Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been taking 100 to 150 mile (161 - 241 KM) rides. Generally speaking it's to places I have been to or know, but where is the fun in that?

I've been looking for a smart phone app that will allow me to either plan a route directly to my phone or transfer the route to my phone's GPS system. I invested about 20 bucks for a little Bluetooth device that fits in my ear so I can hear the directions. So far this has worked nicely but I can't really track my route or map it this way.

I am hoping to make some longer trips in the future.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Re: Finding a good Map application for my smarter than me ph

You don't say if it's an iPhone but have a look at Motionx gps drive ,

Does everything you want and a lot more. Can't beat the price ($0.99). They charge you for turn by turn voice guidance although the first 30 days are free, or you can pay $2.99 for 30 days when you need it or $9.99 for a year. It's not a subscription, you just pay when you need it. You can preload your routes and maps so you don't need cell signal.  I use it all the time with my Sena as well. Check it out here for all the options: http://news.motionx....ionx-gps-drive/

I copied this from another post on another forum http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.ph ... or-iphone/, I have never actually used it.

AnyWay hope it helps, if not apologies !

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Re: Finding a good Map application for my smarter than me ph

a good map app for a phone is as a paperweight as you study the route

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have an android phone, Google maps for navigation.
Glympse to let others see your route.
Ulysses speedometer for dashboard HUD.

I was using my phone but killing my battery, so I bought a garmin nuvi 2455 on cl for $50. Much better for nav.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
TomTom is on both platforms and provides turn by turn. Biggest advantage - you don't need cellular connection.

ForeverMap also good and has been my goto when all the others fail ( no service ) tho TomTom now is the actual route planner. Not the best interface but not needing to have a data connect AND the Winding Roads feature trumps the small downsides.
You can set your route to three levels of Winding Roads as well as the usual Fastest, Shortest etc.
THAT is worth the price alone.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/tomtom-navigation-for-iphone-ipad/navigation-app/

They even have the sometimes hard to find low profile 12 volt.

Second vote for MotionX Drive - brilliant, easy - guided me back from the wilds of PA to Toronto at mid night being chased by a rain storm without a flaw even around detours. Good interface but does need a data stream tho it has limited no service ability once the route has been set.

The iPhone will work for navigating even if in pocket or the right hand glove box.
I just pull a USB 12 volt charger cable to the glove box. You can even flip down the door and get a look at the route without buying a mount tho I'm considering one.

Voice guidance makes a complex route - even if its a few miles - very simple and lets you relax. Integrates well with music - I use Ultimate Ears and the iPhone for music and Nav
Scala for buddy chat and phone. The scala can be heard even with the earphones in.

Navigating with a voice guidance app is a much safer and more relaxing way to get somewhere.
MotionX does an excellent job of rerouting when I decide to explore.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Recently I've been taking 100 to 150 mile (161 - 241 KM) rides. Generally speaking it's to places I have been to or know, but where is the fun in that?

I've been looking for a smart phone app that will allow me to either plan a route directly to my phone or transfer the route to my phone's GPS system. I invested about 20 bucks for a little Bluetooth device that fits in my ear so I can hear the directions. So far this has worked nicely but I can't really track my route or map it this way.

I am hoping to make some longer trips in the future.

Any ideas?
CoPilot Live can do on-device customized routes. Importing routes is possible, but a convoluted process requiring third party software and some navigation through the phone's file system. (Routes have to be converted to *.trp files and manually placed in the appropriate folder inside the CoPilot Live app files.)

I used a version of it several years ago on a HTC Touch Cruise II. The user interface was good, and the routing seemed pretty efficient aside from a stubborn insistence on sending you back to your original route if you got off track, rather than recalculating the most direct route to your destination from your present position. This may have been fixed since. (And even if not, that approach has some utility.)

I haven't used it on my current (somewhat obsolete) phone because the phone's display and GPS draw more power than the phone will accept from a charger -- it will run out the battery even when it's plugged in! I may end up getting CoPilot for one of my tablets; if I do I'll report back on how it works.

Note: Using a tablet on a 400 might be awkward, but tablets up to about 8" display size* will fit between the handlebars on the '12 and earlier 650s (I haven't checked if they'll fit on the '13s).

*Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 fits, the iPad Mini will probably fit; any 7" tablet (Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 & 3, etc.) will definitely fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts