Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well made it home to NJ in good shape except for being tired after driving none stop for 18 hours and I had rain from Virginia all the way home to NJ.

Want to THANK Capt Denny for being a good host in Port St Lucie and taking the time to ride with me and showing me some of the surrounding areas, I now I have a much better understanding and respect for mother nature hurricanes.

For those who heard about the damage I had to my bike from the cover being on the bike for the trip down, well it was not as bad as it sounded. What happened is the cover was slapping and cause the color off the cover to rub on parts of the painted panel and other area but I was able to use a light compound polish to remove the marks and on the painted panels. The clear coat did get scratched in a few area also but it look like the panels has a good thick coat so I was able to polish those area off but in two places it got rubbed all the way down and you can see the black color of the panels before they were painted but those area are under the bike.

Against Denny recommendation I used the cover for the trip home as I did not want the bike to dirty as my SUV rear tires kick up so much in the rain and dread the thought of have to spend hours with a tooth brush and a box of cotton swabs to clean the bike after the trip, but this time I was smart I used painters (blue) tape and cover all the edge around the bike that might get rubbed from the cover and WALLA it works like a champ. Bike was clean except for the under side and no more paint rub but you must see how the bike looks with all this blue tape all over it, of course I went over board when applying the tape ( will post a photo in my photo gallery later)

On another note Capt Denny has what I believe is a MUST for all long distance riders the Utopia back rest, he gave me the chance to ride his Burg to try it out and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE it was like riding a new bike, this thing was so comfortable that I left like I could have going on for days without stopping. Denny I envy you right now as I will have to do some deep modifications to my seat to get it to work on my seat as I do not have the stock back rest anymore and it is required for installation but you know I will not stop until I get it to fit and look right and to match the cover of my seat. Also he has the Vista cruise control that is great and that too will be going on my Burg, yes of course I went shopping for new toys for the bike.

It was really nice to be able to ride with no jacket and shorts in high 70's and low 80's weather while my other riding Buddies up north was some 30 to 40 degrees lower (sorry Guys), maybe I will not tell you when I head down in January when again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome home buddy!
Glad to hear there was no major damage to your Baby!
Let's get together next week!

Johnny

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saturday look like it will be the better of the two days temp wise. I have to clean of all the tape and give the bike a good polish, you are welcome to swing by if you are not doing anything and I will show you the two new toys I got in Florida. By the way did you get your Garmin and brackets yet and the back rest. Also my BMW R1200 Buddy might go for a ride as I am planning on joining him if he does not leave too early, must clean bike first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
saturday

hey, it's your other R1200C buddy!

welcome back. i'm hoping to sneak out for a short ride tomorrow. probably 12:30 or so, so i'll likely miss you. if you think you'll be around, let me know.

joe

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Joe, I might not go as he tends to leave early and sometime gone too long. I believe his riding gear has the build in warmers so temp is not a problem for him and I am sure I will not be up early and as I said bike must get cleaned, can't ride with a role of blue tape all over it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Roger it was a pleasure riding with you down here, we managed to click off about 270 miles of riding together from Melbourne Beach FL to West Palm Beach FL and many side trips in between.

The all you can eat buffet for less than $6 is something for all to look forward to when riding this way, the desert bar with the chocolate chip green mint ice cream was to die for, if you weren't pressed for time, I could have stayed for another 30 minutes having more. (what's the weight cap on the Burg :p )

The pool water temp is nearly perfect, so I'm splashing around like "Flipper" 8) . Thank you for phoning and telling me you arrived safe.

Get your business matters taken care of and like the old commercial stated, "Come-on-down! 8)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spend the last 4 hours cleaning my Burg off, after removing all the blue tape had to use a compound cleaner to get off some of the gum that the tape left and had to give the bike a good polish clean all the gray plastic parts wheels were very dirty. There were more places that I saw in Florida that clear coat had to be buff off but not anymore spots where the paint rubbed off to the plastic, all in all if I was going to trailer the bike again on a long distance I would do the same if the weather through my path was going to be a bad as I had it heading home. Can just imagine how worst it would have gotten if I did not have the cover as some rain and dirt did get up under the cover, now time to pull it a part to put the new toys on and to get working on that wonderful Utopia back rest that I envy Denny having at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
backrest

burg650 said:
Just spend the last 4 hours cleaning my Burg off, after removing all the blue tape had to use a compound cleaner to get off some of the gum that the tape left and had to give the bike a good polish clean all the gray plastic parts wheels were very dirty. There were more places that I saw in Florida that clear coat had to be buff off but not anymore spots where the paint rubbed off to the plastic, all in all if I was going to trailer the bike again on a long distance I would do the same if the weather through my path was going to be a bad as I had it heading home. Can just imagine how worst it would have gotten if I did not have the cover as some rain and dirt did get up under the cover, now time to pull it a part to put the new toys on and to get working on that wonderful Utopia back rest that I envy Denny having at the moment.
Any picture sof that backrest? Sounds interesting!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: backrest

lilleyen said:
burg650 said:
Any picture sof that backrest? Sounds interesting!
To see photos of the Utopia Back rest go to gallery under Palm Beach ride taken 7 Dec 2004.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seatec it is a Hercules motorcycle trailer http://www.herculestrailers.com/ and it a great trailer for the price, well worth the money. There price is going up in January 05 so if you like it then get it before the increase, you can also get it on eBay for the old price now Item number is 4509666665 or link is Hercules motorcycle trailer on eBay The only thing I would like to have on the trailer is a wheel chock and they are coming out with one to fit this trailer as that makes it a lot easer to have the bike up right and not worrying about if it will off over while trying to tie it down as it did on my first try but another good point about this trailer is the bed is so low that the wheels finder sits up high and that will prevent the bike from completely falling off the trailer as it will come to rest against the fender as I found out the hard way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts