Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my first "long" trip on the Burgman Saturday 3/22/14 from WV to Maggie Valley, NC. Well, it was my first long trip on 2-wheels period since endurance racing through one tank of gas doesn't count :).

The Burgman is great! I took the advice of another poster to stop every hour or so and I arrived in fairly good shape. Woke up the next day feeling pretty good in this almost 50 year old body.

MPG was 54 running mostly highway at 60-75mph. Details at http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tbb10785/burgman-400

Had a big event on Sunday returning from morning worship, hit a cat with the front wheel, missed the rear. That had got my attention! I didn't fall and the Burgman seems to be fine. Right now I'm snowed in until at least Thursday which is OK since I'm working until Thursday anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Well see there...
if you hadn't hit that cat,
it might not have snowed....
just watch yourself next time...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice trip. I plan on joining the "high mileage club" the first week of May. Also going to SC (to Deals Gap) but from Shreveport La.
Glad you and the Burg survived the "speed bump".

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did you stop and check the cat? Poor thing. It was only trying to go to dinner...or maybe it was breakfast. In any case, it couldn't read so it crossed in a no crossing zone. So I would be worried about a discrimination lawsuit from that cat. Was the cat black? If so, you also get to have some bad luck. If not, maybe it wanted to be black and you took that away by hitting it. Oops, another lawsuit. It is hard to get by down South without lawsuits, you know. Even the pets are getting into it, so be glad you didn't stop. Just saying....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Poor , Cat I Guess he went somewhere and Laid down and fell asleep and Died!!

Hope it was not a Black Cat, Bad Luck!! if you Hit a Black Cat!!

Elliott,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was in fact a black cat but with some white markings. I worry about getting a letter from a lawyer representing the cat about a future lawsuit. Lots of feral cat in this area which is better than the whitetail deer at home in West Virginia, if you have to hit one with a Burgman.

Other than birds, the only other animal I can remember hitting is a small snapping turtle crossing the racetrack at Grattan Raceway in Michigan.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
54 mpg seems a tad low for highway cruising at those speeds. I'd expect close to 60. I get 54 when I'm running stop and go commuting traffic. Is the bike running okay? Is it running loud? Like a popping sound? Is it efi?

But I'm not familiar with the 04, could be normal.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The only bad luck you get from having a black cat crossing your path is if you don't give him kibbles. Then, he'll just keep on crossing your path back and forth and complaining until either you give in -- or you get unlucky and trip over him.

Well, at least that's how it works in my house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts