Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha dealer got a new Yamaha Majesty 400. Suzuki has nothing to worry about, in my opinion.

It looks to me like Yamaha said "let's look at the Burgman 400 spec sheet and ensure we beat it in every catagory." And, to be sure, the Majesty is a more capable machine on paper.

The Majesty has DOHC while the Burgman is SOHC and the Majesty's engine is bigger. Also, the Majesty has more legroom, and the trunk is 60 Litre compared to 55 Litre for the Burgman. Also, the tires and brakes are
a little bigger.

But just looking at the machine, frankly, it was like comparing a Ford Focus to a Honda Civic. Yeah, on paper everything seems competetive but reality shows the Civic being a better machine.

To start with, the Burgman trunk is easier to get to as the whole seat flips up and is lighted. The Majesty has the driver's seat tilt up and the area
under the passenger seat is a pain in the butt to get to. I don't think that you would easily utilize half the trunk because of this design issue. The glovebox on the Majesty has two doors and neither one is as convenient as the single door on the Burgman. The top closable storage boxes in the dash of the Burgman do not exist on the Majesty.

Then the details are missing. The Burgman has a chrome heat shield on the muffler and chrome mirrors. The Majesty has what appears to be a brushed aluminum "look" cover for the muffler and, frankly, "cheap" plastic mirrors. Also, the floorboards have no design on the treads, but rather are as flat as a piece of paper. The passenger backrest, standard on the Burgman, is not on the Majesty. Ironically, the switchgear seems to be from the same manufacturer as the switches were almost identical between the two.

The list goes on. The two shocks on the Majesty stand out like some sort of afterthought, like the Silver Wing and Reflex while the Burgman has a hidden monoshock. Also, the Burgman "preload" adjustment is simply a hydraulic adjustment knob under the left rear fender. I would think that on the Majesty, with the shocks, you would have to get a tool out to adjust the preload.

The trump card is that the Majesty is more money. Also, the silver color is more of a grey and I didn't much like it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Interesting points, and as you said on paper it sounds like a better machine while it may not be. .On the other hand I hope it is a good scooter only because it shows a trend
---Scooters are making a inroad in the two wheel scene--
I really don't think right now Suzuki has any competition and if they don't fall asleep at the switch the other brands will only help both scootering (nice word) and Suzuki.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The frame seems more innovative.

But considering the weight difference ( a mere 8 Kg difference in the Majesty's favour) - I cannot understand why anybody would choose it over a TMAX - apart from it not being on sale in the country where you reside. :wink:

It is strange strategy that Yamaha are pursuing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good points, that's the most comprehensive comparison I've yet read of the US Madge 400 vs. Burg. I know the Yammy gets high marks in performance, reliablity, and is a top seller in Europe, but there seems to be points for and against each, with the bottom line being - no reason to change from one to the other.

Now, if Yammy imports the TMax, that's a horse of another color.

Peace.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could run out there with my digital still and get some photos of both to compare if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
bechtoea said:
I could run out there with my digital still and get some photos of both to compare if anyone is interested.
Go on then - we're on! :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do it tonight after work. I'll try to get them posted tonight.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pictures are posted. I did not try to post any pictures that are already on the Yamaha web site. Also, I did post low quality photos so they load a bit faster. Finally, no I am not a professional photographer plus I didn't have much to work with (I am just kidding, Yamaha fans!!!)

By the way, I sat on a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 (as in CC's) cruiser while there. It's dry weight is heavier than a gold wing. I am six foot and 240 and even with no gas in the tank, it took an extremely big effort on my part to stand it up from the sidestand. That's crazy!!!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I now see what you mean about the rear trunk storage being difficult to access. Any chance they're going to let you test drive the Majesty so we can get a drive / performance comparison. Hate to ask you to 'suffer' through a test ride for us. :roll: But it's all in the name of science. :lol:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt it, but if there are any recalls or anything that would allow them to have to test ride the bike, then maybe I can squeeze one in.

What I can do is see if one of them want to ride my Burgie and the Majesty back to back and get a real unbiased opinion from them.

Oh, I forgot to mention...the backrest is NOT adjustable on the Majesty.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Interesting. As the Madge roll out gets underway and units start hitting the road, it will be interesting to see the reviews.

Peace.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
So which magazine will do the first 400cc scooter "shootout" comparison test? Cycle World? Rider? And will they actually give 0-60 stats this time? I'd like to see a realistic test with an eye toward touring capability as well as urban commuting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts