Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just got my 400 on Saturday and thought of announcing it to this board on Sunday. Funny thing...I can't find the posting anywhere?? Maybe Green goose edits the location of the postings. No matter I just wanted to announce to others how much I am enjoying it and that the 400 is a very nice vehicle.

The problem is trying to keep the rpms down below 4000 during the break in is almost impossible and possibly dangerous. I find myself paying more attention of the tachometer and even then acceleration is too slow for our normal (Vancouver city) traffic. Ahem....I only have about 100 kms and already I'm getting all kinds of compliments from joe public.

Most hard core sport bike types, don't understand it. I visited a local hang out and was approached by a couple of people while they simply ignored the 150 mph rice, boiled beans (English) and spagetti rocket ships. I can't wait for the next sunny day.

Timothy

·
Registered
73 Posts
got yours...

Congrats Timothy, now you have something to use that extra muffler
on.

I agree about it being difficult to hold down the break-in revs....I
modified the procedure slightly. During the first 600 miles, I tried to
keep the rpms 5000 and below, not going over 4000 is just too difficult.
Then up to 1000 miles, I try to keep it at 6000 rpms and below...its
worked for me.

Good luck, and keep the shiny side up....

Gib McKain

·
Registered
793 Posts
Your 400 will get more powerful as its broken-in after a few hundred miles.

That stressed vibration it gets right now while accelerating above 4800rpm
will get replaced with a power to spare feeling.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Timothy,

Just a note on break in RPM.

My 250 has same instructions to keep under 4,000rpm.

But the manual indicates that the clutch fully engages @ 4,500rpm.

So with that in mind I rode between 5,000-5,500rpm to break inn.

At 4,000rpm is is only doing app. 40-45kph

And I also let It rev to full throttle (6,000rpm then the RPM raises as speed goes up) to get to the speed you require then back off, this helps bed the rings in, I would do this even in the middle of a take off start slow then full throttle then back off again.

Not every time you take off once or twice each trip. (@ operating temp.)

Rgds Greg ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats!

Cheers on the new bike Tim! I'm sure you're excited as I was when I got mine home. Unfortunately, it rained in sunny SoCal all weekend, so I didn't even have a chance to get a short ride in (not that crazy about riding in the rain!).

Anyway, yeah, the 4000 rpm thing is a joke. I've given myself an extra 1000 rpm's to play with, and occassionally have hit close to 6000. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't abuse the engine.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opinions!!

Thanks for all the advice....I go home every night and gone darn it, the days ends up with lousy Vancouver weather. I hate to get the thing dirty so soon. I haven't even hit the 100 km mark and it's next to impossible to get a good nights rest without a visit to the shed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts