Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 400 K8 just a couple months ago but I've gotten made at least a dozen mods based on this list. What a great group!

So, here is a mod I came up with. It's getting cold and I wanted to cut down on wind. Suzuki discontinued the side air deflectors and I thought they were overpriced anyway. I decided I could make my own. I have a Reflex (a Burgman gateway drug) and there is a guy named Nelson who sells air deflectors for the Reflex. But he told me he couldn't get his design to work on the burgman. I had a few criteria.

1. Had to be flexible so they would not scratch or break
2. Had to be removable for repairs/summer riding
3. Had to be easy to put back to stock for resale
4. Had to be safe and easy to put my feet down
5. Had to be cheap and easy to do

After a few false starts I decided to use the existing space for the upper rubber floormats. I popped those out and traced out a pattern out of cardboard that started at the top of the leg space and ran to the bottom of the floormat indent. I got a thick rubber mat from Lowes and cut out the mats (under $10). I used a new utility knife blade that I had to sharpen several times. I was able to use some of the existing floormat holes to attach my cut-outs with 8mm plastic rivets--no lasting traces if/when I go back to stock. I drilled 2 holes in the inside upper part of the cowling of the leg space (on each side) to secure the top part of my deflector-mats. I debated about it but decided that if I remove the mats these holes would be hard to see and even harder to see if I just put rivet blanks in the holes.

It took me a while to get the curve right for both looks and air deflection. After road testing for the week I am happy. My pant cuffs do not move and I no longer get wind up my pant legs. I've had the bike up to 90 speedo mph and the deflectors do not vibrate or bulge from the air pressure. I am moderately happy with the way it looks.

I am a little concerned about how long the recycled rubber mat will last before uv's start to break down the glue that holds the ground up pieces of tire together. Eventually I may end up buying 1/4" virgin rubber mats but I had a hard time find a source that was reasonably priced. I'm hoping some the smart folks on this list will come up with design improvements and better materials for when I decide to make myself some gen 2 mats.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great job. I have the Suzuki wind deflectors installed. I would venture to say that the deflectors you made work better. I'm not unhappy with mine but I can see where the units you made would work better. Again nice job.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
good job.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
That was a great idea :thumbright: as the factory reflectors
Don't spread out as far as your design to block the wind.
It looks like your design is very adaptable and flexible

I see you're from Columbus and not far from my location.
We'll have to get together for a ride in the springtime
I'd like to see your wind deflector design to try on my 400

Keep working on the refinement of your deflector as I think it can be very marketable!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Great!! Ideal On the floor Mats, Other then putting your feet down on Plastic for once, Im getting tired of Flimzy Plastic..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts