Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was really nice and sunny here in Middle Tennessee. I decided to take my 400 out for a spin. Because there was a chill in the air, I put my Termoscud legwarmer on the bike, and merrily took off to buy some soda and generally waste time.

When I got back a few hours later, I decided to tighten up the legwarmer straps; they tend to loosen up after a ride. So, I dismounted, put down the kickstand, and commenced to tugging at the pesky things. I didn't pull very hard...

...but apparently hard enough to fold up the kickstand.

This was not such a terrible tragedy as it might have been, as I'd dropped the bike on the left side before. The only thing there that was new to be damaged was a Givi box; it was deeply scratched, and thus now matches the decor on my side panels. Oh, and I forgot; I sheared off the left-side brake lever. However, while lifting the bike I overbalanced and dropped it on the _right_ side. The Givi escaped further damage, but two really cool-looking black plastic covers were jarred free on the second dropping; one is kinda round and about an inch and a quarter across, and the other looks remarkably like the heel of a single-column .22 semi-auto magazine. (Anyone know where they go? I can't tell at all.)

Yay! Now both sides of my bike match again!

Anyway, I picked the bike up again, finished tightening the straps, and went upstairs to put away my stuff. Whereupon I dropped a bottle of soda into my fridge, knocking out a jug of sour milk which burst on my kitchen floor. While cleaning this up, I slipped and fell.

And some of you wonder why I almost _never_ work on my own bike. Believe me, it's far cheaper for me if I touch it as little as possible...

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Lapine Rider.
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. :)
Did you check your Bio?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Lapine - I think I saw you in a film once about moving a piano - were you the thin one or the amply proportioned one?

Anyhow - thats another fine mess! :)
:D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Sounds like a good ride to on an otherwise bad day. I should have dropped by the house since I'm up in your hometown riding around today. Then again, don't want the spills you've been having to get to me too. I'd be down and out from the first fall. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Flip-flop

Pardon me for laughing. :lol:. But just think.......no one......absolutely no one will ever have a custom designed Burgy like yours. Those scratches are your own unique design. I could walk outside right now and kick my burgy over and never be able to duplicate them. And if you wont to create a new design, just do the flip flop thing again. What you have there is a work of art....in progress. Let us know if you do any more "tweaking" of that design. I would join you in your artistic efforts but at my extreme old age and weakened condition, I would never get the danged thing lifted up once, much less twice. I might manage the flip....but not sure about the flop.

It,s good to see that you have a sense of humor. If you face many more days like that, you are gonna need it :? .

That lock-down spring on the side stand is weak as was demonstrated to me recently. My local gas station has a slightly slanted surface in front of the gas pumps. Not slanted much and certainly didnt look like enough to prevent me from parking downhill. A fellow gasser-upper came over to look at the scotter and asked the usual questions like what kind of gas milage does it get, will it get up to 60mph, how can you steer it without a gas tank between your knees, etc. He reached out and just sort of touched the rear rack and ZIP!!!, the side stand flipped back and the burgy started over. I was standing in front of the scooter and just managed to grab the left handlebar and wouldn't have been able to hold it up by that if my gasser-upper buddy had not grabbed on to the grab rail and helped me. And we almost performed your trick of over compensating and pushing it over to the right side.

Being of the artistic persuasion myself, I am intrigued by the possibilities of your technique. Just think......it would be possible to aesthetically determine the texture of the design depending on where you decide to drop the scooter. Large gravel, small gravel, just plain dirt, sticks and stones. The possibilities are endless. It may be possible to develope this art form to the point that we could tell what part of the country a scooterist is from by examining the scratches on his scooter. :roll:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But just think.......no one......absolutely no one will ever have a custom designed Burgy like yours. Those scratches are your own unique design. I could walk outside right now and kick my burgy over and never be able to duplicate them.

Want me to come over and try? :)

Seriosuly, thanks for all the sympathy. My insurance company is gonna cover it, so I guess all's well.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Lapine Rider said:
I could walk outside right now and kick my burgy over and never be able to duplicate them.
....or notice the new damage at this point. :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will probably drop it and get my own unique set of scratches soon but thanks for the offer to help. :? There is so much gravel in this part of the country that it is always getting kicked up onto the hard surfaces. All it takes is just one little marble sized piece of gravel under my foot as I am coming to a stop and its gymnastics time. Its kind of funny......when we first get a bike, we tend to worry most about the dangers involved when we get up to speed but all my problems so far have ocurred at low speed and stopping plus having the kickstand fold up while parking.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
LR It can happen to anyone. My Burgie is silver so if needed, 3M Duct Tape will match it perfectly. Neal

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lapine Rider said:
... one is kinda round and about an inch and a quarter across, and the other looks remarkably like
the heel of a single-column .22 semi-auto magazine. (Anyone know where they go? I can't tell at all.)...
Could one of those be the black cap that fits into a mirror hinge?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, too big. I've referred the whole thing to a shop, and handed them the caps. So. we'll see how they do.

Thanks, though! And thanks for all the symapthetic notes from others!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I went through that with my wife's car.
Turned out to be off a visitors car, not hers. :oops:

Are you sure they're your parts?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ah yes, yet another use for duct tape. At latest count that would be "use Number 15,378" according to I.B. Sticky, Pres. of the American Consortium of Duct Tape Manufacturers.
I sadly admit that mine went over, one time only, below 5 mph, while practicing the cones at the DMV course (no one witnessed the event on a Sunday morning so I'll only mention it here and disavow any future acknowledgements of it). It took a lot of compound to soften their appearance.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lilyen- Oh, yes. They are absolutely mine. I did this in my own, freshly swept driveway. Plus, the parts looked brand-new, which none of my other vehicles are.

Thanks for the thought, though! Trying to fit parts from something else _could_ get interesting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts