in the summer time. I have lived in Florida all of my life & you never get used to the heat.

Butch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts