Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is the tavern, and I am already on vacation mentally, figured I would check with you Florida folks for suggestions on the Keys. Will be there March 14-21, staying on Marathon. Anything I need to visit or do while there? We will do the touristy stuff on Key West, and have tickets for Spamalot one evening. Other than that, we are pretty open.

TIA.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The usual, diving (Halls is great) beach is nice, not great but nice. Fishing is excellent. A lot of bars but the mom and pops have been mostly taken over by the chain restaurants. I love Marathon, great place to visit and eat a few lobster.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I relax in Florida, I must say, what great weather for riding. I have seen a lot of motorcycles and 2 scooters on Marathon. With pretty much one road in Marathon, they must all be heading to or from Key West.

I have eaten just about everything that used to swim or crawl in the ocean, and it is good. Lobster reuben sandwich was lunch today along with stone crab claws and a nice local beer. Saturday I leave the 83 degree weather to go back to Minneapolis and temps in the 40's. Vacation ends too soon.

·
Registered
301 Posts
we spent a week on marathon. sunset grill for sunsets(south end near start of 7 mile bridge). island fish house(kinda north end on right going south. Good raw oysters. Both places had crowds that were easy for 60 year olds to start up a conversation, not all old people though. 7 mile grill has great samiches( I enjoyed a grouper samich there.) If I had to vacation in the keys every year, I would choose marathon cause I tire of key west action, though I like to spend a day there occasionally.

·
Registered
857 Posts
As I relax in Florida, I must say, what great weather for riding. I have seen a lot of motorcycles and 2 scooters on Marathon. With pretty much one road in Marathon, they must all be heading to or from Key West.

I have eaten just about everything that used to swim or crawl in the ocean, and it is good. Lobster reuben sandwich was lunch today along with stone crab claws and a nice local beer. Saturday I leave the 83 degree weather to go back to Minneapolis and temps in the 40's. Vacation ends too soon.
Did you find a Burgman to rent?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On Marathon, I have seen hundreds of HDs driving around. There is an HD rental not far from me. I have seen 2 scooters being driven.

Yesterday while in Key West, there were hundreds of scooters, mostly driven by people who didn't know how to drive. Darned tough place to drive, but then you have all these amateur scooter drivers driving in the wrong lanes. There are a few rental places for scooters, the little 50cc ones. I did not see rental for anything larger.

I did see a few larger scoots, couple Yamaha bikes, a Honda or two but only one Burgman. Sun does a lot of damage to the bikes, what was clear gets clouded over badly. That means windscreens are foggy which is why most bikes don't have them.

Headed back to Key West on Friday, will keep my eye out for more scoots. I will need patients to drive there, lots of patients.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with just a couple days left here, I was sitting in my resort bar enjoying a beer and some fries with my wife. Sometimes the visitor we get here are a little overbearing. Kind of hate to put your feet down at the bar, not sure what you will step on or have bite at you. This one is small, little over a foot long. Several are about 2 feet long.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts