Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching this for months and this forum was very informative. I bought a 2005 Burgman 400. It will be delivered next week. I do have a couple of questions. I would like to get a trunk. I am having the Suzuki luggage rack put on by the dealer. I have seen many examples of the GIVI trunk. But is there something a little less expensive?
Does anyone have an alarm system? What do you reccomend? I was looking at the Gorilla Ultra-Compact Cycle Alarm. It looks simple to install (That is very important) And not to expensive.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the great discussions, I have already learned so much!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congratulations, Rich, and welcome to ICOBO!

Steve

Remember to Gear up!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rich, Congratulations. and welcome.

You mite take a look on Ebay, since you have (or will have) the rack you can put almost any travel trunk back there -with in limits-
As far as a cycle alarm goes.
I use a brand called "smith & Wesson" it covers just about all I own. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase Rich. in regards to alarms I believe that it is one area of discussion that we havent really covered to any extent on this forum.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
richlewman wrote (snipped)
Does anyone have an alarm system? What do you reccomend? I was looking at the Gorilla Ultra-Compact Cycle Alarm. It looks simple to install (That is very important) And not to expensive.
If you do a Google search for "motorcycle alarms" you should get plenty.

Any Motorcycle alarm will work on your scooter. I would also check with the dealer to see if he has any recommendations.
There are plenty out there. :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
One thing about putting a generic top case on the 400 is that it doesn't have a flat surface (like the 650) to bolt a trunk onto. You'll have to build a bracket that bolts into the back of the passenger backrest like the Givi mount.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I got this, a VIp trunk. Cost me with shipping, $135
The givi trunk is 3 times that much.

http://shop.vendio.com/evan2002/category/6077/

I bought a givi rack for it, but i only ended up using the lower half. So I saved the upper half just in case, I ever stumble across a great deal on a givi E52 trunk down the road.
If you use the upper part of the givi rack, you'll have to cut off the locking knobs. Then it isn't usable for a givi trunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question on seating?

Just got my Burgman 650 a week ago and love it. I had a 2001 BMW R1200C, much nicer ride on the burgman.
Questing is ..can the seat be lowered a bit? and the passenger's seat is a bit to wide for my wife, as anyone seen or done somting about this?

I also have changed the original winshield with a GIVI, quite a difference, no buffering and quite an improvement.

I have almost 735km in a week or so.
Thank :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi richlewman welcome to the forum. :hello2:

There are many options for trunks for the 400 and some pics in the gallery may help (try a search).

I think that the Givi is the better quality - but then I would say that ! (hardly likely to diss my own purchasing decisions)! :) :lol:

Congrats on the bike.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Question on seating?

ve2uy said:
Questing is ..can the seat be lowered a bit? and the passenger's seat is a bit to wide for my wife, as anyone seen or done somting about this?
:D
Hi Ve2uy ( :scratch: ) - welcome to the forum. :hello2:

Yes the seat can be lowered a wee bit or you can get a customised Corbin for mucho $$$$. There have been some on this forum who have tinkered with seat height.

As for the passenger seat. This may be more difficult. What is the exact problem? I think it is no good if wife is wearing a tight mini skirt but assuming that is not the problem could it be that her legs are too short to reach the foot rests comfortably - an easier solution may be to block them up with an insert - I think this has been done by a forum member (help BillM).

Anyways - glad you are enjoying your new Burger. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quest of seat height

Thanks for the reply. She can reach the floor boards but she find the seat to wide at the tigh and get sore in the crotch...women proble you!?
As far as the seat height, did they remove padding? :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Cheers Bill! :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Quest of seat height

ve2uy said:
...She can reach the floor boards but she find the seat to wide at the tigh and get sore in the crotch...
Adding the floorboard risers can help with that. It makes it more like sitting on a wide chair rather than straddling over a too-wide saddle.

I don't see the risers on the accessories page of the Suzuki USA Web site, but I know they are offered someplace. They add about 3 - 4 inches of height. Making your own shouldn't be too difficult, and would almost certainly be cheaper.

HTH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts