Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BOOOOO YAAH!! :D At last, Mike and I picked up our new Burgman 400s today. It was 41 miles from the dealership to our house, via back roads (and with one detour to show the new toys off to my parents).

As the entirety of my experience riding 2-wheelers, up until today, was pottering around last year on a 1996 Honda Elite 80, I haven't a vast collection of memories to draw upon for comparison. However, here are my first impressions anyway, in hopes they will help someone. 'Tis only fair, as this Forum has been unbelievably helpful to me.

Just FYI, I am a 41-year-old woman, 5' 7" tall, weighing 145 lbs, with a 30-inch inseam.

:arrow: Acceleration: Magnificently smooth! Having never so much as ridden the 400 around the parking lot, I had to pull across 4 lanes of traffic to catch a side road I wanted. I was nervous as hell, but the 400's acceleration was perfect. Plenty of power, but delivered so smoothly that my fears of being "run away from" were completely unfounded. (Hey, who knew that going from 80 CCs to 385 would be this easy?)

:arrow: Handling: Excellent. No more troublesome to maneuver than what I was used to from my Elite. Yes, one notices that the Burgman 400 weighs 125 pounds more than the Elite, but the Burgman's center of gravity is so low that the size difference is no big deal. The "feel" around corners and curves is substantially the same as on the Elite.

:arrow: Ride: Sweet. Sure, I was buffeted around some when I wound up in the slipstream of a boxy old Plymouth minivan, but I was expecting stuff like that. It was no big deal. The machine was sure-footed over bumps and nimble avoiding potholes. I'd never driven more than 35 MPH on 2 wheels before today, but the Burgman's ride was so good that it was easy to step out. I had been *prepared* to be afraid of going that fast ... and just wasn't.

:arrow: Windshield: Inadequate. We both agree with the general opinion of this Forum's members -- the stock windscreen is unimpressive, and we're going to invest in either GIVIs or Laminar Lips without delay. I'm accustomed to having no help at all from a windscreen, as the Elite effectively has none, and all last year I rode with no face shield. At 35 MPH, which is about the Elite's top speed, one can cope if the weather isn't too cold and the ride isn't too long. However, at 45 MPH on a cloudy 50-degree day like today, that wind HURTS after 20 miles, even with my new helmet and face shield. Moreover, tonight I have sore neck muscles from fighting the buffeting. I'll probably go for the GIVI, to get some wind protection for my hands, too.

:arrow: Seat: The jury is split on this one. I thought the seat's comfort was adequate, but Mike now knows what is meant by the term "butt burn." He claims his rear end was numb by the time we got home. Perhaps a gel pad is in order.

:arrow: Leg room: Again, split decision. With the "bum stop" set all the way back, I was still reasonably comfortable after an hour in the saddle. With his "bum stop" set all the way back, Mike (5' 11", 230 Lbs, 31" inseam) felt a bit cramped after an hour. He's probably going to try removing the stop and testing out how he feels without it.

Those are the major points out of the jumble of thoughts and impressions we are still sorting through after today's experience. In short, we are both AMAZED by how beautifully this machine drives. "Twist and go" isn't just a figure of speech here, it's the truth. The Burgman 400 is as comfortable pottering through little villages at 25 miles per hour as it is blowing down the straight-aways at 65 (yep, went over 4,000 RPM that time). It was like the machine could read my mind.

If I had to pick one word to describe my new Burgman 400, it would be this one: Smooth.

Hooo whee, I think I'm in love!

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Glad you got them.

Too windy here to ride comfortably. I"m 6'2" and know about the butt stop, but I took care of that, and yes Gel Pads Do work.

Have fun and be safe

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If he removes the butt rest, he may find the seat more comfortable. I tend to push my butt against it and the pressure makes my butt go numb. Good luck with your new bikes.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thats fantastic. Glad to hear that you finally got your new machines and that the first ride home was a good experience. I think it will probably even get better from here as you get familiar and comfortable with the machine and lose all paranoias (sp?)
So when you 2 going to ride up and we can tour through Algonquin?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a cool prospect, Allan. But first a motorcycle rider safety course, and then practice, practice, practice!

We'll definitely let you know if we decide to take our Burgers this September, when we're heading to Algonquin for 2 weeks. It would be fun to meet up for a day of riding.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Seat Sore

For those who complain about the seat...maybe its time someone invented painkillers for the human butt. I don't think any amount of alteration to the 400's seat will do any better. Its quite wide, therefore hopefully spreads the load over a wide area just like your lazy chair at home. Actually it is one of the first things that I boast about when asked about the 400s features.

I can get just about any fat assed person on the passenger end because its so big. Try one of those "rice" rocket seats and maybe it'll put things in perspective. I can just about sit and imagine myself watching a session of "reality" TV and it may as well be my living room couch. Just some of my silly thoughts. Excuse me. Timothy

·
Registered
5 Posts
reply to ChrisLucey

To ChrisLucey....Be a woman Chris....you grabbed a lot more than 4k on the tach to get to 65, c'mon admit it, .... maybe a brief excursion to around 5500??....h'mmm. Perhaps it's me and I own the slowest AN400 in the world, but 4k on mine nets 39mph so far during break-in. Twist and go! from there though, and yes for a smallish one-lunger it's incredibly smooth. At 5'8" and 29.5 inseam my seat is a great ride, even at a chubbo 220 lbs my 40 mile one- way commute is made in high comfort! (Did I say chubbo? It's all muscle of course!) Seriously, my arthritic hips feel just as good as if I had travelled the distance in my Mercury luxo boat .... almost. 62mpg on 1st tank varying speeds a lot, similar data on second tank. Front end could be damped better to combat pot holes, but rear suspension is super. A bit nippers in the mornings, esp on the fingertips but I'm lovin it. welcome to the road Chris. lmk

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, LMK! Oh, sure, I've had it above 4,000 RPMs. I freely admit it ... Gee, hope you don't work for Suzuki or anything -- I'd hate to have my warranty voided already!

Nah, your Burg sounds like it's geared the same as mine. 4,000 RPMs get you between 35 and 40 MPH, depending on whether you're going uphill or not. I'm very fortunate -- I live in a rural area where it's quite easy to find back roads where 40 miles per hour is a good clip. That gives me plenty of time to practice at lower speeds, which Suzuki and my mother approve of. However, I am looking forward to the chance, perhaps this weekend, to try some more "main" roads & watch that tachometer move. The wise heads in this forum suggest that 4,000 RPMs is just to satisfy Suzuki's lawyers, and that you get better performance in the long run if you run it higher than that during break-in. Helps various parts settle in better, they say.

The ride is sweet, isn't it? It happens I have arthritis in one hip myself, and the Burgman doesn't bother bother it at all. This is VERY unlike my little Honda Elite, which would leave me limping if I rode it too long.

BTW, there is information scattered around this site about acquiring and installing fairings to help keep your hands warmer. If I tumble across some of it, I'll post links here for you.

Best, Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts