Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had arranged to ride this morning with a guy I met recently who also owns a yellow V-Strom. It was 34 degrees F when I opened my garage door at 9am. As I was putting on my electrically heated jacket liner, I looked longingly at my scooter with its more protective bodywork and larger windscreen. Nope. It was going to be a yellow V-Strom ride this morning. Looked out at my car in the driveway covered with frost. Ugh!

Well, the ride was invigorating, I'll say that. The electric gear kept me reasonably warm enough, but with the shorty windscreen and legs hanging out in the wind I knew darn well that it was cold outside. Got home about 1.5 hours later and stayed in the house for awhile.

Got stir crazy. It was 1 pm - should be warmer by now. Time for a scooter ride. 54 degrees and overcast - still not beach weather by any means. Put on my medium weight gloves, and did not plug in my electrics. Brrr... Not the right choice. Returned home after a relatively short, and once again, invigorating ride.

In about a month, I'll be wishing for a day as nice as today to ride. But I'll be better acclimated to cold weather riding by then. Meanwhile, we get a reprieve tomorrow. Temps back up into the mid-seventies. But old man Winter just fired his first warning shot. He'll be back.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
For me , sat was our 2nd cold ride. The first was 2 weeks ago on our road trip north. Yesterday was or 2nd. Starting out at 11:30 , we went on another "ABATE" poker run with our son and about 50 others. Included were 2 sportbikes, 1 newer Beemer, 1 Goldwing, 1 Burgman 650 and about 45 Harleys.
The temps were about 50 and sunny, with winds @15mph from the south. The worst part is stopping, 5 stops for 10-15 min. in 4 hrs. There was only 1 person with heated gear, and he was given crap about it, but in a friendly way. One woman wore 2 Leather jackets. We had sweat pants on under our jeans, and sweatshirts under our leathers.
We bonded well with everone, now having 2 things in common, bikes and the cold. Like pauljo's area we are expecting warmer weather next week. Just in time for the fall colors. Last year we put the bike to bed @ about 20 degrees. There's maybe 6 weeks left of riding left "sigh".
Till then, enjoy.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
JJJJJUUUSSSSTTTt gggottt innnnnn thissssss mooorrning frommm rideee!! It was 4*C this morning. It really wasnt that bad but I never hit the open highway though. I didnt wear my long johns but put them on the priority list of things to unpack this morning. I'm on midnight shift this week and will be commutting in these temps all week. Sort of depressing thinking that the season is coming to an end. On the brighter side it looks like I will get a full season on the OEM tires. 16000 kms and counting. I'm just going to have to exercise more caution with the colder road conditions along with the old almost used up tires.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Gee, I feel sorry for you guys, it was 76 degrees here in Nanaimo, British Columbia yesterday and we have more of the same on tap for today. It’s 5:30 a.m. and 56 degrees. There were a lot of riders out yesterday in t-shirts and shorts.

Cheers Al

·
Registered
367 Posts
Isn't BC where they had to invent rain tires?

Just KIDDING!!! :oops:

My son and I as well as a couple of guests went for an afternoon ride and MAN, was it cold!
The gusts across the fields felt like snow was just behind then. They were definitely Alaskan gusts!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gruntled said:
Yeah, I hate it when it gets cold here & I have to wear a sweater.
"Cold" being defined as anything below 60 degrees F ?. :wink:

I lived in California for about 18 months. Pacific Grove - near Monterey. Went shopping for a Christmas tree wearing shorts and a T-Shirt. For a native "Northlander", that just didn't seem right. :shock:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Allwalk, how in god's name di you manage to get 16000kms out of your stock tyres? I could only got 8500kms before it started to feel like a workout turning the thing through the numerous winding roads here due to the flat spot in the centre of the rear tyre. No doubt, you ride solo and don't carry much luggage..?

4 degrees C in October? That sounds a bit chilly. It's 26 degrees C here. 8)

I took the girlfriend out for her first touring on her new bike last Saturday - I took the 1100 naked, and she took the VTR (looks like a Ducati Monster). Very impressed with her confidence on the mountain roads, which is testimony to the value of the depth of preparation of the Japanese training system. By the end of the day, she was accelerating so hard from traffic lights that I had to go through the gears clutches in the low/mid range to stay with her. Considering that my 1100 has 143bhp at the rear tyre, and her VTR has somelike 31bhp at the road, this is saying something. 27 degrees, dark visor, smiles, and losts of fun.

We'll be doing it in tandem next time on the 650. The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Isn't BC where they had to invent rain tires?
Actually Ken, it doesn't rain that much in Victoria. We are in the "rain shadow" of the Olympic Mountains, so we get half the rainfall of what Vancouver and Seattle get. 8)

It just mainly drizzles, therefore it's not uncommon to see quite a few bikes on the road every day of the year (except if we get the rare snowfall - :shock:- which never stays more that few days).

Reg

·
Registered
367 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Actually Ken, it doesn't rain that much in Victoria.
Yea, yea, rub it in! :cry:

I hear about it all the time, I have another son who is out in Victoria, in the Navy (rides a Triumph Speed 4). Not only do I have to hear about how great things are in Victoria but he has informed me that he will be wintering in Hawaii.

It is all his 'fault' that I am back on a bike and that lead to his brother not wanting to be left out. So now we have two bikes here in Ottawa and one in Victoria.
I am going to have to figure out how to get all three bikes together in the same area and arrange for a family ride! It wil be a challenge but I figure I may be able to get it done.
I have all that time this winter that I won't be riding to plot and plan! :?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
lycheed said:
Allwalk, how in god's name di you manage to get 16000kms out of your stock tyres? I could only got 8500kms before it started to feel like a workout turning the thing through the numerous winding roads here due to the flat spot in the centre of the rear tyre.
:dontknow: Just lucky I guess! You're right about the solo riding. I say 90% of my time is solo, how ever I kept the tires inflated for 2 up riding.
Don't get me wrong.....I have a nice flat spot on the rear as well. I found on some corners it feels like I'm riding on the edge of where the flat area ends. I found that if I ride more agressively now in the corners I lean the bike over farther to the area beyond the flat part and all is good. The front looks like the wear is more proportional over the full width . I can't notice really any cupping or flat areas there. Regardless of how the front looks though at the end of the season I will be putting on 2 fresh Pirellis for the spring.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We had a home in Indio, California for a number of years and spent part of the winter in Indio. The weather was nice but we did get some cold weather from time to time. We spent a fair amount of time in San Diego, the weather is great but it can get cool ocean side. It’s pretty hard to beat the weather in southern California and there are some great scenic areas for riding.

Cheers Al

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the car down to Eureka Springs, Arkansas last week to give my wife a mini vacation. There were still a lot of motorcycles being ridden there, Harleys and Goldwings being in the majority. I did see several smallish scooters being ridden also.

Stopped in at Sonya's Leather again. They had a beautiful leather riding jacket for $99 that really caught my eye. Unfortunately, the neck was too small in the size that otherwise fit me. While I was trying it on, a guy and his gal were nearby - the guy was trying on leather chaps. The gal was explaining to him that he should buy them because they looked cool on him. I'll quote her. "You have to realize that motorcycles are all about style. I know you like to ride your bike too - but it's really all about style." Harley Riders? :roll: She wasn't all bad though. She pulled out her checkbook to pay for his new chaps...

Back home - not so many on the road. I guess a lot of folks pack it in when the temperature hits 50 degrees F. That would be 60 degrees for most of the cruiser posers.

I did make some concessions to the cooler temps though. Mounted my taller windscreens on both the Burgman and the V-Strom and zipped the liner into my fabric riding jacket. With my electrically heated riding gear, I'm good to go for another two months IF the snow will stay away.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
BobG and I met for breakfast yesterday morning at 8:30 AM. near his home in BelAir, MD. After breakfast we took a ride thru parts of MD and PA. It was cloudy and the temps were in the mid-40s to about 50 but it was a great ride.
Even though it was not the best weather for a ride, that cool air and the start of the Fall colors in our area really was invigorating. To me, this time of the year is the best time to ride. I'll put more miles on my Burgman in the next 3 months than during any other season. Spring is nice, Winter can be iffy and Summer around here is just too hot and humid. Fall (even when it gets down around freezing) is my kind of riding weather! :lol:
Don

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd like to echo Don. It was a very enjoyable ride. Would love to have others from the MD/PA area join us some time.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
Best thing about cool weather riding - No bugs! :wink:
Yeah - but the rain is horizontal here! :cry:

·
Registered
209 Posts
NormanB said:
Yeah - but the rain is horizontal here! :cry:
Then if you ride in the same direction as the rain, at the same speed as the rain, it will effectively stop. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts