Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the stock windscreen off and replaced it with a Givi Airflow. The installation was straight forward. The only setback was a dropped rubber screw insert. Fortunately, with flashlight and needle nose pliers in hand, I was able to retrieve it and complete the installation with no more hang ups.

image.jpg

Not so straight forward was the removal of the after market K&N air filter and replacement with an OEM filter. As others have mentioned, it is a tough fit. In my case, when I bought the bike, I didn't like the sound of the exhaust. From readings on this forum, it seemed as though I could improve the sound by going back to the stock filter and reinstalling the inlet tube (snorkel).

The K&N was not a good fit. The cover was not set in the slots in the back and the screws were stripped in the front (one was missing).

The OEM was a tough fit also. After shaving the front lip on the filter, shaving the tabs on the back of the cover, and re-tapping the threads in the front screw inserts, I was able to, finally, get the filter set.

Next time, I think I'll take the interior storage box out so I can get to the back of the air filter cover. I know that will take a lot more time, but it seems like it may be worth it.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like your airbox is wrong - perhaps it's the wrong box or it is bent or broken.
I think you may be correct. It looks like the back of the air box (bottom part not the top cover) has been bent to aft a bit. That means when the tabs are fully in the notches in the back, the front screws don't alight properly. I think that may be how the threads got stripped. It's easy to see how someone may have been frustrated and tried to force the screws when not completely aligned.

I'm new to all this, so any advice on how to change the air filter would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
John, Set the Bike Off The Center Stand, On the Side Stand, and it will Be Much easy to Remove and Install The Air Filter,

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, This Was QM,s TIP! The Frame! is in the way! when the bike is on the Center Stand because the engine Position drops, So there is no room to put the Filter LID ON!

Elliott,

·
Registered
511 Posts
I guess I must have been lucky, as I had no trouble getting it back together on the center stand. I think the key is getting those two "tabs" in the rear of the cover securely inserted before trying to force it closed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I must have been lucky, as I had no trouble getting it back together on the center stand. I think the key is getting those two "tabs" in the rear of the cover securely inserted before trying to force it closed.
Lucky!! Sounds like there may be some differences. First, mine has 3 tabs in the back. Second, if the cover is not closed it hits the bar that goes from side to side and the tabs can't be set.

Wonder if there's a difference between your year and my 2008?

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>mine has 3 tabs in the back<<

Well, mine probably does too. (it's been a while) I only recall once they were seated the rest of it went together fairly easily. I guess I'll find out the next time I do it. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just removed my Oem One...Washed it out with carpet cleaner, dried it up, re-installed...Mine came off easy once i was able to break the screws loose, i used a big philips screwdriver that has a wrench style twister on the shaft to aid in turning.

On the side stand it was off in 5 mins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the secret is to put the air filter into the lid first then put it on.....same with taking it off make sure the filter is inside the lid so they both come off together or you've got no chance......Got a K&N filter on mine by the way....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Chappy, good post. You know the trick to have the bike on the side stand. It give that little extra clearance to get the old filter out and the new one in. Well done mate!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
>>Thanks for the tip Elliot. Can you explain why?<<

Yes, please do.
Yes, Elliot and Chappy are right. On side stand the weight of the bike causes the suspension to sit down slightly. This causes the cylinder head/front of engine to lower slightly and gives more clearance to work on the airfilter area. If you still have problems, then get a friend to push down a little on the rear of the bike and compress the suspension even more. You can get another couple of inches clearance that way which makes everything so so easy. Just make sure your friend is not too exuberant as they may push the bike over!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the secret is to put the air filter into the lid first then put it on.....same with taking it off make sure the filter is inside the lid so they both come off together or you've got no chance......Got a K&N filter on mine by the way....
I thought that was the way everyone did it. Anyway, it worked for me. ;)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Definitely put the bike on its side stand.
Finally, after cleaning the air filter a half-dozen times, I re-assembled it all in about two minutes. When you push the rear wheel UP toward the body, the engine moves DOWN thus giving room for the air cleaner R&R.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts