Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: The first service appears to be an oil/filter change and to check the valve clearance and adjust if necessary. I am curious about the results folks have experienced when measuring the valve tappet clearance and whether it was on the money or if it was necessary to adjust it. This applies to both the 400 & 650 even though I realize the results for one engine may not apply to the other engine. For the sake of clarity I own the AN400 (1 week).

Howard

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Howard, my experience with my 400 and those of three of my friends are that there is No Change of the Exhaust valves, but some tightening of the intake valves at the 600 mile mark, but it is usually within tolerence...about .003 in...which is the minimum. Two of the 400's were not done till about 4000-6000 miles and were still about .002-003in.

At 12000 on one, and at 6000 on mine, the intake setting had not changed further. I don't plan on doing mine again till at least 12-16,000 miles.

I've read that some dealers claim that Suzuki says you can skip the 600 mile valve check, and some dealers have claimed to have done it and charged for it but it wasn't done. That was the case with two of my friends and from that point on we do our own work.

However, just for peace of mind, I would suggest that it be done within 600-1500 miles, then again about 6000 miles later. If that second check is still good, then you're set for a long time...whatever you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The 650 tappet inspection is not required untill 24,000 kms or 14,500 miles. I am currently in the process of doing this procedure myself but at 20,000 kms. It's winter here so thats why I'm doing it early. I don't want to waste any riding time in the spring. Also this way I can do it at my own pace. Will report on my findings upon completeion.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My 400's valves were done at 600 miles (1000 kms) and the intakes were slightly tight. I did check them again at the 6,000 kms service and both sets were OK. I will then stick to the 6,000 kms mark from now on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts