Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the new (to me) Burgman 170 mi. Yesterday and 40 today. The verdict -- super comfortable, outstanding performance, massively fun and all out μάλιστα.

The bike easily went to 80 MPH, sipped gas at 65 MPG, and handled like a dream swerving around the pot holes on the back roads in Northern Michigan.

I do have a couple of concerns -- one minor and, I'll bet, easily fixed, and the other more of a real concern.

The minor concern is my hands go numb. This, especially, happened to my left hand. The grips seem a bit small and I suspect there are after market fixes to soften and enlarge the grips. That would probably do the trick.

The other concern is the volume of noise while riding. The engine seems loud to me. It has the after market K & N air filter. I don't think it fits very good and so leaks. I've ordered the OEM air filter and tube inlet (snorkel) and hope that will quiet things down.

The biggest noise maker is the wind. I've read where most think the stock windshield is less than acceptable. I would imagine there are some who find it to be a good fit. For me, massive amounts of wind are directed exactly in my face. I'll have to do something about that before I'll be able to enjoy consecutive long days in the saddle on camping trips (which is my long term goal).

I've read all about the Givi Airflow, the standard Givi, the Clearview and the Laminar Lip. There is a lot of information for a newbie to accumulate.

Any comments or suggestions about excessive noise or hands going numb would be greatly appreciated.

John

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Numbness -- Have not expereinced that with the Burgman 400 or any other MC, except my NINJA 500. Left hand use to go to sleep (so to say) constantly. That engine is a twin parrallel (and running 3000RPM up to 8000RPM Normal Use - Red line is 11000RPM).

I added the foam water pipe insulation around the grips (it does not fit exctly as not big enough inner diameter - so, I cut pieces lengthwise to make it go all the way around and taped it on with electrical tape). I jury rig a lot of stuff vs buying fixes (they sell grip covers that are supposed to help wih the numbness).

I cannot say it really helped the numbness, but it is more comfortable to lean on (You lean FWD on a NINJA 500, not as much as a low handle bar real sport bike).

Some folks say relax grip on the handle bars. I never use a tight gripe on handle bars, maybe in a panic).

All that said, for some reason I seldom experience the numbness anymore.

WINDSHIELD -- I just live with it. Never been on anything except a Goldwing that was quite. (very quite, but big old windshield that I would not want to sit behind or go thru in an accident).

I installed a LIPITOR on my Burgman 650 (not worth the money as far as I am concerned). Maybe helped a little.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can help on the grips - I love the Superbike grips from Galindo Designs{a company under the EBC brake corp}. They are a bit larger in diameter than the average grip with deep groves for added traction.

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/galindo-grips/

They can sometimes be hard to find however. They come in several sizes so make sure you get the right one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use the Kuryakyn ISO grips with the palm rests for numbness control. It helps a lot. The Burgman isn't the quietest scooter nor the noisiest. I would replace the K&N air filter as a start, but you are still going to have noise from wind and engine noise as well, regardless of what you do. I don't mind a little noise, it keeps me of listening to my own singing while I ride... Trust me, it ain't pretty...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and looked to see if I hand the stock grips, and I do. However, I noticed there is a black knob on the right grip and none on the left. Searching this sight, I found that these are called bar ends and they are supposed to reduce vibration. I apparently lost the left one and that may well be why my left hand went numb more than my right.

Such a newbie I are:p

·
Registered
748 Posts
You have a nice bike, and a few legitament questions, and the good news is, they're all easily fixable. The big Kyrakyn grips, the filter you ordered already, and when I switched to the Givi on my 400, it was like rolling the windows up in a car! So, you did your home work, and already found your answers, kudos.
You're really going to love it when you're done!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Grip Puppies...cheap and easy to install. Similar to the pipe insulation idea but, a purpose-fit product. Also, gloves with padded palms. I initially had the same problem but, after installing the Grip Puppies and getting appropriate gloves, no more problem.

Windshield...Could hardly hear my engine over the wind noise. Much improved with Givi Airflow. If overall noise level is high for you, use earplugs (that in itself will get you a handful of different recommendations on the forum).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Grip puppies +1. kuryakyan grips +2. I have had numbness issues with the stock grips on every bike I have owned. grip puppies are a great and cheap solution. They make a big difference. bar end weights, the heavier the better, also help with the vibration that creates numbness. it took me a while, because I am tight fisted, but when I finally sprung for a set of Kuryakyans I wished I hadn't waited so long. Kuryakyans are essentially grip puppies on steroids. If you can afford them, get them. if not get some grip puppies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have to decide if you want to ride something that is like a rolled up window in a car. I don't want this in a motorcycle and the stock w/s was preferable to the Givi that also came w/ mine in that respect.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
John, it's not uncommon to experience some numbness in one or both hands to start with when you first start riding a Burgman or any bike. Your loss of the bar end weight may be adding to it. It's nearly always the fact that we don't relax our hands enough when we are getting used to a new bike. You have to let the upper body and arms and hands relax as much as you can until it become a normal stance. The other thing is to make sure your riding gloves are not too tight around the palms and fingers, that'a another good cause of numbness. Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to decide if you want to ride something that is like a rolled up window in a car. I don't want this in a motorcycle and the stock w/s was preferable to the Givi that also came w/ mine in that respect.
I'd be the guy who would like my Burgman to be like a car with a window rolled down.

20 some years ago when I had my last motorcycle I was into no fairing, no face shield and eating bugs on my rat-bike Harley low-rider. These days I've mellowed out and I'm much more inclined to go for comfort than grit.

So, I guess I've decided.

John

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Grip puppies & 7Jurock windshield is what I used when I owned my 400. ;)

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I tried the K&N and ran into a few bumps...louder, hard to get installed, and my MPG suffered a tad. For the cost savings VS the experience, I went back to the stock OEM air filter. I'm still saving money in riding vs caging.

On the wind, I got a GIVI Windshield. Solved that issue. Since my 400 is primary transportation, it makes it easier when it's 30 degrees out there.

Hmm, on the grips...maybe I need to check out some options....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered the Givi Airflow. I took the bike out on the freeway. I was bucking 20 mph winds and at 70 mph, into the 20 mph winds, I was taking a beating. With the stock windscreen, the wind was hitting from my armpits, across my collar bone and, of course, my head and neck.

I was going to buy a new helmet, but since I have a very usable helmet (stolen from my son) I decided a new screen was more important.

I'm planning on going on a short camping trip this coming weekend and think the windscreen will make the trip a lot more fun.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts