Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i finally got some free time ( at 2AM) so here it is, the complete instructions on building your own luggage rack instead of buying a $100 + rack from givi
its posted at: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Tru ... rgman-400/
feel free to ask questions about the build. i didnt take as many pictures as i would have liked but i will be happy to try and get some more if needed

thanks for looking and thanks for everyones contributions to this great forum! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Nice write up and pictures!
I really like the ease and simplicity of your design.
Thanks for posting and sharing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
happy to help, and im glad the instructions made sense, i was kinda tired at the time i put it together.
and feel free to point out anything that could be done better

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
While I love the how easy this is, the engineer in me can't help be but wary.

How much weight have you carried so far? Have you noticed anything going out of level, since install?

It just seems to me that there's a lot of stress being put on to small(ish) mounting points, and would love to know how things have stood up.

When I put the box on my 400s, I didn't have a backrest, but had a mounting plate for my box (removable, a Bestem 2012 to be exact), so I removed the rear aluminum plate (Which Suzuki laughingly refers to as a "spoiler", and drilled four holes. I then used four 5/16-18 bolts, each with three nuts and four washers, to hold the mounting plate( bolt head at the plate wit h washer, nut and washer immediately below, then nuts and washers either side of the "spoiler". This allowed for adjustment to level the box in both directions.
Once happy and all tight, it was just a matter of refitting the spoiler with the plate, and clicking on the box.
I've had mine on for 18 months now, and had various loads in there, up to about 15lbs, and never had an issue.

I have a 650 with a backrest now, and am contemplating fitting a box to it (probably another Bestem, I like that they color match, and they're cheap). So your method interests me, and I wonder if I could use a variation of it. I'm just nervous of there only being support at the front, so that's why I ask.

Anyone know if this would work with a 650 Ex backrest too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the post and easy to understand directions.
I am looking in the near future to add a luggage rack this is going to help for sure. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Fatjock said:
While I love the how easy this is, the engineer in me can't help be but wary.

How much weight have you carried so far? Have you noticed anything going out of level, since install?

It just seems to me that there's a lot of stress being put on to small(ish) mounting points, and would love to know how things have stood up.
My first thought was that it was a very innovative solution. My second the same as yours, prompting me to get my backrest out of the attic and take a peek.

Turns out those bosses are actually somewhat robust, the one on the bike's right being somewhat compromised as compared to the other. It is an aluminum casting so I would not want to hang 100 pounds off the end of either 12" bolt; but with a distributed load of 20 lbs or so it should be OK. Vibration and dynamic inertial forces could be problematic.

One change I would suggest would be to use some heavy flat washers between the nuts and the aluminum casting so as to better distribute the load, and avoid stress concentration that the cantilevered load would place on the "corners" of the nuts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did purchase washers to put in between the aluminum and the nuts, the only problem was that there is not enough space for them to fit. one day i may pull it back apart and try again but for now it seems to be holding up just fine. I carry my tool kit, 2 ratcheting wrench combo kits, and a a good size rachet set, a portable air pump, first aid kit, extra oil (just in case) and a bunch of random stuff. i think it is upwards of 20 lbs. and like i said, it has been holding up great so far, nothing is loose or worn through so far. if something does fail, i will be sure to post how and why to prevent it from happening to anyone else.

and im glad i could come up with a workable soulution to an overly expensive problem :D

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Cool.

I have a box on the way for my 650, and may look into this as a posiible mounting method, and get to keep the backrest. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
robbystowe said:
I did purchase washers to put in between the aluminum and the nuts, the only problem was that there is not enough space for them to fit. one day i may pull it back apart and try again but for now it seems to be holding up just fine. I carry my tool kit, 2 ratcheting wrench combo kits, and a a good size rachet set, a portable air pump, first aid kit, extra oil (just in case) and a bunch of random stuff. i think it is upwards of 20 lbs. and like i said, it has been holding up great so far, nothing is loose or worn through so far. if something does fail, i will be sure to post how and why to prevent it from happening to anyone else.

and im glad i could come up with a workable soulution to an overly expensive problem :D
Look for SAE washers, they have a smaller OD than plain ol' USS flat washers. A 1/2" SAE washer is only 1-1/16" outside, versus a USS washer's 1-3/8". Most hardware stores will have them in the specialty fastener bins. They may have "SAE heavy" washers which are thicker and usually hardened as well.

I checked quickly and the SAE washers will fit for sure on the backside, you may have to shave a bit off to mount one on the front "compromised" side...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice post. Does your lid open ok with the back rest right there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, the lid opens all the way with no issues. the only problem that particular box has is the hinge pins tend to fall out so i replaced them with some nails that seem to stay in place much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts