Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2011 ride with only 5500 miles has started the rear wheel noise problem. :x The one where your wheel makes a rough sound when spinning it on the center stand not running. This is caused from the needle bearing in the backside of the drive pulley not be lubed well enough. I have already been into it to install the DR Sliders and removed the entire clutch drive cluster and no noise when the wheel turns. So you guys might want to keep an ear to your rear wheel when your not under power, mine is very noticeable just rolling it out of the garage.

Eric

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
so you lubed the needle bearings and fixed it? great , any pics? details? this could be a start of the bkb for the 2011 model

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I had attributed that on my '03 400 to old, bled out, deteriorated grease--and to some extent the generally poor quality of the lubricants used on imported products.

That yours, a 2011 model year with only 5500 miles suffered this problem pretty much rules out the "old" part of my argument. I replaced the roller bearing on mine, lubed with a smallish amount of Green Grease, and it has been fine for over 12k miles...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mikeyMarine said:
so you lubed the needle bearings and fixed it? great , any pics? details? this could be a start of the bkb for the 2011 model
Sorry no pics or fix yet, I did grease it but to late I guess no change. I have a new bearing on order will update when installed.

Eric

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The grease in the roller cage is likely hardened up, it could be ultrasonically cleaned however it would have to come out to do so--and a new bearing is cheap enough...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I knew I had a photo of the bearing someplace, this is not mine however it is very similar to the way mine looked at 12.5k miles:

You can see the caked up grease in the shaft cavity, and contaminated grease in the roller bearing, because the seal failed (my seal was not this badly worn). Also visible is that the ball bearing on the outboard end is relatively dry.

I scraped out the hardened glob of grease, however did not pack the cavity to the same extent on reassembly. I did lube the roller bearing and place a "bevel" of grease about its innermost wall, and also packed the ball bearing--as I said that was 12k miles ago. I did place a small bit of new grease on the two bearings when the Adige clutch went in 3k miles or so ago.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I installed the new bearing today and now it sounds a lot better. My Son was in the driveway the other day when I rode in and I stopped beside him and he asked what that noise was, it was very noticeable.
My new bearing was very limited on grease, you could shake it and hear the rollers rattle. So I packed it as well as I could kinda hard with a needle bearing.

I also took the time to clean and sand the clutch shoes a bit and now I don't have the chirp when it engages. Maybe it will be smooth for a few hundred miles if I am lucky.
I had an older 2001 Honda Helix rode it and parked it wet and NEVER had a clutch noise or bearing problem or anything else for that matter, I don't understand why Honda doesn't allow the US to have the 400 Scoot.
I like my Suzuki just seems like it has a few weak points that it shouldn't.

Eric

·
Registered
728 Posts
The Silverwing is available in the States ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meadeball said:
The Silverwing is available in the States ...
Yes it is but not in the 400cc version that Honda makes for other countries.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts