Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do a 2 or 3-day ride in Northern FL, I have been as far east (from Mobile AL) as Panama City.

Any suggestions? Maybe as far as Tampa, to ride over the big bridge. US 98 through Apalachicola is marked "scenic" on my cheapo atlas. So I will hit it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Your cheapo atlas is right; US98 is a 2-lane road that winds along the coast through tiny fishing villages before going through the wildlife refuges of the Big Bend region. The Port St Joe Scallop Festival (a VERY cool little fair which was, oddly enough, utterly bereft of scallops) is held at the end of July. There's a very nice dockside hotel with an attached seafood restaurant right on the water in Apalachicola. Perry is the first significant town past Apalachicola, so gas up before heading into the Big Bend.

You can stay on US98 the whole way to Perry; in fact, you can stick with it all the way to Homosassa (fabulous park at Homosassa Springs - WELL worth the price of admission) but at that point you have to start looking for US19. Now US19 is a beautiful road for riding north of Homosassa - four-lane divided highway which is largely abandoned since I-75 came through in the 70s. But below Homosassa it turns into traffic purgatory. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is very cool and well worth seeing, but you should pick up I-75 once you get to Pinellas county.

Mobile to my house in the area north of Tampa takes about 10 hours on this beautiful route, though you can shave three hours off of that by pounding along the interstate.

·
Registered
363 Posts
2 to there day tour

My wife rode over to Crystal River from the east coast and stayed at a well known and wonderful place whose name I have promptly forgotten[ darn-getting older will do that to you]. We then rode down to Homassa Springs and took the tour. Well worth it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We've enjoyed some great diving/snorkeling in the north/central Florida area in the many springs. They run about 68 degrees F year-round. With a wet suit (which, you can rent), you can comfortably swim all day. The waters are crystal clear and guided trips are available in some areas. One great one we took years ago was Crystal River where, we were taken to its source and snorkeled around there for a while before going with the current for a ways. I spotted a school of 6-8 lb black bass in the source area (no fishing allowed). Areas of the river bottom boil up (from the up flow, not actually hot) with eroded deposits in a fashion like popping popcorn. We were then taken to Kings Bay, where the river empties into the Gulf and snorkeled with the manatees (they swim from the ocean waters up into the springs in the winter months due to the water's relative warmth and so, aren't found in the springs in the warmer months).

http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/map/crystal-river/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts