Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apologies if this has been discussed before - but I did a search first, Anyway:
I have a 2011 AN400 and the manual shows a bolt that you remove and replace with an oil pressure guage for workshop testing. Has anyone tried replacing the bung with an oil pressure switch? I'd like a warning light if the pressure drops too low. I'll cope if the oil pressure light comes on at idle (I understand that at low revs the pressure can be quite low and that's OK) but at least it will give me warning if there's a problem while riding. The engine is kind of expensive and this strikes me as a very low cost insurance option.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi biggles, no not tried that. Probably not a good idea though. With roller and ball bearings throughout the bottom end, the later bikes only run on 15-16psi so it's a fairly pointless exercise. Most oil pressure switches need a bit more than that to operate effectively and are more conducive with plain bearing engine designs that operate with much higher pressures. Not saying you can't do it of course but probably not worth it. Not heard of oil pump failure on one of these (although it must have happened sometime to someone) and that's about the main way the 400 might have a lube problem. Unlike plain bearing engines where oil pressure is critical, the 400 is much less likely to have a lubrication problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi biggles, no not tried that. Probably not a good idea though. With roller and ball bearings throughout the bottom end, the later bikes only run on 15-16psi so it's a fairly pointless exercise. Most oil pressure switches need a bit more than that to operate effectively and are more conducive with plain bearing engine designs that operate with much higher pressures. Not saying you can't do it of course but probably not worth it. Not heard of oil pump failure on one of these (although it must have happened sometime to someone) and that's about the main way the 400 might have a lube problem. Unlike plain bearing engines where oil pressure is critical, the 400 is much less likely to have a lubrication problem.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I just have to remember to check the oil level regularly.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Isn't the opening to attach the oil pressure gauge on the bottom of the engine? I would think that with only about four inches of clearance that attaching anything down there while riding would be risky at best.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
FWIW, Ford's oil pressure switches used on the '99 to '04 Mustang V8s switch (contacts close) at 6 psi--however the o/p spec for the '07+ 400s is 4.3 to 15.6 psi @ 3000 rpm.

Just for reference, the spec for the pre-'07 400s is 11 to 23 psi @ 3000 rpm.

You could monitor the oil temperature from that port, the oil temp will climb noticeably if the engine is low on oil...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've killed my Burgman 400 K2 engine twice such way.
First time when oil pump has failed and it's very hard to detect as engine temperature is OK per dash.
Second time was when 1 of 3 bolts from oil filter cap cracked and oil drained from engine. Even when you have 300 ml out of 1.9 liter in system you cannot detect it with dash / sound / power. (unfortunately)

·
Registered
828 Posts
When i overhauled my engine i managed to run the engine without camshaft cover, just to make sure the oil pump is working, so when i started the engine it didn't reach 10 firing stokes due to the oil mess i had with a blink of an eye! so i quickly hit the kill switch.
after putting everything back i looked to the oil window to check it's level, at first it seems to be full but due the mess i had i managed to lean the bike to the left side so i can see the oil level getting down but it didn't, then i leaned the bike to the right side and then i saw the oil coming up from the bottom, so i added oil and guess what!! it took 3/4L of oil, then i realized that this bike has a powerful oil pump that maybe can circulate the whole oil capacity in less than 25 firing strokes.

·
Registered
709 Posts
An oil gauge might be better than an oil pressure light. I don't know the pressures though so it might not be do-able. You may need a low pressure gauge which might not be available but the readings would be more advantageous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts