Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy I am posting this for my wife,after sitting behind me for many years on my GoldWing my wife is interested in her own ride.She does not want a traditional motorcycle so we have been lookin at the bigger scooters so that when she is ready she can keep up with my Wing on trips.We have looked at Aprilia,Suzuki and Honda,she likes all the scooters that these companies make but for the price and how she fits the bike she likes the Burgman 400 the best,she is verticly challenged and the Aprilia is to tall and the Honda to much $$$. Is there any major problems anyone has with Suzuki scooters both reliabilty wise and maintenance? Is the 400 a good choice for light duty touring 200-300 mile highway trips or does it strain itself or the rider? Also the linked brake system with a single front disc,does the right lever operate different pistons on the caliper compared to the left levers operation of both front and rear?
Thank you much for your input .
Dan

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
First of welcome to the board. I think she made an excellent choice in the 400 Burgman. I own the 650 but rode the 400 at a Suzuki Demo ride. It will suit her needs extremely well . She won't have any problem keeping up to your Wing at posted limits with room to spare. There are no major mechanical complaints in regards to the 400 that I know off. However the windscreen size seems to be a gripe no matter what size Burgman you get.

·
Registered
194 Posts
burgman 400

Welcome to the forum, as a new lady rider myself, I LOVE my burgman...I am only 5'2 and i can handle it fine.......being sooooooo short , the windshield is ok for me as well.....Are you from NH by any chance? :wink: :) I wish I could find others to ride, been heading to the lakes region every weekend the weather will permit........but it would be nice to have others too :) Diana

·
Registered
605 Posts
400 or 650?

Well then,

After owning my 400 for 3 months I think I can vouch for it. I love the thing and I currently own 6 bikes and whenever I enter the shed, the 400 gets the nod for my daily ride. I even took my car off the road for the next 5 months to save a few bucks. The thing is cheap on gas (68 mpg on imperial gals), inexpensive to insure and very manuverable in the city. The hiway travel is good but not perfect since the motor is working or shall I say busy at 100-120 kph. I rode tested the 650 and found it too big for my purposes, not to say I won't want to have one of these as well for my camping and rally rides.

I think if your wife got the 400, she would get to love it as well. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride.

·
Registered
320 Posts
400 good for the vertically challenged

Dan, Welcome! I can second Tweety's comments. I'm 5'1" and can touch the ground whilst seated on the 400 with the balls of my boots (toes up to the balls of the feet). It doesn't feel too big, whereas the 650 would have as a starting bike (and I'd have needed to buy thicker-soled boots).

Hope this helps...best of luck to you and your wife!

Bryna

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your input,I talked to the salesman today and they have a new Blue 400 still crated that they will put together for my wife,we will pick it up Thursday night and I will need to ride it home as she does not yet have her temp permit.She is really excited about this and I hope this is a positive experiance for her as she never really loved motorcycles even though i have rode before we were married 18 years ago.She is a RN and always thought of Motorcyclist as Donorcyclist with organ transplants but after a few toy runs and bike nights and seeing me and our 11 year old son take little day trips she felt left out and wants to be part of the action so I am also looking forward to the new Scoot in our family and from this point on she will be doing the talking on this forum,Again thanks all.

Dan

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You may want to think about a MSF course for the wife it is a great confidence builder, and in most states you can my pass any state testing.
I also own a 400 and it should do just fine.
8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.