Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen pics of police scooters....but how about fire fighting scoots?

[url=http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/photo/2003/11/24/2003104174 said:
Taipei Time Article[/url]]Pint size fire engine
Nihon Kikai Kogyo's latest fire-fighting machine, the ''Mist Dragon,'' is displayed at the 2003 Tokyo International Fire and Safety Exhibition in Tokyo, yesterday. Based on a 250cc motor-scooter, the two-wheel fire engine is designed to shorten the time it takes a fire-fighting crew to reach the site of a fire and begin fighting it with a water mist gun and a 60-liter water tank.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't that be the "Hook and step-ladder" model??? :lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Too bad it isn't painted yellow and white.

Smart Fire Departments know that red trucks are involved in far more accidents :shock: then yellow, white or lime-green (yuk!).

After 30 years as Professional Firefighter, I still can't understand :?: why some people have this fascination about red fire trucks (besides, they look black at night).

Give me a bright yellow Burgy any day! :D

Just my 2 cents!

Reg

·
Registered
59 Posts
That was probably a bear to get up on the centerstand with 60 L of water loaded onto it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Doctor K said:
That was probably a bear to get up on the centerstand with 60 L of water loaded onto it.
I'd bet that it carries a chemical charge, rather than water. That would eliminate the need for pumping apparatus - and the diameter of the hose and the shape of the device in the rider's hand, would indicate chemical. It's kind of a giant mobile fire extinquisher.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The text wit the pic specifies "water mist gun" and "60 liter water tank". It'd make a lot more sense if it did use chemical charge instead though.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pauljo said:
Obviously, I mist that
:lol:

There's gotta be kids that'd see that bike and think, "My supersoaker (watergun) will outperform that water toy" :p

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
The text wit the pic specifies "water mist gun" and "60 liter water tank". It'd make a lot more sense if it did use chemical charge instead though.
Water mist (or fog) is good! Not suitable for all fires but probably most. Chemicals are good but have no cooling effect.

·
Registered
368 Posts
aint that thing a Honda Reflex?

·
Registered
16 Posts
And, of course, you all remember why fire engines are red, don't you?

4 wheels and eight men, right?
4+8=12
There are 12 inches in a ruler.
Queen Elizabeth was a ruler.
Queen Elizabeth was also a ship,
A ship that sailed the seven seas.
In the seas were fish and the fish had fins.
The Finns fought the Russians.
The Russians were Red.
Fire engine are always rushin'
So fire engines are always red.

Any conjectures as to why a fire scooter might be red? :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
Wow, do they send those out for dog-houses that have caught fire?
Probably mostly a "First Response" for vehicle fires on the highways.

All the cars that get backed up behind a vehicle fire can make it hard for larger apparatus to get through. The Mist Dragon can get there first and extinguish a small fire, or keep a medium fire from getting larger until larger equipment gets there.

It could also provide an escape route for a driver to get through; misters are very cooling.

It could also be good for small roadside fires caused by the many jerks who throw lit cigarettes out their car windows, and so on.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Doctor K said:
If I'm remembering my conversions right, that would be about 120 pounds. That would be a lot to lift.

Maybe they're using light water. :lol:

(That's a firefighter's joke. vfdcaptain will get it. :wink: )

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the city with all the traffic the fire scoot makes a lot of sense. Lane-splitting at it's finest. It could mean the difference in saving a building vrs containing a burning building.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe they're using light water. That's a firefighter's joke. vfdcaptain will get it.
That's very good Brian! :lol:

In the city with all the traffic the fire scoot makes a lot of sense. Lane-splitting at it's finest. It could mean the difference in saving a building vrs containing a burning building.
In a densely populated city core, I can see the use of a pair of scooters for a car fire, but certainly not a building fire. Forget Hollywood's concept of a building fire. Real fires in contained spaces get going very quickly and require a lot of manpower, equipment and a major amount of water. Yes, you could use foam to cut down on the water, but foam is very costly and only used in special circumstances.

Also, Worker's Compensation Board isn't going to allow a single firefighter to go running in a burning building by himself (even if he looks like a spaceman). It's a team effort that is governed by a lot of rules and regulations.

And even then, it's a very risky job!

Reg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts