Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First fill-up at 179 miles with 2.601 gallons - 68.82 MPG. The MPG gauge said 72.4 MPG. Did the fill-up on the center stand on a level area.

Obviously still in break-in miles but have been following my own drill. The milage has been a mix of lower speed (25-50s MPH) and some gradual higher acceleration to the upper 60s - all with lots of throttle variation and back-off, excluding WOT at any speed.

In my long ago misspent youth I used to do a bit of hot rodding with balanced and blueprinted car engines (a B&B engine is an important distinction - they weren't the sloppy tolerances of the regular car engine) and that is how you did break-in. A scooter engine is not a car engine but some principles apply to all new internal combustion engines (at least I hope so).

I consulted with several highly experienced scooter mechanics/riders (being especially motivated after seeing the Burg's OM RPM recommendations which are idiotic) and they uniformly agreed that the drill was what they did with their new rides.

Noticed one less than optimum feature compared to my Silver Wing - the fuel throat on an '12 SW has a bar across the bottom of the throat so you just stick the nozzle in and wait for the auto shutoff.

The B200 throat is fully open and the fuel nozzle goes way too deep and shuts off before you're close to being a full tank. Had to actually look at the fuel level with a flashlight to fill it to just below the throat bottom - bit of a nuisance.

Added a dab of neon yellow paint to the triangle indicator on the fuel cap - makes it easier to see in dimmer lighting conditions. I pretty happy with MPG number - expect it to improve with miles and elimination of the throttle variation drill. Ride safe. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've never gotten over 60mpg on my 400, I would expect better mileage on a 200. How do you like the fit? What body style are you and does the bike match up well? We haven't had a lot of feedback from the 200 owners.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've never gotten over 60mpg on my 400, I would expect better mileage on a 200. How do you like the fit? What body style are you and does the bike match up well? We haven't had a lot of feedback from the 200 owners.

MPG - it's way too early to make an accurate assessment of it based on my prior new scooter experiences, which included an '09 SYM Mio, '09 Piaggio MP3 400 & a '12 Silver Wing. It has been my experience that MPG routinely improves after the engine is broken-in.

Also - especially bear in mind that I'm doing a huge amount of throttle variations at all speeds and that has a significant impact on MPG. Normal steady state fuel consumption at particular speeds will be notably different (e.g. - higher) than the drill I'm doing for the 1st 600 miles.

I'm actually quite pleased at the upper 60s MPG on the 1st tank and expect to easily hit somewhere in the 70s once it has a few K miles on it.

STATS/FIT - In my boots, I'm 5' 10" (5' 8.5" barefoot) and weigh 184#; fully geared up - the scoot is hauling about 210# for me. The general fit is excellent except for the seat bump. Its just a tad too close for me - I've started another thread herein where I'm going to do a seat mod to fix it.

I may change the foam density a bit and level the plane in the rider seat area with a front uptick. Currently the seat is okay and allows easy flat footing but I'd like to get my knees and butt on the same plane.

Currently my butt is just a bit lower than my knees. It's easier on the back/tail bone areas (in my experience) if they are on the same plane. I've got a bad back from some old injuries so I pay a lot of attention to the issue.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the ergonomics as is - but as I plan to keep this scooter for hopefully a long time - I'm gonna get it dead on perfect for me. So far - I absolutely love this scooter!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's part of the fun of owning a scooter, you get to change it to exactly what you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
MPG Update

This is an update after my 3rd fill-up:

Gallons - 7.243; Miles - 542; MPG - 74.83; MPG Gauge - 74.9

Getting the break-in service done later today after putting a few miles on it. Now comes the fun part of checking out performance parameters. :D

Really happy (and somewhat surprised at this early stage) with the MPG and expect it may even improve a bit from the current numbers with a few K more miles.

·
Registered
345 Posts
So on average, it's taking 2.4 gals per fillup.
Specs show a 2.8 US - Including Reserve - tank capacity.
Where is the pointer at on the fuel gauge when you typically decide to stop for gas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Burgman 200 has a digital gauge with 5 "bars" so it is rather course in readout.
The math yields 1/2 gal per bar. We've not taken the tank down below 2 bars in our riding. This winter we are filling at the end of each ride to minimize the empty volume so as to reduce water condensation. Next Spring we will evaluate MPG after the engine has completed break-in. At 400 miles right now and still riding on the warmer winter days. Merry Christmas to All.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So on average, it's taking 2.4 gals per fillup.
Specs show a 2.8 US - Including Reserve - tank capacity.
Where is the pointer at on the fuel gauge when you typically decide to stop for gas?
jedd: I've been running it down to the last block (each block - .56 gallons) and then watching the Burg's lowest fuel level alert which kicks in at 1.5 liters (.396 gallons). There is no pointer as such as ExTex noted. Winter time I always use StaBil in every tank.

At the .396 gal level one should have a comfortable 23 plus miles to zero (using a conservative 60 MPG safety point). I try to stay within 15 miles of a gas station just to be cautious. My average fuel remaining over three tanks has been .3867 gallons.

The gauge has two blinking alert levels - at 3 liters (.792 gal) & the 1.5 L level.
Obviously fuel usage is a function of both distance & speed. Just had my 600 service so I'm going to switch to checking out performance and expect MPG to drop accordingly. I'll also try to do some consistent & conservative riding via the ECO light to see if it really makes much difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts