Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys, I finally did it! Never thought I would, but my trip to Olympic National Park from Seattle, WA got me my first 60 mpg! Traveled 126.9 miles and filled up with 2.115 gallons of gas. Divide that and its around 60.03 mpg.

I normally average about 48-55 mpg. I get 48 in town and 55 on the freeway. But since this trip was almost all freeway, I definitely got better gas mileage. Let me share a couple of tips on how to get better gas mileage for your Burgman.

1. When riding, your maximum gas mileage is between 5000-6500 RPM's with stock rollers (not DR. Pulleys). Keep your speed a constant 50-65 MPH. This is what I used during my trip. I tried my best to keep my speeds no less than 50 MPH and no more than 65 MPH. This is the BEST speed for MPG.

2. Accelerate gently and brake gently and early. This is easy on your engine, CVT belt, and brake pads. Your engine, brake pads, and CVT belt will last longer. I had a friend who's 125cc Sym scooter belt broke at 4298 miles before the manufacturer's recommended 5000 mile CVT replacement interval because he was extremely hard on accelerating.

3. Also, check your engine oil level using the dipstick if your model is a 2003-2006 model. They are rumored to consume engine oil at high speeds. I checked mine and the oil level was fine because I didn't go more than 65 mph.

I've noticed my MPG drops dramatically in-city riding, and also drops dramatically going faster than 65 MPH. My lowest record on gas mileage was a 43 mpg when all I did was in-town, stop and go riding. My gas mileage is very good when I'm on the freeway cruising at a consistent speed of 60 MPH.

Well? What are you guys waiting for? Go get that 60 MPG if you haven't already! ;)

Sincerely,
Kevin in Seattle, WA

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I switched to Shell Rotella T6 oil in my 650 and noted a 2 mpg fuel consumption improvement. So I tried in in my Hyundai Elantra and Subaru Outback -- also saw 2 mpg improvement, easily enough to pay for the higher oil cost.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
See kxj5906, this is when it REALLY helps to fill out your profile. I had NO idea what bike you are talking about, could have been a Goldwing for all I knew. You put it in General Discussions, so no clue from the posting category.

At first I thought a late model 400, but then you were excited about 60 mpg, which is not great for that bike. Then you said you average 48-55, and I thought, "okay those are 650 numbers, 60 mpg is really good". But then you said something about 6k rpm at 60 mph and rollers, well that's 400 talk there. What's he talking about?

I'm still not sure what the heck bike this pertains to. I'm guessing an early model burgman 400. But no idea of efi or not. That would make a difference in this story.

I've been hypermilling my 400 of late and getting 62mpg combined. I'm sure I could get to 70 mpg on a nice, long slow slog riding as you described, but I don't think I've got the patience to go at that pace. I've had a 250, hence the reason I bought a 400. Seems somewhat backwards riding as fast as my old bike.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The best I can get on my 400 is about 54 mpg.
I could see that if all you do is a lot of stop and go or, 75mph. Either can eat in to gas mileage. I just finished a 1700 mile trip all over Colorado, crossing many mountains along the way. Speeds were typically 60-70mph and the bike loved it. Over the entire trip it averaged over 68mpg indicated (so, likely 70+ true). The worse I got was mid 50's on a day of constant, heavy winds. The best was a tank which got 73 indicated.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Awesome mileage there maniac. Most of my riding is stop and go. I'll have to check it after my next highway ride.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, should have made a profile. I own a 2004 AN 400. It's been treating me well, and I've been treating it well too.

At kwajman,

Yes, stop-n-go riding ABSOLUTELY wrecks gas mileage. I had a trip where I did no more than 2 miles each day in the city, and my record low gas mileage was a measly 43 mpg. You'll also have to change out the oil more frequently, as the water and condensation in the oil does not get hot enough to evaporate.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I get a constant 70-75 on my 03 400. I've got the 19gram Dr. Pully's in it. Gets to 75-80 indicated at 6,000 rpm. 55 at 4,000. Love how it handles now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My experience with gas mileage has been it depends on the terrain, speed and wind direction. I've gotten anywhere from 49 mpg to a high of 63 mpg with my 09 650.
The 63 mpg was on a 130 mile portion of a trip running at 60 mph with a tail wind, floored me that I got that good mileage, my buddy Ken ( 06 650) was leading and he got 65mpg. Stunned him as well as usually we average in the low to mid 50mpg range.
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts