Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a few months in Fla. every winter, and it's the only time I see at least one Burgman a day. In New Jersey, I rarely see one while riding. I tried to rent one at a scooter rental store, but all I could get was a 50cc Chinese scooter with a top speed of 40MPH (going downhill with the wind at my back.)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
From the amount of members that write in from Florida, I'd say you're right. New state Moto...

Florida, the Burgman state!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Though I don't see that many Burgmans here in Florida, we are absolutely awash in scooters. Most of them are the 49cc variety, but there are plenty of bigger ones too.

Of course, we see all sorts of odd things here. There's a red Ferrari which is often parked at my local grocery store. There are at least two Bentley coupes with whom I jockey on my commute. And last Wednesday morning I saw a Tesla Model 2.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Burgman sightings

I spend a few months in Fla. every winter, and it's the only time I see at least one Burgman a day.

That's because Florida is one of the few place you can enjoy riding all year round. One of the Real Estate offices has a sign which reads "We don't have to shovel sunshine".

Last week we had a group ride. Eight Burgman 650's showed up. All retired Sr. Citizens.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
We have year round riding as well, perhaps more so as we don't seem to get much rain.

But I swear I think I know every Burgman rider in Los Angeles. I help lead the largest scooter group in the city, im a member of most others, i even ride with a few MC groups. There just aren't that many, several dozen, 50 at most. I've seen the same showroom floor Burgmans at the local dealer for many, many months. They don't sell.

We might have a younger demographic or a more style conscious one at least. There's thousands of Harley's, sport bikes and BMWs in Los Angeles, but not many maxis. Especially considering a county of 18M people.

It's quite sad really. But this is life in the big city I guess. Harrumph.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
158 Posts
One thing I've noticed other than the great weather in Florida is all the nice smooth roads. Suspension upgrades don't seem to be necessary. I ride every chance I get and I'm aware of only 4 other Burgmans in the Dunnellon area. Mostly all I see are Harley types, very few of which wave.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad to hear that you're not plagued with road construction up in Dunnellon. We've got plenty of it down here in Tampa and it can make you long for a suspension upgrade... :(

We wave down here, but a lot of times the traffic is too intense for it. I've gotten wave-backs from all sorts of folks though - including from both 1%ers and Motor Patrol LEOs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One thing I've noticed other than the great weather in Florida is all the nice smooth roads. Suspension upgrades don't seem to be necessary. I ride every chance I get and I'm aware of only 4 other Burgmans in the Dunnellon area. Mostly all I see are Harley types, very few of which wave.
Excuse me....Florida roads are the worst. Don't know about you but my
burgman eats tires for lunch and dinner. Lucky to get 5,000 miles out of a rear tire. Hence, my switch to shinko. Next switch, do i dare say without insighting a verbal barrage...car tire.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Excuse me....Florida roads are the worst.
Sounds like you haven't been to Ohio or Michigan, (probably most northern states) seams the cold does a job on the roads. A friend in Detroit told me it's like driving through a mine field as they have no money to fix roads. We do have allot of road construction here but that leads to allot of good roads when they get done. I seam to get around 8,000 on the rear and 15,000 on my front tires.

Reactions: xringracing

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't care one whit about the verbal barrage; the next rear is going to be a car tire.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I don't care one bit about the verbal barrage; the next rear is going to be a car tire.
You wouldn't get any from me. See below. ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I don't care one whit about the verbal barrage; the next rear is going to be a car tire.
We have more than one member in our club running a car tire that are happy with them. I've been thinking about giving one a try myself.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Back when I was riding a Concours, I always went for the Metzler 880 because I could count on routinely getting 20k-25k out of a rear tire. Even at that, I was replacing them twice a year. I've got just under 7k on my OEM Bridgestone now and the rear is showing significant wear. It's just unrealistic to plan on doing 4 or 5 tire changes a year. I'm just glad to know there's a reasonable alternative.

People would question my choice of the Metzlers because they don't grip like most of the sport tires. Not a problem; I live in Florida where we have 11 curves in 318 miles. I just don't need that kind of performance. On the rare occasions when I get up into the mountains, I simply TAKE IT EASY - a pretty darned good option when you consider my skill level in the unfamiliar twisties.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
806 Posts
Excuse me....Florida roads are the worst. Don't know about you but my
burgman eats tires for lunch and dinner. Lucky to get 5,000 miles out of a rear tire. Hence, my switch to shinko. Next switch, do i dare say without insighting a verbal barrage...car tire.
Hey Wayneman. Did you ever check with your insurance company to see whether your insurance covers you with a car tire? I'm also temped. I get about 7,000 on the rear Bridgestone. Most of my miles are in the country. I don't know of anyone who will install them in my area.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>Did you ever check with your insurance company to see whether your insurance covers you with a car tire?<<

Does the phrase "leave a sleeping dog lie" ring a bell here?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Inverness

Not so far from Dunellon, I have a 400, and a 650... Mebe see U on the road, some day...
PS - also have a Harley...

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have year round riding too if you can stand the brutal summers and many scooters here w/ Chinese in areas of universities and I see more Burgmans around than ever before.

I believe there could be a huge increase in Burgman sales if the dealers were more proactive and had and marketed demos and salespeople who were up to speed on them and mechanics with Burgman experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Florida

Would love to move from Canada down to Florida and ride my Burgman all year round. Sadly I still gotta make a living so hopefully retirement will bring on that opportunity. We have maybe 4 months of decent riding weather here in Calgary, Alberta.

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
polk county is huge, mostly agriculture tourism but our roads are well maintained, except for the occasional sinkhole, our school budget is larger than some smaller countries gdp and our roads budget is close to that. i see maybe 8 a year maxi scoots here but my circle is small and routine. dang few places nearby to sell or service the burgman and 2 of them,,,, my allotment of cusswords per month is not sufficient to do justice. i got 10k on my rear tire, but the 13 and up are easier on tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts