Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me welcome all members of this wonderful place !!! :eek:ccasion5:

I'm total newbie not only in Burgman, or scooters .. but motorcycles in general. I discovered huge interest towards riding some few month ago and since that time was analyzing, reading, thinking and sloooowly moving towards implementation of my new passion.
The next step for me would be, of course, taking MSF course, but anyway, I found that idea of maxi scooter, and burgman in particular, seems very interesting to me.
Few weeks ago I occasionally had chance to sit on Silverwing, as well as few other bikes for a while which led me to analyzing how I feel on that thing.
I liked overall feeling of being on scooter pretty much with only one concern: while sitting on the other bikes, I was able to "grab" the tank by legs, which kind of increased feeling of confidence.. although I have no idea what actual riding feels like (yet), and I'm somewhat speculating here, I can see where holding the tank in leans may actually help.
Now, on scooters - there is nothing to grab, which makes me to feel less confident on that thing.. almost like there's something missing there..

I would really appreciate if all the experienced scooter riders share their impressions on difference in experience between scooter and regular bike in this matter.

Thanks in advance!
-Mo

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Mo. Glad to have you join us.

The first time I sat on a Burgman I thought the same thing. Once I started riding the 400, I quickly forgot about the 'missing' tank and began enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
One difference betwn the scoot and cycle is with the scoot you have your feet forward so you can push your rear back into the butt rest for a tighter seat if you feel the need. Actually tho, you won't be doing that much..just not needed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
As a rider of a traditional mc and the Burgman, I never felt a need to lock my knees on something on the Burgman. Ted's post is right on point

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have been riding bikes for many years. I've let many newbies use my old honda 200 to learn on and take there test on.
My best bit of advice is...start out with something small. Get eh feel for riding a motorcycle first, then work your way up. Somehting in a scooter would be fine. I've seen people start out with very large lots of power bikes, and after having lots of problems, and failing the road test miserably, they lost interrest in bikes. All those who started out with small bikes, like my 200, had fun, felt confident and did good on the road test. Also, riding isn't for everybody. Start out with a used bike, low cost to you. If, after a season, you decide that motorcycling IS in your blood, then move up to whatever catches your eye next.Remember, if you buy a brand new bike, and find out biking isn't for you, you'll be out alot of $$ trying to sell it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I'm in the market for a burgman 400. As far as the tank thing goes, the very first time I was on a motorcycle was at an MSF course last Summer. The instructors kept yelling at me to hug my knees to the tank. I felt very uncomfortable doing this. First time I sat on the Burgman, I didn't even think about closing my legs on a tank. The position felt more natural and comfortable to me (like sitting in a two wheeled car).

So, I guess what I'm saying is...whatever feels better to you is probably the way you should go. Good luck and God Bless!

-Willy Mo

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Maestro, Welcome

Not a dumb question. I was riding dirt bikes 4 years before I rode anything on the road (leagley). I still on ocassion, after 35 years since i did any dirt riding, still keep looking for the tank, to help during agressive riding. It's just what you grow-up with I guess. Riding 2-up, my passinger (wife), keeps me from riding too agressive, so the tank thing is not an issue, for me.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've been switching back and forth between riding my motorcycle and a Burgman for the past year. I found that I overwhelmingly prefer the Burgman, and my motorcycle is currently up for sale. I actually prefer NOT having the tank, engine, etc between my legs. My thought is that if I were to crash, there is less chance of having a leg or ankle broken from having the bike pin my leg underneath it. Of course I seriously try to avoid crashing, but in 40 years of riding it has happened twice. I believe that overall, the scooter design is safer.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to the forums Maestro. I have always preferred riding scooters over motorcycles. I personally don't like the feeling of the tank in between my legs. I like the feet forward position of the scooters alot better also. I always feel more confident and in control on a scooter. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Maestro

Welcome to the forum

No such thing as a dumb question.

Know what you mean about having a tank between your legs - ain't that such a great way to crush your nuts. :shock:

·
Registered
728 Posts
NormanB said:
Hi Maestro

Welcome to the forum

No such thing as a dumb question.

Know what you mean about having a tank between your legs - ain't that such a great way to crush your nuts. :shock:
"NUTS, said the queen, if I had some....I'd be KING !!"

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yes I was assuming here. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
969 Posts
NormanB said:
Been there, done that. :shock: :oops:

Out of more than a dozen bikes in the last 35 years or so, this is only my second scooter, but my biggest bike ever, based on both physical size and engine cc's. I recall feeling a little vulnerable on the old Honda Aero 80, and I think that probably had something to do with not feeling like an integrated part of the machine. I much prefer wearing a seatbelt in a car, to not, for pretty much the same reason. I don't remember ever having that feeling on the Burger though. Might be a size + comfort kind of a thing. :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Maestro, welcome to the Forum. I think you'll enjoy riding bikes, no matter what you choose. There's nothing else quite like it.
Don't be overly concerned about the tank. In normal street riding you won't be using the tank to keep your balance or stay on the bike. In the MSF course the instructors like you to keep your knees into the tank (not squeezing it) so you're not riding with them angled outward and making it harder for you to balance the bike or having them acting like sails at speed.
Don

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not a lame question. To quote myself from a post some time back:

Wasquid said:
You ask about “some insights on the advantages/disadvantages“ between a scooter and a motorcycle. After putting over 10k miles on mine since June, there is only one thing about the general configuration of the scooter that I do not like; you can’t press against the tank with your outside knee when leaning through curves. This makes me feel disconnected, less “one with the machine.”

I'm not going list all the advantages of a scooter.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I started riding in the dirt in my twenties. I would squeeze the tank between my legs for better control back then. When first riding the burgman I notice my upper legs were a little sore. It finally came to me one day that when I was breaking with the burgman and there is no tank to hold onto, my legs were getting a workout why?. When you stop on the burgman your body is going forward and to help stop the forward movement I brace my legs against the platform that you feet rest on. I'm not sore anymore but the first few weeks I was. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like haveing my little hump. On long rides with few stops. I can cross my legs in the middle. Try doing that on motorcycle. This takes out a lot of the soreness in my legs. My wife thinks I'm crazy. But it makes it more comfortable to me. If I had a gas tank in the middle, I wouldn't be able to do this. 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everybody for such a warm welcome and huge response !
I really like this place :)

I guess I'll be able to get some more impressions on South Texas Motorcycle show I intent to visit in few weeks.. hopefully there'll be some Burgmans there :)

-Mo

·
Registered
125 Posts
No tank to hang on to

I've been riding 40+ years, the last 7 months on my 650. I've found that with no tank to "clamp" onto when I'm making an turn, I naturally apply pressure with whichever foot in the direction I'm going. On more agressive turns, I also counter-steer just like on the bikes.

I didn't really notice the difference until I saw your posting.

As with anything new - it just takes practice, practice, practice

Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts