Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressions of my first run at the 650 service (at 550 miles). Forum info was invaluable. Decided to remove the left side tupperware for practice and fill oil through the proper ports. I can see that it would be easier to use the level indicator posts to fill.
Disconnected the tupper... at all attachment points I could find and began to wiggle the sections loose. Would't really come apart but while playing with the front section, the entire middle and rear sections just fell off. Cool. It's hard to imagine the tabs and clips without seeing how they go together. "Gentle is good" I read somewhere here; it's true. I never could get the very front attachment point loose cause I couldn't see how it attached and didn't want to force it. So I left the whole side hanging there. I placed all the screws, bolts, plastic pieces in order so I could remember where they went.
As far as the fluid change, no major problems other than spraying oil all over the garage by leaving the fill cap off during warm up. Yes, I know. Bloody mess but got it cleaned up. Oil filter was on real tight; too tight as I remember from other vehicles. Transmission drain bolt was scary loose. Filling that with a 60cc syringe and plastic tubing was perfect cause its way up in there. Rear drive was the easiest cause it's right there. No trouble with the fill and drain bolts being prone to stripping.
Torque values are confusing and seem to change a bit model year to year. The owners manual gives none; it says "tighten" them. Had to pull info from the forum.
For assembly, being able to see the tabs made attaching tupper... easy. Kind of just snapped together. No leaks, nothing broken and no extra parts after I finished. Thanks to all the posters for all the great info, especially the tutorials. Great stuff. Took me 4 hours with clean-up. Next time half as long.
Cheers,
huico

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Congratulations huico, well done.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gentle is good is as it should be. Not a job for someone who wants to rush through it. That's why I do my own instead of letting the dealer do it. I also think the levels are critical ... can over or under fill very easily.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I read your title and thought you were doing your first service at 13,650 miles. Yikes! :rolleyes:

Glad your first service went well.

If you decide to remove the tupperware for servicing, this makes the oil fill a lot easier. (copied from an earlier post)

I found this filler at WalMart a couple years ago for about $5. It mates up perfectly with the transmission filler opening, with the lip sealing around the edge while the narrow tube part goes into the opening about 1 inch. It even has measuring lines on the cup so you can add 12 oz or whatever it takes. I found that when I put in the recommended amount, it still doesn't come out of the overflow hole until I put in maybe 1oz more. Some sticks to the cup and tube, I guess.

Report this image

Report this image

Report this image
The tip fits in the fill opening perfectly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I used one of those for the final gear oil. Great device. I didn't think it would work on the tranny because of the seal but will try it next time. The tubing is flexible and kinda feeds down into the fill hole.

Trying to put together a quick ride to Brice and Arches in South Utah. Not too many Burgs here in SF, just a small scoot club.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm doing the 7500 mile service this weekend. Although the maintenance chart indicates the spark plugs need to be changed, they are staying put until it's time to adjust the valves. The other items listed on the chart I will do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
With todays unleaded fuels, there in no need whatsoever to change plugs so soon. I would do it at maybe 50,000 miles or so, if it runs well. The fuel injection cleaner that I use occasionally keeps spark plugs clean too.

Sam:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts