Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all well after three burgman 400s I'm getting my first 650 on Thursday, have I made the right choice?, its a 2009 K9 covered
5000 miles. I like the idea of heated seats and grips abs the list is endless how much different is the 650 to ride than the 400?
Some might say I'm mad I am part exchanging a Honda ST1300. Hoping me and my partner will have many hours riding.
Steve.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Steve,
Welcome aboard Steve. I am sure that you will find the 650 a pleasure to ride. The 650 is about 110 pounds heavier, plenty more get up and go and I enjoy it much more than I did the 400 I had.

Bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't let anyone tell you you're mad. You would be the one to determine that. My opinion Is that you have done what you wanted. Good on you! I often do what I want and have people make remarks. Most of them neither have the money or the sense to make the decision I have made so be gone with them. Enough said.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Burgman to go said:
I'm getting my first 650 on Thursday, have I made the right choice?, its a 2009 K9 covered
5000 miles. Some might say I'm mad I am part exchanging a Honda ST1300.
Steve.
I was tempted to trade in my B650ex today for either the 2012 Gold Wing or BMW K1600. I swap and rotate my motorcycles on a regular basis. Sitting on the Gold Wing or K1600 didn't do anything for me. I only have 7500+mi on my K9. I really wanted to do more touring on my K9 before trading it out. I missed out on touring in 2012 and thus the low mileage. I also made some fixes to my B650 dashboard to get rid of a irritating vibration noises that had made me want to previously trade my B650.

After the fix to my B650 dashboard, the B650 has no harmonic rattle as before. Previously I shimmed the windscreen and top of the dashboard to get rid of other 'gremlin vibration sounds'.

This is not to say I won't trade in the B650 at another time, but for now I want the B650 open road experience :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see at the bottom of your sig, you tried different military branches. I also tried the USArmy for 3 years and the the USAF for 22 years. After Viet Nam I knew the soldering was not my thing. :)

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Steve,

congrats on the new ride, you will like the 650.

I gave up my ST13 in favor of the 650 too, as it say a lot after I got the 650. I sometimes miss the extra ponnies and suspension but overall, the 650 is a much more comfortable ride for everyday riding and even long distance touring. The 650 will do everything the ST13 did except for all day long triple digit runs.

post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - welcome to the 650 grin club.

The St1100 her is Aus is close and big time more power above the legal limit but nowhere as easy to ride around town .
650 is a do all machine - from twisties to touring to grocery shopping and fun in all of them.

Dirt roads? not so much :D
Enjoy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, me too. I came to the Burgman 650 via years on Goldwings. Old age and arthritis helped me decide. I also have a 2003 Silverwing scooter as well. I like the Silverwing for it's bullet proof engine and drive train. Other than an occasional CVT belt and variator rollers which are easy to replace there's little to do on it. The Burgman looks to be a bit more difficult to maintain and there is the risk of a CVT failure but it's a lot smoother to ride and can carry a heavier load than the Silverwing. When I ride two up it's on the Burgman. I'll use the Burgman for longer rides as well and keep the Silverwing for running errands in town.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Steve

First of all, a belated welcome to the forum :hello2: and if your plans have been realised then you are the proud new owner of a Burgman 650.

If you have not bought the 650 yet then may I refer you to our FAQ on the 650/400 differences - Linky.

The only key issue is 'do you fit the bike'? By that I mean physically, can you flat foot both sides simultaneously while seated OR at the other end of the scale do you impale your knees on the dash? All other aspects of the 400/650 question really fall into 'consumer choice' territory and we are all sucesptible to irrational purchases. By this I mean, you should buy a machine that is the best design fit for your intended useage BUT that is not a LAW and how you spend your money is your business. Otherwise why would anyone buy a £45,000 4x4 (aka Chelsea Tractor) and only use it to take the kids to school! :lol:

Please let us know how you are getting on with this. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I would be interessted in exactly what you did to eliminate the Windshield rattle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts