Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to switch the function of the FTP so that when running with the brights I can use it to "flash" oncoming cagers. I really want to use the high beam for running but think it helps to flash them at intersections, etc. But to use that function now requires running with the low beam. Would it be an easy bit of wiring at the handlebar or ? Perhaps this is a dumb idea, but I kinda like ridicule and derision, (NOT).

GunnerJ

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure some will not agree "But" most states it's illegal to run with high beams. Not a big deal. The real danger, and I am speaking from experience, use that flash button only when passing. Reason is many times a cager will see you flash and take that to mean, go ahead. and what you have said is ,"please pull out in front of me" Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I use it at intersections when there's a car waiting to turn left. But instead of flashing quickly, I flash and hold for a couple seconds, let go, repeat and perhaps a third time if time allows. It's somewhere in between flashing and doing nothing. I think it gets their attention, but doesn't send a signal for them to go. At least in my mind it does. I have never had anyone turn in front of me yet using this technique.

It's just that that is the number one MC / cage accident, cars turning left in front of the MC. I feel compelled to do SOMETHING. Just hoping they see you is too passive. At least if they see you flash, they have seen you and will adjust their turn according.

But that may be different in other parts of the world or even the country. So use your discretion.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Gunner, try pushing the starter button while on HIGH beam. Just do not push it and pull a brake lever at the same time or your starter will run. The starter does have a clutch on it so IF it does run it will freewheel with the engine speed so not too much of a biggie. The 04 up have a headlight disconnect while cranking built into the starter button. 02-03 headlights dim while cranking, not so good of a thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gunner, try pushing the starter button while on HIGH beam. Just do not push it and pull a brake lever at the same time or your starter will run. The starter does have a clutch on it so IF it does run it will freewheel with the engine speed so not too much of a biggie. The 04 up have a headlight disconnect while cranking built into the starter button. 02-03 headlights dim while cranking, not so good of a thing.

Thanks for the tip Dave. I'm going to give this a try tonight. Like Gunner I run on high beams all the time as recommended here in Cali but could never use my flasher without having to switch back to low beam first.

How long should I hold the starter button while perfoming this function?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try Daves trick tomorrow. The only downside is that I've almost got my fingers trained, And now a new motion to implant on my quickly failing brain cells LOL.

On another note: I will be going to Clarksville, TN in a couple of weeks and will be going by way of Branson to Poplar Bluff, MO (HWY 60). This looks like heaven to a Kansan. Anybody have other recommendations, especiallly around the Land Between The Lakes area?
GunnerJ

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'll try Daves trick tomorrow. The only downside is that I've almost got my fingers trained, And now a new motion to implant on my quickly failing brain cells LOL.

On another note: I will be going to Clarksville, TN in a couple of weeks and will be going by way of Branson to Poplar Bluff, MO (HWY 60). This looks like heaven to a Kansan. Anybody have other recommendations, especiallly around the Land Between The Lakes area?
GunnerJ
Gunner, don't route yourself through Branson itself. The traffic in Branson is terrible. Otherwise, I grew up in that area (the first county west of Branson) and the roads are great. You are going to love it. US 160 across MO from Branson going east to West Plains is the best road I know of for motorcycles in that part of MO. Or you can drop down into Arkansas and take US412 across Arkansas to the Mississippi River (there is a bridge there with little traffic).

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think it's wrong to run on high beams ( the the Burgman 650s are very bright ) as it drowns turn signals and in some areas illegal.

It also takes a away a big alert and that is the switch up to highs....If I even think someone is not paying attention it's highs and horn - that's usually enough.
Leaving it on high , you are just one more bright light and of course switching down to lows makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Cant believe anyone would be so inconsiderate as to ride into on coming traffic
with high beams on, it's even harder to believe that no one retaliates,
you either have some very understanding drivers or your headlights are
adjusted so low they think you are on dip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clarification.
I was. and am referring to daytime riding. I don't think I have ever ridden past dusk. I ride recreationally, no commuting. I assumed (always a big mistake) that would be understood. The high beams are not blinding in that situation, but do increase head-on visibility. I just want to be SEEN.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with Ralph M on the bright light thing, I would think in this day and times of road rage, I would try to comply with the laws and not PO other drivers. Being seen is very important, but wearing correct clothing, (day-glow color products) is probably one of the most important things you can do, plus riding under control for the road conditions ahead. Dealing with some redneck with a couple of beers under his belt may not be what you want to deal with.

John

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
clarification.
I was. and am referring to daytime riding. I don't think I have ever ridden past dusk. I ride recreationally, no commuting. I assumed (always a big mistake) that would be understood. The high beams are not blinding in that situation, but do increase head-on visibility. I just want to be SEEN.
I was under the impression you ment at night, but am still doubtful about high
beam, the only thing I have come across that as any noticeable effect at least
here in the UK are the high vis gayglow green jackets or bibs, they do make a
noticeable difference, never crossed my mind that anyone would not ride at night.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree with the sentiments being posted. For a few years I rode with high beams on in daytime. Pis.ed a lot of drivers off. But when I got the burg with that wonderful Flash button, I changed to utilize this new found safety device.

After years on the burg now, I love the feature and use it practically every day. You can use your own judgement on WHEN you want someone to see you. When I perceive a threat, like MacDoc said, on come the flashers and horn. It's quite convenient they're located on the same hand, just squeeze both at the same time.

Also, I lead a ride a week ago and a buddy riding my 650 had the high beams on. They are REALLY bright... I was target fixating on them. Even though it was in my mirrors, my eye was drawn to it. I finally had to pull around and asked him to turn them off. It was so distracting.

It's one thing to be noticed, its another to be target fixated upon. I don't think you want the cagers doing that either.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
clarification.
They do not increase your visibility as they do not change.
They still are blinding.
They mask your turn signals.

I ride a lot at night - the Burgman 650 lights are the best I've had.
If I leave them on by accident in the daytime I get flashed all the time to drop them down.

Leave you headlights on low and use the flash button to flip them up and hold them up when appropriate....THAT improves your visibility.

You may be getting confused with the real statistic that lights on in the daytime reduces accidents and that is very true.

In Ontario it started with motorcycles and accidents reduced.
The reduction was so marked that it was then mandated that all new vehicles have daytime headlights wired in....they are on all the time the car is in motion.....bikes too.

What makes a bike stand out is not steady on high beams but either modulated lights OR moving from low beam to high.
That's where your attention grabbing aspect comes in.
Some even weave to catch attention.

In my view running with high beams in the daytime is inconsiderate, obscures your turn signals and in some cases is illegal.

Buddy I ride with was always mad at me if I didn't turn the high beams down when he was leading ( daytime riding ). The bloody things are bright.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I agree with MacDoc. High beams are annoying even in the daytime.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Especially the 650s - lovely at night, brutal in the daytime on other drivers.
Nicely brutal at night on drivers that don't dip theirs.....it's right quick when you light them up ...they get the message brilliantly :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used the starter button trick a number of times.... and as long as you hold the starter button in , it does disconnect the headlights... you can use it to flash in morse code, if you want.... no harm if the brakes are not engaged...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had a low beam out on the 400 once, so I switched on the high-beam coming home at night. I remember thinking, "boy they sure have those signs on the freeway overpass lit up well". Then I hit a dip in the roadway and it made the light flicker. Holy Cr.ap, I was lighting up the freeway signs way overhead.

The brights on these bikes are brutal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I give up!!! final word: I have never been flashed when riding with brights on, but maybe my weight keeps them aimed lower than most. :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts