Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual isn't accessible right now. I have a service manual. but it doesnt have the oil type in it. I'm about to do my first 600 mile oil change. What weight oil should I use? Synthetic or Regular? Model number of oil filter? Any tips or advice?

Have any of you done your own valve check? Tips for that as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hussein, my guess would be a 200cc burgman because this forum is for 399cc and below.
Nix I don't have a 200cc burgman so I'm not sure but my guess would be 10W40 or even 20W40 if you live in southern Texas. Although your profile doesn't say if you live if northern of southern Texas.
Hussein is correct questions are easier to answer it people know where you live and what you ride. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Burgman UH200A uses a different oil filter from the other Burgmans.
So, go to the dealer and have him order you one. That is about as cheap as paying mailing from a web site. Filter is $8 or a bit more.
10w40 motorcycle oil a bit less than 2 qts. I'd stay with regular oil since the change mileage is pretty short.

scoot safely,

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changed the oil, 1.4 liters exactly. My dealership didn't have an oil filter, but the service guy said it's not a big deal, change it next time. Now if I can only figure out how to get this pesky oil light to turn off. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
OP: Your service guy (IMO) is not too bright - you need to get the filter changed ASAP. The 1st change (with a new filter) dumps out the shavings of the metal parts on initial wear-in and you don't want to wait for the next scheduled change to get that junk out of your oil system.

I'm admittedly a fanatic on the subject - did my 1st oil/filter change at 175 miles and then the 600 mile full dealer service. I would royally blast a dealer service depart for accepting an oil service appointment and not having a filter on hand - it is incompetence and just plain stupid. You might think about finding another service department - I sure as h*** would. JMO

PS - your service tech should have done the oil light reset.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
As per Suzuki on 650 Burgie you can reuse Suzuki OEM filter up to 3 oil change. Do not know what oil change interval is on 200 and if spin-on, cartridge etc.

It always better to change oil filter @ each oil change if possible and as you know now always have xtra filter in your shop in case dealer not have stock. If dealer say it ok to change next time I would go with that this time.

Presently me have on shelf for 650 Burgie 11 x EMGO 10-55660 plus 1 new SUZUKI OEM filter that me use for comparison with other aftermarket oil filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As per Suzuki on 650 Burgie you can reuse Suzuki OEM filter up to 3 oil change. Do not know what oil change interval is on 200 and if spin-on, cartridge etc.

It always better to change oil filter @ each oil change if possible and as you know now always have xtra filter in your shop in case dealer not have stock. If dealer say it ok to change next time I would go with that this time.

Presently me have on shelf for 650 Burgie 11 x EMGO 10-55660 plus 1 new SUZUKI OEM filter that me use for comparison with other aftermarket oil filter.

Now that info on the 650 filter is a surprise to me. My Burg 200 OM says change the filter with every oil change - very curious. This is my first Suzuki product and I'm inclined to stay with standard practice - but still think its an especially good idea for a filter change the 1st time to dump the wear-in crap. JMO

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Now that info on the 650 filter is a surprise to me.
This info been post on BUSA by other member several time in past.

Fully agree normally preferable to change filter with each oil change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OP: Your service guy (IMO) is not too bright - you need to get the filter changed ASAP. The 1st change (with a new filter) dumps out the shavings of the metal parts on initial wear-in and you don't want to wait for the next scheduled change to get that junk out of your oil system.

I'm admittedly a fanatic on the subject - did my 1st oil/filter change at 175 miles and then the 600 mile full dealer service. I would royally blast a dealer service depart for accepting an oil service appointment and not having a filter on hand - it is incompetence and just plain stupid. You might think about finding another service department - I sure as h*** would. JMO

PS - your service tech should have done the oil light reset.

My manual says every other oil change. If you look at the maintenance chart it clearly has an "R" meaning Replace EVERY OTHER oil change. To the guy who is fanatic about changing the oil, good for you, but if you have that many shavings in your oil or on the filter, you have other issues far beyond an oil change. I took out the filter, inspected it, used a N52 magnet (The strongest you can buy) and went over the filter and picked up nothing. The magnetic drain plug also had nothing. Changing the break in oil at 175 miles instead of the full 600 is far worse for the engine than skipping an oil filter. It's called break in oil for a reason. I don't use the dealer for anything besides parts, I'm an industrial mechanic and own a service manual. The service department isn't stupid, they are absolutely correct. The surface area of the oil filter is great enough that it's really not that big of a deal. No need for them to reset the oil light either, 10 seconds on google and a 30 second youtube video later, it's done.... none of this is rocket science, it's just a scooter...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't think I'd reuse the filter from the first change. Too many metal shavings possible to want to run them through the engine again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My manual says every other oil change. If you look at the maintenance chart it clearly has an "R" meaning Replace EVERY OTHER oil change. To the guy who is fanatic about changing the oil, good for you, but if you have that many shavings in your oil or on the filter, you have other issues far beyond an oil change. I took out the filter, inspected it, used a N52 magnet (The strongest you can buy) and went over the filter and picked up nothing. The magnetic drain plug also had nothing. Changing the break in oil at 175 miles instead of the full 600 is far worse for the engine than skipping an oil filter. It's called break in oil for a reason. I don't use the dealer for anything besides parts, I'm an industrial mechanic and own a service manual. The service department isn't stupid, they are absolutely correct. The surface area of the oil filter is great enough that it's really not that big of a deal. No need for them to reset the oil light either, 10 seconds on google and a 30 second youtube video later, it's done.... none of this is rocket science, it's just a scooter...

RE Bolded above - see Suzuki USA's response regarding break-oil below.
They don't use it and the filter is definitely to be changed at the 600 mile mark.

As a longstanding habit, I usually do an oil/filter change at 1/2 the factory miles recommendation, the smaller the engine the more frequently I'll change it. An oil/filter change is really cheap insurance and IS especially important the 1st time at break-in mileage (or sooner).

Regarding "stupid" service departments - if they don't have the required parts on hand for a scheduled service - perhaps incompetent would be a better descriptor. JMO

Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:54 PM
To: Mcatvriv Support (This is Suzuki's USA Customer Service contact)
Subject: Break-in Oil?

Hey Cecil
Hope all is well with you. I'm loving my B200 - great scooter.

Question - does a new Burgman 200 have special break-in oil and one shouldn't change the oil and filter before the 1st 600 mile service? Been having a discussion with some owners and the subject came up.

Thanks,
Tom

Mcatvriv Support Apr 9 at 1:12 PM
To
Pilgrim
Hi Tom:

I referred your question to our technical department and am advised there is no such thing as a special break-in oil.
The factory-filled oil is a high quality motor oil that meets the same specs called for in the owner manual, SAE 10W-40, API classification SG or higher. JASO standard MB.

There is no reason you why you may not change the oil and filter ahead of schedule but there is no benefit in doing so.
We recommend that you follow the maintenance schedule given on page 7-4 of your Owner’s Manual

Best regards,
Cecil

PS - The OM has at least one error in it - I previously questioned them about the break-in RPM recommendations. Per Suzuki USA - they are an inaccurate cut/paste job from another model's spec and you will find them entirely impossible to follow for a common sense break-in on a B200.

·
Registered
45 Posts
RE: My post above - by not having a filter change at the 600 mile service you are very likely in violation of Suzuki's warranty requirements. I suspect Suzuki would be very interested to know which dealer did that. If you doubt that - just contact Suzuki USA and ask about it.

Regarding the break-in RPM recommendations in the OM: I bought a 2014 model in DEC 2014.
PAGE 4-2 OF MY OM STATES:
INITIAL 500 MILES - BELOW 4000 RPM
UP TO 1000 MILES - BELOW 6000 RPM

It also states that the engine speed should be varied and not held constant. My initial experience was that these RPM recommendations were absurd unless you rode 600 miles on level roads at mid 20s MPH. As noted - I contacted Suzuki and they confirmed that the data was incorrect. Perhaps later editions of the OM have been changed - don't know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts