Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay!! I'm an Active Member now! (Amazing what rain will do...)

Ok, I've had my helmet since I've had my Burgman. ...about 29 days now. I think it's time for a new helmet. I currently have a full face one, but I wear glasses, and that whole "flip up the shield, take off the glasses, pull helmet off, put glasses back on and vice versa when putting the helmet on" is getting really old. So I've been looking at the flip-up helmets. Full Face, like I want, but don't have to take glasses off. I've been looking at the Jarow Mono X2 Helmet, and the Schubert Concept helmet.

Both have a retractable tinted shield for my eyes, as I'm usually out riding before the roosters are awake. I think that might help the solar glare a bit.

Does anyone have these helmets? What do you think? Or other people with the flip up chin portion, what do you think??

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have a HJC CL-Max, with the flip-up chin bar. Much better protection than the 3/4 helmet I used to wear.

I didn't have to wear glasses until a year and a half ago, so can't compare with the 3/4, but I do have to remove the glasses when donning and doffing the helemt. I like a snug fit for safety reasons, and the cheek pads of the helmet pull on the ear pieces of my glasses if I try to leave them on.

It's a hassle, but my brain and face deserve all the protection I can give them (said the devilishly handsome savant humbly). :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Both good helmets with the nod going to the Schubert Concept helmet.
You are aware that flip-ups will be nosier then full face
if you are behind a shield then this will make very little difference.
Except for the inside tinted visor there are other flip-ups some under $100.00 that work just as will.
Myself I use a Zeus and have had no trouble with it going on 4 years. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I recently bought a new helmet. I did not buy a flip-up because quietness was one of my goals. But I did look at a couple of them. I found the same thing that Brian stated. I still had to remove my glasses before putting the helmet on or taking it off due to the snug padding. And I also agree with Brian that proper fit does involve snug padding.

So the main advantage I see, is that you can flip up the front of the helmet when you stop to take a drink or buy gas or to talk with someone or look at your map - without removing the helmet. Not quite all that I had envisioned.

From all tests I had read, the main disadvantage is wind noise if you are not behind a very protective windscreen. The additional seams in the helmet shell and the mechanisms involved with the flip-up mechanism are responsible for that. Since I am 6'6" and riding with the stock windscreen during the Summer - that was a showstopper for me.

Be sure to actually try these on before making a purchase decision. If a dealer will let you wear one for an actual test ride - do it. If you simply purchase from a website without doing that, you'll probably get a great price - but if the helmet doesn't fit right or you don't like it, you are usually looking at absorbing return shipping costs and a restocking fee (generally 20 to 25%). Always be sure that you know what a web dealer's return policy is.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Flip-up helmets

I don't know if their website has archives of prior articles, but Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparison test/rating of modular (flip-up) helmets in their April 2004 issue (Volume 35, Number 4).

Web site is: http://www.mcnews.com

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been using the HJC sy max for three to four years. Good helmet. comfortable and has ok ventilation. It is a little noisy.

Riding the Burgman with the GIVI screen, the helmet works best either with the shield fully closed or open. No in between.

The best way to ride is to put ear plugs in. Then you can crack the shield.

The earplugs really work.

MCN liked the Nolan. From what I heard Nolans are sized different than most other manufacturers, so you should try it on before buying.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jarrow Convertible

I've got the Jarrow Mono Convertible - paid $200 + tax which at the time I thought was a fantastic deal. Now, I know it was just a good deal but not fanstastic.

I like it a lot - very comfortable although I do feel some pressure on my jaws from the padding but it's not really broken in, yet. It's a bit noisy with the visor cracked open a bit but seems relatively quiet when it's all closed up. I've never had a full-face helmet so maybe it is noisier but, it's acceptable to me. My main reason for choosing it over the HJC was a wider field of vision.

Still, I will probably buy an HJC Symax for my wife because my dealer is no longer selling the Jarrow and I don't want to buy her hat off the internet since I don't know which will fit her best.

I do wear glasses and I don't have to take them off to put on the helmet if I flip it up first. That's a huge plus because any time you take your glasses off, you have to worry about where to put them while you don your lid. If they fall and break, that costs at least as much as a good helmet.

Al

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Jarrow Convertible

Al Davison said:
...any time you take your glasses off, you have to worry about where to put them while you don your lid. If they fall and break, that costs at least as much as a good helmet.
I just stick one earpiece in my mouth and let 'em dangle. With the visor flipped up first it's clear sailing, and I never drop 'em nor forget where I put 'em. 8)

·
Registered
240 Posts
casek said:
I also have a Zeus and love it. It was $90 and is really nice looking and practical.
Just remember that there are Zeus 508 and 508S. The 508S is the snowmobile model and the screen does not seal.

I also found that with my Givi tall windscreen, if I keep the faceshield lifted (but leave chin bar down), the buffeting is reduced quite a bit.

Just bought a HJC Symax. It seems to be a bit more snug than Zeus, and I hope it won't affect my glasses much. With my HJC full-face, whenever I run into a bump, the helmet lifts my glasses along with it. Not a good feeling. 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts