Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first long ride yesterday day. I know for some of you 467 miles is not a real long ride. However, it's unlikely that I will ever do more. It's just not in my makeup to go beyond my comfort zone at this point in my life.

The following are my observations:

Performance

I spent most of the day on two lane roads with the speedo on 60. I did 4 timed speed checks that indicated at 60 mph indicated I was traveling at 55.8 mph calculated. This works out to a 7% positive speedo error, or, about what others have noticed. Actually, I think it worked out a little better than what's been reported. I did a 15 mi. stretch on the freeway where I kept the speedo on 80 mph indicated. Using the same 7% error I was doing 74 mph. I passed a number of cars and one semi. Two cars passed me. The weather man said we had 15 mph winds directly off my port side. With the exception of passing the semi, I had no problems with the occasional wind that was strong enough to move the bike. The engine seemed like it could go on all day -- if, in fact, I thought I could!

Mileage has been a pleasant surprise. I've kept records now for the first 1,500 miles I've had the bike. I'm averaging 66 mpg calculated with a high of 71 mpg and a low of 63 mpg. The gauge was telling me I was getting 67 mpg when I started the 15 mi. freeway section. After 15 mi. at 80 mph indicated, I was down to 62 mpg. It probably would have gone further down had I continued on the freeway. Speaking of the mpg gauge, after each tank I have calculated that the bike gets 2 more mpg than indicated on the gauge. I'm a Prius owner and I'm attuned to hypermiling techniques. I don't go crazy, but I use them when I can. I think that helps. (As an aside, that's one of the reasons I got a 400. I wasn't sure I wanted a scooter that didn't get better mileage than my car.)

2. Comfort

I thought I needed a cushion of some type. Yesterday was in the 80's. It's not going to get much warmer where I live in Northern Michigan. By the end of the day I was fine with the stock seat. I usually stop every hour to an hour and a half and I stand at all stops. This plus moving my feet to various positions kept me comfortable all day.

The only time I felt buffeted by the wind was when I passed a semi on the freeway. Although I never felt out of control, I was moved around a bit and I'll have to get used to that. It caught me off guard.

I was put off by the wind noise. At the end of the day I had some ringing in my ears. Fortunately it's gone today but I'm going out today to get some ear plugs. Don't need to add hearing loss to the other frailties of old age.

3. Storage

It's awesome. I've been looking at some fancy luggage. After yesterday, I don't believe I need any. I put all my camping gear, bathroom bag, rain gear and warm clothes below the seat. I have a large fanny pack (1,100 cu. in. If I recall correctly) and I put the rest of my clothes in that along with my I-Pad. On the back luggage rack I put a soft sided cooler that held all my cooking, dish washing supplies, food and an ice pack. In the dash storage went 2 liters of water, writing supplies, gloves and I-Phone.

This post is getting long, but if requested I can list everything that went into each compartment.

4. What's Next

Not much! I'm going to buy some ear plugs. Other than that, the Burgman 400 is a solidly exceptional machine that is a masterpiece.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right on, the truth is a 467 miles day is about enough for anyone and still be enjoyable. You hit the high points and, once again, you found that you don't need to add a lot to make your 400 totally workable. A topbox would give you more concealed storage if needed. I think side bags are much expense and overkill on a 400 scooter.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I agree - my longest day is 950 KM and that only because of long daylight hours.

I don't think side bags are needed. You can get over 110 litres of storage with just a topcase and interior and that's more than most sport tourers with side bags.
Plus you have upfront storage and if you are riding one up and want more....look at at tall tank bag for the buddy seat - makes a superb backrest and the multiple levels even allows some extra fuel as we did on The James Bay Highway.

You can see the fuel tank peeking out

was 380 km between fuel stations.

Burgman looks cleaner than buddies Weestrom.

This is the type I used - and most often only the bottom was sufficient.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marsee-motorcycle-tank-bag-magnetic-20l-mr-pocket~p~75841/?showlocalization=True

and it was a great backrest when I used it on the Silverwing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ageed! I've got everything I need, or want, in my setup below. The only thing I want to change is the chair. As I've gotten older, a decent chair has become a must. Although what I have in the picture worked well, I'm looking into a "Kermit Chair." The one I have is a bit ungainly on the bike. The Kermit will be able to fit in storage.

I really like the versatility of the luggage rack. I can put whatever I want back there.

By the way, nice setup MacDoc.

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have a Kermit chair unused - in red no less. Never opened it - even has the extensions.
Was considering doing some camping but these old joints are not much on the idea.
It just might have the company logo on it but hey..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts